Why become a member? ×

Open mindedness

ARGH

Not read the whole thread so sorry if this has been said but I think 'openmindedness' is a great tendency to have but I would temper it with the thought that it has to be accompanied by some degree of judicious editing.

Frinstance, if you decide you don't like Country and Western music, then don't buy it, listen to it or look for it. If someone says 'listen to this bit of Country music', then by all means do so with an open mind but, when you are looking to explore a new area of listening, it is not closed minded to choose not to start in an area that you have previously found uninspiring. It is just a judicious use of prioritising.

Edited by bilbo230763

I think the thread title is a bit of a misnomer - the OP's concern is more that bass playing is in a state of stagnation, both in terms of technique, and the in technology (for want of a better word) of the instrument itself, and therefore is doomed to extinction, unless we force ourselves to evolve & transcend our self-imposed limitations.

J.

Its changing and growing.

Stuff that was turning heads in my early days (early 80s) is old hat now. THumping and popping a la Stanley Clarke/Larry Graham is unrecognisable in Wooten et al and the technique of people like Feraud and Gwizdala is a lot more advanced than that of Jaco and Clarke, even Jeff Berlin is being left behind IMO. The problem with incremental change is that it is impossible to spot in real time and can only be looked at with hindsight. So, revisit this thread in 2018 and we will know whether we knew what we were talking about. :)

This thread is both confusing and confused. I really don't know what the OP is getting at. Every time he tries to explain himself it gets more confusing.

Is the thrust of this thread:
1) If the bass instrument does not progress technologically it will disappear.
or
2) If bassists do not come up with new techniques the bass will disappear.

Also, why does it matter if the bass dies out? If in three hundred years there's no such thing as a bass guitar, but something else is playing the low notes, why does that matter?

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='133523' date='Feb 4 2008, 12:05 PM']If in three hundred years there's no such thing as a bass guitar, but something else is playing the low notes, why does that matter?[/quote]
There will still be Led Zep tribute bands - same as we are still playing Mozart now.

Would it not depend on [i]what[/i] he played on that fretless seven? Or would you see the fact that he has that instrument as a sign that in two weeks' time he'll be trying to shoehorn tapping solos in all over the shop?

I can imagine that must frustrate the seven-players. On the other hand, ARGH's point does seem to be that he doesn't want to play simple holding patterns. Is he making it more difficult for trad-rock seven-players to get gigs by reinforcing a stereotype? Or is justifiably frustrated that te bass tend to hang in the background?

Tune in next week, batfans...

[quote name='Jase' post='133943' date='Feb 4 2008, 10:22 PM']we're waffling on about how there is nothing happening with the standard 4 string bass and that nobody seems to be taking the instrument forward, pushing boundaries, turning heads...all that sort of stuff :)[/quote]

Aye, Ronnie. :huh:

J.