Why become a member? ×

Decisions, decisions.....

3V17C

Ok, just thinking aloud really with this post but would appreciate peoples (sensible!) thoughts etc...

Basically, I work for myself as a freelance graphic/game artist but for over 6 months work has pretty much dried up apart from the odd small job. Times are very hard and I've also been looking around for a 'proper' job but there really is nothing about and I'm now at the verge of signing on. However.. I've just been pretty much offered a gig with an established tribute band who gig at least twice a week, every week all over the country and sometimes abroad too. The money from these gigs, along with the odd bit of small freelance work and maybe some bass teaching etc during the week would be enough for me to survive on - Ok I wouldn't be loaded but I'd be able to pay all the bills/mortgage etc and would get to travel/gig alot which I like to do (I've never really been suited to a 9 to 5 in an office anyway!)

Now I know there's lots of differences of opinion on the whole tribute band thing on here and thats not really the point - I can live with playing other peoples songs night after night and compromising what little musical integrity I have left! The main thing for me really is that it would mean I'd have to leave my current covers band who I consider all to be very good friends and I feel strong loyalties to them especially as they've said in the past that if I was to leave they'd split up. Double the guilt when considering the new singer who joined a couple of months ago left his regular band of 15 years to join up with us! We don't/can't gig anywhere near regularly enough to make the same kind of money as I would with the tribute band thing and if I'm honest, at the moment, money (or lack of it) is a big issue and they are all aware of this so I'd hope they'd be understanding. I also think that now with the new singer there is much more enthusiasm in the band so they may be a bit more inclined to keep things going if I was to jump ship.

Its awkward also because if the tribute thing happens, it'll happen quick with talk of starting gigging with them in 3 weeks meaning current band would have to cancel gigs if they did decide to keep going. I think maybe that I've got to be a little bit mercenary here and look out for number one. I know if it was the other way round that I'd have no problem if one of them wanted to leave for the same reason.

I've got a couple of originals bands that I currently play with too but neither of those really do much so that won't be a great loss.

There are other issues to consider - for starters I'd have to clear it with the ex-missus regarding being away gigging so often and seeing my daughter etc but I think she'll be ok with it.. (hopefully!!)
Also I've not actually met the tribute band yet - all discussions so far have been with their manager so theres always the chance that that may not want me and/or I may not want to join them for whatever reason as its going to mean a lot of together time and if one of them is an idiot I know i'll have a very small tolerance for them!! Also, for authenticity I'll have to play with a pick!! Yoinks!

Anyways, like I say just random ponderings!!!

peace

C

If I were in your situation I'd have no hesitation.

If you are at the point of having to sign on to keep a roof over your head and food on the table then forget all the stuff about 'compromising by playing in a tribute band', you should look at this offer as a well timed liferaft and jump on.

Good luck with it :)

Sounds like an easy choice to me.
The biggest problem would be with regards to your daughter,but if the band only does a couple a week,you'll probably have more time to see her.
If the rest of your band have got anything about them,they will in support of you,especially as you aren't out regularly.With a busy band you'll know your gigs way in advance,so it makes it pretty easy to balance both bands. If your current gigs aren't regular,they may be willing to work with your schedule.

Do it mate.
Gotta look after number one! Anyone who gets annoyed with you for doing this needs a little slap because ehy're not your friends. All of my mates would love me to be given the chance to travel around with a band and actually make money out of being a bassist!
Do it! Grab it by the horns! Show 'em who's boss! Additional generic motivational phrase!

Truckstop

Providing your home life can support it, then give it a go.

If you commit to the project well and see through your contract time, or whatever, then no one will/should blame you if you have to leave for personal reasons.

Not quite so sure you should just do it to get out of a financial hole, but if you act properly and all parties are pragmatic and professional about it, then it could work out.

Explain to your current band what you have to do...if they are mates, they may be sorry, but should understand.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1156960' date='Mar 10 2011, 05:40 PM']Not quite so sure you should just do it to get out of a financial hole, but if you act properly and all parties are pragmatic and professional about it, then it could work out.[/quote]

Well, its not [i]purely[/i] to get out a financial hole although that is a big part or it admittedly. I do also like the idea of making a living as a musician and having done some touring last year I have kinda got a taste for it again so the opportunity of playing all over the country/abroad appeals too. Also the music is a tribute to a band from my youth who I used to be very much into so could be kinda fun dressing up and going out there playing their material. On closer inspection, some of the songs/basslines aren't as simple as I would have imagined so gonna take a bit of work!
cheers

C

My mate is having some time off from a tribute band and he misses it terribly. They go everywhere and he is gutted he is missing tours to Auz, Brazil, Ukraine etc ..

They seem to do things well, so all most of us want is a nice gig, be appreciated and be looked after.

Best of luck with it.

(if you can excuse input from a 'new guy)...

No-one has really touched on this aspect - your relationship with your daughter. Do you get on relatively well with your ex, or does she back-stab you to your daughter? Will your time with your daughter decrease significantly, or can it be 'worked around'? Is she old enough to understand what is going on?

If it wasn't for the family aspect I would say - go for it. But as somone who has ended up a long way away from a child after the ex took advantage of the situation, I might suggest a little caution and consideration being given to the current and future relationship with your daughter.

[quote name='OzMike' post='1157015' date='Mar 10 2011, 06:25 PM'](if you can excuse input from a 'new guy)...

No-one has really touched on this aspect - your relationship with your daughter. Do you get on relatively well with your ex, or does she back-stab you to your daughter? Will your time with your daughter decrease significantly, or can it be 'worked around'? Is she old enough to understand what is going on?

If it wasn't for the family aspect I would say - go for it. But as somone who has ended up a long way away from a child after the ex took advantage of the situation, I might suggest a little caution and consideration being given to the current and future relationship with your daughter.[/quote]

my daughter is 9 and she knows that I like gigging etc and is used to me going away for odd weeks at a time to do so. Me and my ex get on reasonably well and as she has just started a new job the fact that i'll mostly be able to have my daughter during the week should be a good thing. Plus her car has conked out this week so i'm buttering her up by driving her around everywhere to earn a few brownie points in the bank!! :)

cheers

C

Well, if your family life is going to be ok with things (sounds from the above like it's in a pretty good place!) then I'd say go for it - even if you don't end up staying long term with this tribute band, it's on your CV and could be a leg up to even bigger and better things. The chance to go 'pro' and actually earn a reliable living doesn't come for many of us, so if you're in the position to do it then I'd say get in there!!

Best of luck with whatever you choose :)

I found myself in a very similar situation about 10 years ago - minus your domestic issues - except that the tribute band I was approached by were doing 5 gigs a week on an ongoing basis both UK and abroad.

In all honesty, my only issue was whether I would physically be able to manage that frequency of gigging and the travel it obviously entailed.

I decided to do it and I left the band I was with at the time so that I could commit to the new band. To cut a long story short, I really enjoyed my time with the band, although I did only manage a few months with them. I've certainly never regretted it though and it really sharpens up your technique playing that regularly.

That is probably no help at all to you in making a decision, but it's my 2 pence worth.

If I were you, I would take the job [b]if it is firmly offered[/b]. Apart from anything else, you don't know what other things it could lead to!! :)

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Edited by bassicinstinct

Professional musician or dole? No brainer. The trouble with your situation is that you know what you want to do but it is not the 'easy route' and it is inevitable that people are going to be put out. One of the hardest lessons we ever learn as human beings is that, sometimes, doing the right thing can upset as many people as doing the wrong thing. Managing such situtaions takes a degree of emotional maturity that some lack.

There is a third way. You could stay with your old and but get a dep in for gigs you can't do. I don't know what kind of stuff your 'old' band play but assume that, with a bit of thought, they could find a dep easily enough - especially if they were a reader (charts or dots). There are loads of us in Suffolk so the may be someone on here who can fill in for gigs you can't do. If you want to make music your living, it is pretty much inevitable that you are going to have to have a few irons in the fire at any one time and most professionals are willing and able to accommodate properly prepared deps.