Why become a member? ×

I am looking to get a rig for bigger gigs

Blademan_98

The little 50w Orange is great for practicing and for small (acoustic) pub gigs.

I intended to use it for bigger gigs (with my electric band) by putting it through the PA.

This has received a few complaints from the singer......

So, I am thinking 250 - 300w head and a 4x10 cab.

I know it's been discussed before but what are your personal thoughts on power for venues (clubs etc).

Cheers
Blademan

Flavour of the month around here is the Hartke LH series. The 500 watt version is more than enough for most venues.
Theres also the Orange Bass Terror.
A 4x10 is perfect for the larger venues, up to about 600 capacity. After that I'd personally add a 1x15 or a 2x10.
In your average club (~250 capacity) a good 2x10 will do the job.

Fridges are for stadiums IMO.

The extension cab issue is also one I would like to clear up!

Why is a 1 x 15 standard to add to the rig?

A 2 x 12 with a 4 x 10 would make sense (not that I think I will need it!).

I am thinking about a Trace Elliot head and 4 x 10 cab.

BUT I really would like to go down the Orange root :)

[quote name='Spike Vincent' post='1155932' date='Mar 9 2011, 09:57 PM']You need to be twice as loud as the guitarist,so taking headroom into consideration an Ampeg SVT with an 8x10 is the only viable option.[/quote]

:)

But in reality, I would need a roadie to get it on stage :)

Most people add a 1x15 because the general belief is that it gives extra low end. I don't know about that personally but they do give a different tone. 4x10s are my weapon of choice, but it depends what works for you really, try a bunch out if you get the chance.

Orange get a lot of love though I've not tried them myself. I've tried Trace Elliot but they weren't my cup of tea

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1155930' date='Mar 9 2011, 09:57 PM']The extension cab issue is also one I would like to clear up!

Why is a 1 x 15 standard to add to the rig?

A 2 x 12 with a 4 x 10 would make sense (not that I think I will need it!).

I am thinking about a Trace Elliot head and 4 x 10 cab.

BUT I really would like to go down the Orange root :)[/quote]
The 1x15 + 4x10 is merely a marketing ploy. 2 1x15s or 2 4x10s would be a better option. I'd chose 2 2X10s or 2 2x12s stacked vertical myself.

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1155942' date='Mar 9 2011, 10:03 PM']Orange get a lot of love though I've not tried them myself. I've tried Trace Elliot but they weren't my cup of tea[/quote]

May I ask why?

I just don't have enough experience of the different rigs :)

A friend has an old AH250 running through a 1 x 15 only and the tone was great.

Another player who I have recorded regularly uses an Ampeg through a 4 x 10 and it also sounded good.

To be honest I've not heard anything (whilst at gigs) that I thought was really bad.

I know it's a matter of taste but when you are thinking of spending £600 - £800 on a rig, it needs to be right!

It's why I am asking for opinions as I have no idea!

Very different tones from the Trace Elliot and Orange amps. If you are into Orange then grab a Bass terror. Personally I think they sound muck but I've only come across them at Metal gigs. Great tone and Metal seems to be a thing of the past.
I'm not up with the technical end of it but there are tonal differences between speaker diameters. Most 10's have the same (or greater) frequency range as 15's but put out a tighter sound. My Mag 410 has a deeper sound than most of my 1x15's. The 15's however add a little 'width' to the tone.

Edit: just realised that unless you are micing the bass cab(s), which is rarely done live, then speaker size/cab size/how you stack them is irrelevent. In most large clubs the cabs are just backline/monitors. Everything the crowd hears will be from FOH. So you're talking subs, mids and tweeters.

Edited by Mog

For what it's worth IMHO you could look for a second hand Gallien Krueger combo.

RB400 MK111 m(1X15) RB 700 (2X10) etc. If you need to move more air add an extension cab.

I used the RB400 1X15 for a few years and was fine till I got the gas for bigger GK kit.

Edited by gelfin

The Trace Elliot gear I've tried out didn't have a very defined tone. The green lights were pretty though! Might be different to your own ears though :)

I'd say your best bet is to find a music shop with a variety of amps and just test them out to your heart's content

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1155985' date='Mar 9 2011, 10:25 PM']If you're happy to go 2nd hand, then there's a few markbass heads in the For Sale section on here for @ £400 & then you can get a decent cab for @ £3-400.[/quote]

I am happy with second hand.

I have seen the markbass heads on here and wondered what they are like (I have not heard one live).

It's probably a bit cheeky asking for a demo in a shop then buying one off Basschat!

(thinking of the thread by Pete)

:)

If you're playing club gigs, frankly you'll have PA support and you won't need a hugely powerful amp. Your amp will just be used for a monitor because you'll end up going through the PA. 50w isn't going to be heard on stage in a club though, even if all you need is a monitor. So I recommend the lower end Ashdown gear - either the Ashdown EB 180 watt combos or the Mag 300 combos/amps/cabs. They'll give you more than enough volume onstage and they're cheap and have a great sound.

Markbass heads are great, lightweight, loud amps with a very clear tone. Some people say they don't sound amazing solo'd, but truly shine in a band mix. I love mine no matter what! They make my budget bass sound as expensive as stage lighting makes it look :)

With that budget I would defo look for the best lightweight head and any half decent cab which you can upgrade at a later date. For all the squabling I don't think any of the class D heads would be bad for the OP. I'm not anti MarkBass as such but poptart managed to get my wallet opened up further on the day as I preferred the Genz Benz clarity over the MB and I'm not too keen on the yellow as vein as that is :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Monkothehill is selling his MB 2x10 combo for £650 in the For Sale section. I can vouch that they're superb combos (probably one of the best I've tried, hence own one) & if you didn't like it, you could always sell it on for the same money.

Ridiculously loud for a 2x10.