Why become a member? ×

So my Rickenbacker arrived!

tomb

[quote name='hellothere' post='1156143' date='Mar 10 2011, 02:08 AM']That is a strange reason to doubt it lol.

So do you like how this plays and sounds more or less than the others you have tried?[/quote]

plays way better then the Maison, no doubt about it, not as good as the Fender. soundwise again better then the Maison but closer to it then to the Fender, well at least to my taste
as far as looks go, this wins by a mile

i did try to capture its sound earlier for you guys to hear it by my camera fails to capture the amps sound for some reason O.o

Edited by tomb

[quote name='tom1946' post='1156181' date='Mar 10 2011, 07:36 AM']How come he is giving you 400 euros when you paid 250?[/quote]
I think the 400 is his total budget once he gets the 250 back ie. he has an extra 150 to add to it since buying it.

It seems you can hold down a full-time job at 13 too in Portugal. :)

[quote name='tomb' post='1156122' date='Mar 10 2011, 01:27 AM']and bass being returned on saturday...[/quote]
Personally given your comments on this bass, your expectations etc I feel this is the right move.

Somehow I think you'll never be totally happy with this bass. Good luck with your search.

I agree that letting it go at this stage is your best bet. You will never be happy and you will always look at it knowing its not what you wanted.

400euros will bag you a decent s/h jazz or p-bass. you would be able to buy one of the Epiphone EB basses.

You honestly have loads of choices in the market.

Regardless of what anyone on here says, do what you want with the bass however if it was me I would have got shot of it on the first day :)

I can see where the OP is coming from here. Personally i would be a bit miffed as well, no matter how nice it looks.
I would speak to the seller to let him know my concern, maybe get some money back, but probably keep the bass IF it sounded, played and looked good.

Going by those pics it certainly looks very nice (but then again, so do the Sue Ryder basses :) ) but if i wasnt 100% with the bass itself, and feeling a bit done over as far as being told it was one thing and it isn't, i would take it back before my brain made it in to something a lot bigger than it is.

[quote name='tomb' post='1156138' date='Mar 10 2011, 01:57 AM']is it a Gehrson? is it an Aztec? is it Ibanez like the Rickenbacker guy said? nobody is sure...[/quote]
I know perfectly well what it [i]isn't[/i].

It is absolutely not an Ibanez. It isn't an "Aztec" - this was a European importer's rebrand used on instruments made in Japan in the 70s by Rokkomann in Kobe.

Your bass is definitely, positively not Japanese - this isn't a guess. I think it's Italian, probably a Gherson, because it has a lot of construction similarities to the Gherson Rick copies, these have idiosyncrasies which don't appear on any other copy. The cream-coloured humbucker, assuming it's original (which I doubt) is the same as ones which appear on other late 70s/early 80s Italian-made basses.

I suspect you don't know a great deal about adjusting & setting-up a bass to make it play & sound good. For example the differing output of your pickups - which is very likely to be down to the high-output humbucker in the neck, and a low-gain single-coil in the bridge position - can be balanced by adjusting the pickup heights. Alternatively there may be a minor wiring issue, or perhaps the internal circuit copies a real Rick (like most old Fakers did) by having a bass-cut capacitor wired into the bridge pickup circuit. A lot of people bypass this to liberate more output & low-end from the bridge pup.

The bass would benefit from a proper setup - you would be in a much better position to make an informed decision if it played & sounded at its best, but either way, trading this in for a cheap, low-end, Chinese-made starter bass is a decision you will regret, I can guarantee that.

J.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1156311' date='Mar 10 2011, 10:03 AM']I can see where the OP is coming from here. Personally i would be a bit miffed as well, no matter how nice it looks.
I would speak to the seller to let him know my concern, maybe get some money back, but probably keep the bass IF it sounded, played and looked good.

Going by those pics it certainly looks very nice (but then again, so do the Sue Ryder basses :) ) but if i wasnt 100% with the bass itself, and feeling a bit done over as far as being told it was one thing and it isn't, i would take it back before my brain made it in to something a lot bigger than it is.[/quote]
Personally - and maybe this is just me - but I'd be a bloody sight happier if a "Rickenbacker" I'd bought from some 70-year old guy for €250 turned out to be a copy.

If it was real I'd feel like I'd robbed the poor old sod.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1156316' date='Mar 10 2011, 10:08 AM']Personally - and maybe this is just me - but I'd be a bloody sight happier if a "Rickenbacker" I'd bought from some 70-year old guy for €250 turned out to be a copy.

J.[/quote]

oh you soft sod :)

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1156316' date='Mar 10 2011, 10:08 AM']Personally - and maybe this is just me - but I'd be a bloody sight happier if a "Rickenbacker" I'd bought from some 70-year old guy for €250 turned out to be a copy.

J.[/quote]

Fair play, me I'd be thinking - kerching!!

[quote name='Johnston' post='1156421' date='Mar 10 2011, 11:37 AM']What did the old fella say when he was informed it wasn't a Real ricky??[/quote]

He told me to hold on to it while he contacts the store where he bought it, the store is in business and its the same owner according to him

[quote name='tomb' post='1156585' date='Mar 10 2011, 01:34 PM']He told me to hold on to it while he contacts the store where he bought it, the store is in business and its the same owner according to him[/quote]

hmmmm, regardless of what is said by either the sho owner or your family friend.......this may be the start of you getting the runaround.

[quote name='tomb' post='1156585' date='Mar 10 2011, 01:34 PM']He told me to hold on to it while he contacts the store where he bought it, the store is in business and its the same owner according to him[/quote]

I would have thought the store is his problem, not yours. If its fake (and i think its been established that it is) then you really don't want to be stuck in the middle of this.
Get your money back off him and let him deal with the store.

This is a 1976 4001 that belongs to my Mrs

I know that if she was wanting to sell it she would want more than 250 of anything anything for it (try another 0 on the end) !

But as others have said, what you have payed for and what you have got is still a pretty good deal !
have a look around an see what you can get for 250 ! not a lot of anything ! (a sue ryder bass maby :) )

Well, if you get stuck with it I don't mind taking it off your hands when I go home (Porto) for the holidays. If you live in the neighbourhood, we can even spare it scary a trip in the CTT trucks.

[quote name='MythSte' post='1156135' date='Mar 10 2011, 01:53 AM']Gotta be honest buddy, Ric or not that bass will eat both those other basses you've mentioned for breakfast.[/quote]

GSRs aren't the best basses but for the Money the RBX 374 and 375 are fantastic! Great quick 24 fret neck, comfertable to play look awesome! (To me!) and importantly sound good!

Though i currently play a 6 string Ibanez, i borrowed a 375 for ages and never wanted to give it back!

I'll probably buy one soon enough...

Just my opinion though!

I've been called a mad man for not liking Jazz basses, so what do i know!? :) :)

(Not much then.... thought i'd save someone from saying it! haha)