Why become a member? ×

Budget acoustic/electro acoustic bass

Marky L

I want to get hold of a budget acoustic bass, ideally used to bring the price right down, but I really have little idea of what is worth considering or stepping well away from.

Preferably something with a reasonable un-amped volume for some duet work with my singer (and his acoustic guitar) and also for an after school club teaching kids the basics.

Any hints, tips, advice appreciated.

Ta muchly :)

Regret to report that a single acoustic guitar will easily drown out an acoustic bass guitar - they just don't produce enough volume on their own. I had a rehearsal round someone's house with an ABG versus a single acoustic guitar and a singer. Couldn't hear myself at all - had to plug in anyway.

[quote name='neepheid' post='1152631' date='Mar 7 2011, 04:08 PM']Regret to report that a single acoustic guitar will easily drown out an acoustic bass guitar - they just don't produce enough volume on their own.[/quote]

plus the one.

fine for solo practice, but if you're going to play with anyone else...

you'll end up using an amp anyway.

Whilst I agree with the original reply, go for one with a bigger body and decent soundhole as that will kick out the volume a lot more. I had an old Aria that was huge and that sounded fine with an acoustic guitar. I say "old Aria", I'm only going back 7yrs and I think Aria still do a large bodied acoustic bass.

Edited by BurritoBass

Thanks for the replies. I had heard about the volume issue before and that is a concern, but it looks like there could be hope!

I am quite tempted by the B grade gear that Aria are shifting on Ebay, though they require varying states of repair but there is one on there with damage to the body (no biggie) and the electrics not working which I'm sure could be solvable.

• 1 month later...

I've seen a few VERY cheap ABGs on eBay (sub £100), which I'm tempted by as my budget for one is £150. I'm not bothered about volume or cosmetics, I just want to be convinced they won't fall to pieces and have the bridge pulled off for example.

Any knowledge thereof? Brands like Cheetah, Swift, Gear4Music, Lindo etc.

In my experience these cheapy ones are effin awful - poorly put together, dodgy intonation (which with a fixed bridge you can do very little about) - the one I had the unfortunate encounter with had a dodgy piezo where the A string was way quieter than the others when plugged in. You can't expect miracles for £50 but that watered down excuse of an instrument made me cry. I freecycled it in the end - I couldn't ask for money for it and keep a clear conscience.

If your budget is £150 then you could pick up something way better like a second hand Ibanez AEB.

Deffo go for something second hand for around £150 - this kind of price point should maximise your budget with regards to the quality/price trade-off. Keep an eye out locally and you might get a bargain.

With regards to volume, I use a pic when playing with other musicians and this provides enough attack to be heard comfortably.