Why become a member? ×

The originals band playing pubs experiment

Low End Bee

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1379368666' post='2211971']
Pub gig to me is 2x45, pubs makes on the bar to pay band. Regular music nights, mainly covers.

If the pub has a 'function' room and sells tickets on the door, then not a typical pub gig. IMO
[/quote]

This ... plus the band are contractually obliged to set up in front of the door to the Gents toilet.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1379367748' post='2211955']
BTW can someone give a definition of a "Pub Gig"?

Is it simply a gig in a pub, or is there more to it than that? Because although I do most of my gigs in venues that are pubs they don't seem to have much in common with a lot of what gets described as a pub gig on here.
[/quote]

My definition? Band has to supply the PA. No stage. Free on the door. Probably only does music Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Edited by Low End Bee

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1379404448' post='2212149']
This ... plus the band are contractually obliged to set up in front of the door to the Gents toilet.
[/quote]

I played for a darts team years ago and one of the pubs we played at had the gents toilet door between the board and where you stood to throw... Who's idea was that... ridiculous...

Rob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1379414490' post='2212293']
I played for a darts team years ago and one of the pubs we played at had the gents toilet door between the board and where you stood to throw... Who's idea was that... ridiculous...

Rob
[/quote]

You just need to know the House Rules ... earlobe of a passing punter = Double Top.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1379324390' post='2211167']
Terrific fun.
Kicking leads out of pedal boards mid song. Squealing PA's. Taking a step back so people can get to the loo/go out for a fag. Playing Chic's Good Times with the lyrics to Wham Rap to fill in some time. Lots of dancing. Gentle heckling and a close proximty to lubricated audience members.
Good crowd despite the biblical rain.And the landlord wants us back.
[/quote]

Sorry I missed it Ad, sounds like it was good fun.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1379328870' post='2211225']
Most memorable moment for me was the inappropriately-dressed 20-something who turned up as part of an inebriated crowd halfway through the second set.

Within 10 minutes, she was walking through the pub clutching both a double G&T and a full glass of Chardonnay in her left hand, leaving her right hand free to accept the largest short I've ever seen (I'm guessing it was a triple vodka of some sort) which she knocked back in one.

She then stood there in a daze for several minutes, weaving and wobbling and being held up by two friends, while she very obviously considered vomiting over much of the audience.

Good times.
[/quote]

Even sorrier after reading that :lol:

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1379404888' post='2212153']
My definition? Band has to supply the PA. No stage. Free on the door. Probably only does music Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
[/quote]

That`s how I`d describe them too. Would also say generally only one band who does 2 x 45/60 min sets.