Why become a member? ×

What do I have to visit in London

Faithless

So, I'm going to London for the first time, for three nights from Wednesday 2nd March to Saturday 5nd for a hang and for a pair of lessons from a fellow BC'er, Joe Hubbard, and I've been thinking (too late probably, but, oh well..) what places (shops, gigs,jams,exibitions - anything musical (or maybe not) ) should I check out..

So far in my list is jam session at Troy Bar on Friday (one of the best Lithuanian drummers is playing there regularly) and Bass Gallery in Camden..

Sadly, Bass Guitar Show and Janek Gwizdala's gigs will be happening week later..

I'm in quite a few sorts of music - mainly jazz/fusion, funk, latin, pop, etc., so if anyone knows a good gig to see, don't be shy :)

Anything else I should be checking out besides a bass shop and gigs?

cheers
Laimis

You need to go to the big museums!

[url="http://www.visitlondon.com/attractions/culture/major-museums"]http://www.visitlondon.com/attractions/culture/major-museums[/url]

On a timescale that short, you won't have time to do justice to any of the big museums. Save them for when you spend a couple of weeks here. I've spent 15 years working a few minutes away from the British Museum and there are still big chunks of it that I've never seen.

Similarly, don't spend your precious time on the tube travelling from place to place - London is BIG! If you want to do the Bass Gallery, then do Camden Market while you're there. Assuming that you'll be in the West End for some of the time, do Denmark Street while you're there (but don't buy anything :) ).

Avoid ALL the usual tourist nonsense. You really don't need to see Buckingham Palace or the Tower of London, Madame Tussauds is the most outrageous rip-off in Europe, the London Eye looks exactly the same when you get there as it does on TV.

The best thing about London isn't a few old buildings ... it's the buzz.

I'd try Ronnies and a walk around that area on the fri night if I were you... go for Sushi or --- (insert your choice here) have a wander, like Jack says just drink in a bit of the atmosphere it's a buzzing place. I'd go for a walk down to the river near westminster bridge, the city looks great from there and you are a 5/10 min walk from Trafalgar square, Covent garden and Soho.
It's definitely one of my favourite cities in the world, for me only New York and Berlin compare for sheer vibe.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1145295' date='Mar 1 2011, 02:18 AM']If you're having lessons from Joe you won't have time for sightseeing! I hear he gives out a lot of homework.

Hint: Learn where every note is on the instrument. I mean [i]every[/i] note!![/quote]

Huh, well it's cool with homework, I'm bringing my practice bits along (Tascam trainer, headphones, etc..) if I'll have homework to do before the second meeting (we'll have two).

And, what about that famous exercise, I've been doing it for a few weeks by now, so I know what the fuss is about.. :)

Oh, and I'll be living on the edge of second zone, so Camden and other places shouldn't be too far away to check out...

The Marquee Club, the Ealing Club and the Ken Colyer Club have all gone but the 100 Club, Oxford Street, is still open 7 days a week. This is the original gig, where it all started. This where the first US blues players where brought over to play with the Chris Barber Band, and where Alexis Korner and Cyril Davis started their Blues club which kicked off the whole "blues boom", as it was called, which turned into Rock and most of the other forms of music that followed. Just around the corner, another great club from that era which is still open is the Ronnie Scott Club.

If you are window shopping in Denmark Street (I wouldn't recommend you buy anything) you might as well walk a few minutes to the Covent Garden area where there is an open market and a lot of interesting shops.

Never been sight seeing in London, only ever there working. But this summer I'd love to try and catch this blokes tour of the tower. Like his sense of humour.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWFq-v7TKdQ&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWFq-v7TKdQ...feature=related[/url]

Comes in 4 parts. "Cram it all in before you die"

Edited by Slipperydick

I've arrived to London earlier today, and while I didn't manage to check out Aaron Parks gig at Ronnie's I planned - a bit too tired, want to stay fresh for tomorrow's lesson - I'm really diggin' all that London vibe you were talking about..
Looking forward to gettin' more of it.

easy
Faith

[quote name='Faithless' post='1145927' date='Mar 1 2011, 03:46 PM']Evenings for Thursday and Friday are sorted, but situation with Wednesday is not so good - can't seem to find a decent gig or a jam session that night..[/quote]

Weds night blues jam at the Coach and Horses in Leyton. Best blues jam in town.

[quote name='doctorbass' post='1148250' date='Mar 3 2011, 12:13 PM']Weds night blues jam at the Coach and Horses in Leyton. Best blues jam in town.[/quote]

A mate of mine, awsome bass player has countless gigs happening all the time, he plays jazz, balkan music etc etc etc....

@philwbass is his Twitter account, he often twitts about his gigs and some youtube videos for you to check out, drop him a line, top bloke, also check where Steve Lawson is playing that week on his website or @solobasssteve on Twitter.

Failing all that check Jazz Cafe in Camden on your wait to the gallery. (the first two options will be cheaper)

Just saw your post about being here already

Phil W is playing with Furniture tonight at

Furniture live at the Miller (with Marbles Improv)

The Miller
96 Snowsfields Road London Bridge
London SE1 3SS
United Kingdom
20 7407 269

[url="http://artistdata.sonicbids.com/phil-wain/shows/london-the-miller-mar-3-2011/538942/"]http://artistdata.sonicbids.com/phil-wain/...-3-2011/538942/[/url]

the wife n me flew down last October,i had plans to see the usual Tower Bridge,The Eye etc etc etc,actually the trip went Luton Airport-train to Kings x-pub in Soho-Chinese restaurant in Soho-hotel.(sleep).train Liverpool St-pub in Pudding Lane-train to Stansted airport-Glasgow airport...........900 quid lighter.
A few things amaze me about London,its cheaper to fly from Glasgow than commute from airport to London,Burger Kings are open at Kings X at 5am....discovered after waking with a hangover and needed a coke,getting from tube line to another is actually an Olympic sport,if you run out of essentials at 3am,ie-tabs,coke,bread,dildo,s....you can purchase them in SohoCarnaby St looks nothing like in the Austin Powers films.Next time ive vowed to stay sober and actually explore London,id never been before and basically blew a good weekend.

[quote name='dougie' post='1148437' date='Mar 3 2011, 02:50 PM']A few things amaze me about London,its cheaper to fly from Glasgow than commute from airport to London,Burger Kings are open at Kings X at 5am....discovered after waking with a hangover and needed a coke,getting from tube line to another is actually an Olympic sport,if you run out of essentials at 3am,ie-tabs,coke,bread,dildo,s....you can purchase them in SohoCarnaby St looks nothing like in the Austin Powers films.Next time ive vowed to stay sober and actually explore London,id never been before and basically blew a good weekend.[/quote]

A few things about non-londoners amaze me. Their inability to cross a busy road, and how they always seem to quickly fall behind when trying to follow me through a crowd :)

Should add as a general rule that seems to be more applicable in london than elsewhere, cabs are damn expensive, it's always worth checking for bus/tube alternatives.

[quote name='setekh' post='1150579' date='Mar 5 2011, 04:05 PM']On the same vein, where can one find good jazz next friday/saturday night?

[/thread hijack][/quote]

Man...

You want to go to London Bass Guitar Show next weekend - lots of top cats will be there doing their thing. Just google for the event.

[quote name='Faithless' post='1151038' date='Mar 5 2011, 11:12 PM']Man...

You want to go to London Bass Guitar Show next weekend - lots of top cats will be there doing their thing. Just google for the event.[/quote]
Oh, I'd like that. I'm not sure about my girlfriend, though :)

So, I got home from London last night.

I didn't really have the time/pleasure to hang a lot in town, because, as other folks mentioned it here before, Joe's lessons are way too busy to leave time to hang - so I simply spent most of my free time practising stuff.

I only got to hang a bit on Friday night, went to see my fellow countryman - drummer playing in a house band at Troy Bar, which was quite hip. (Although, it wasn't too hip when going back to my cribs at late night with all those drunk kids on streets and buses..)

Whatabout lessons from Joe (Joe Hubbard) - that guy is so good at what he does, it's just ridiculous.. Now, I was expecting it would be good even before our meeting, but it exceeded all my expectations..
To make it short, if you're [i]really [/i]dedicated to practice, and if there's one man in town you want to get lessons from, it's Joe, guys.

Edited by Faithless