Why become a member? ×

More is less

spinynorman

I have one bass that works for anything I do, whoever I'm playing with, whatever type of music. It's a Fender Precision, one passive pickup, one volume, one tone control, which I rarely touch.

I've had numerous other basses, with 2 pickups, various combinations of volume, blend and tone controls, filters, chokes, active and passive ... and they're all good for some things and not others.

Seems odd that the bass with fewest options seems to be the most versatile ....

I feel the same at the moment. Been through a few basses, active EQs etc but I have a passive Jazz which just seems to work for everything.

I was just thinking the other night at practice I could probably do away with the knobs on that to be honest and simplify things even more. Dont use tone, permanantly up, usually only use both pickups on and volume is either full or off. I think a jazz bass with a three way toggle for pickup options would be the most I would need. Big change from my Overwater progress with three band EQ and coil taps!

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1139990' date='Feb 24 2011, 02:22 PM']I have one bass that works for anything I do, whoever I'm playing with, whatever type of music. It's a Fender Precision, one passive pickup...[/quote]

+1 !

I never play anything other than my 70RI Precision these days. Does everything I want a bass to do, and then some. And that irreplaceable sound :) I do use the tone control, though, all the time, even with flatwounds!

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1139990' date='Feb 24 2011, 02:22 PM']Seems odd that the bass with fewest options seems to be the most versatile ....[/quote]

Not sure that you can claim that it is 'the most versatile' but I know what you mean. What tends to happen is that if you have a very simple bass (or even a complicated bass that you keep on one setting) then you learn to play around to find different tones; you'll vary your attack, where you pluck the string, how you damp etc. etc. There is something to be said for having it simple and using your fingers to coax what you want out. :)

Not for me!

I got Quasi-parametric EQ+Passive tone
Blend/Pan pots
S1 switches
Twin EQ (1 per coil) systems
18v electrics
Stereo ouputs/ stereo/mono switching
Mid-cut switches
Series/Parallel switches
1 Band EQ
2 Band EQ
3 Band EQ
Mid frequency sweeps

And a kitchen sink...

But still sound like ME!!

I've never got 'round to a P . Bongo's probably next on the hitlist.. Better add "4 band EQ" to that list, then!

Oddly, I don't use effects, and generally leave my amp settings well alone.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1140212' date='Feb 24 2011, 06:05 PM']Not sure that you can claim that it is 'the most versatile' but I know what you mean. What tends to happen is that if you have a very simple bass (or even a complicated bass that you keep on one setting) then you learn to play around to find different tones; you'll vary your attack, where you pluck the string, how you damp etc. etc. There is something to be said for having it simple and using your fingers to coax what you want out. :)[/quote]

I'm sure it's in my head more than my fingers.

Years ago, when we were still playing All Right Now, I'd been listening to Free Live, the really deep, farty EB3 tone. That's what was in my head as we went into the solo. Didn't expect to get it from a Precision though. Frightened me half to death.