Why become a member? ×

Wasted £15 on Stranglers songbook

daz

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1139135' date='Feb 23 2011, 08:42 PM']I presume JJ Burnel was meant.[/quote]
Indeed it was. To his family and friends he's just [i]John[/i]

[quote name='Beedster' post='1139392' date='Feb 23 2011, 11:26 PM']There was a similar thread a year or so back by a guy who bought a Ramones tab book :)[/quote]

Fair enough, however the Ramones don't put Dee Dee right in the front of the mix, and his sixteenth and eighth note rooting isn't exactly inventive. So its much less likely to be put out in songbook format. ( not knocking them, the first 3 albums were great, and i was lucky enough to see them at their peak over 30 years ago.)

The Stranglers on the other hand have a famous bass driven sound, not to mention that the first bass heavy song most of us heard by them in the summer of 1977 was what inspired many of us to pick up a bass in the first place. Indeed is often the first thing a [i]bass neophyte[/i] tries or wants to learn. (Well for bass players of my generation anyway)

The really puzzling thing is that there are no alternatives. As far as i can ascertain The Stranglers have [i]never[/i] put out a songbook with bass in. Indeed this is the only songbook of any form i can find for the band.? I found a server with over 500 songbooks on it, most of them either by bands id never heard of. Else by Metalica or Megadeath or some-such who appeared to have about ten each! But not a one by The Stranglers.

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='1139519' date='Feb 24 2011, 05:16 AM']Indeed it was. To his family and friends he's just [i]John[/i]

Fair enough, however the Ramones don't put Dee Dee right in the front of the mix, and his sixteenth and eighth note rooting isn't exactly inventive. So its much less likely to be put out in songbook format. ( not knocking them, the first 3 albums were great, and i was lucky enough to see them at their peak over 30 years ago.)

The Stranglers on the other hand have a famous bass driven sound, not to mention that the first bass heavy song most of us heard by them in the summer of 1977 was what inspired many of us to pick up a bass in the first place. Indeed is often the first thing a [i]bass neophyte[/i] tries or wants to learn. (Well for bass players of my generation anyway)

The really puzzling thing is that there are no alternatives. As far as i can ascertain The Stranglers have [i]never[/i] put out a songbook with bass in. Indeed this is the only songbook of any form i can find for the band.? I found a server with over 500 songbooks on it, most of them either by bands id never heard of. Else by Metalica or Megadeath or some-such who appeared to have about ten each! But not a one by The Stranglers.[/quote]

[url="http://www.bassmasta.net/s/stranglers,_the/"]http://www.bassmasta.net/s/stranglers,_the/[/url]

[quote name='megallica' post='1141102' date='Feb 25 2011, 12:38 PM'][url="http://www.bassmasta.net/s/stranglers,_the/"]http://www.bassmasta.net/s/stranglers,_the/[/url][/quote]

Hmm? yes [b]Megallica [/b] thanks for the link but i'm well aware of Stranglers tab websites. I could evedn show you better ones for Stranglers tunes such as [url="http://www.johnrosk.btinternet.co.uk/strangindex.html"]this one[/url]: But as been mentioned here in this thread, they are often wrong. The reason i wanted a Songbook was to see the sheet music for the bass, or maybe even the entire bands individual music (guitar, organ etc) I know this is pushing it a bit, but i do have songbooks like that for the Rolling Stones, Bob Marley or Black Sabbath, amongst others, so its not as if they aren't some out there. Also a songbook could be put on a music stand in front of me, which is my preferred method of reading whilst (trying) to play.

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='1142050' date='Feb 26 2011, 06:23 AM']Hmm? yes [b]Megallica [/b] thanks for the link but i'm well aware of Stranglers tab websites. I could evedn show you better ones for Stranglers tunes such as [url="http://www.johnrosk.btinternet.co.uk/strangindex.html"]this one[/url]: But as been mentioned here in this thread, they are often wrong. The reason i wanted a Songbook was to see the sheet music for the bass, or maybe even the entire bands individual music (guitar, organ etc) I know this is pushing it a bit, but i do have songbooks like that for the Rolling Stones, Bob Marley or Black Sabbath, amongst others, so its not as if they aren't some out there. Also a songbook could be put on a music stand in front of me, which is my preferred method of reading whilst (trying) to play.[/quote]

No worries Daz, if I do see one I'll give you a shout

[quote name='bartelby' post='1138935' date='Feb 23 2011, 06:01 PM']I had a dream the other day that I'd formed a Steam-Punk band. The band were dressed in the peak of Victorian fashion and played punk and metal covers on old instruments, including a Harmonium. The next day one of my mates, who was in the band in the dream, said he was thinking of buying a harmonium! :)

I had an awseome looking bass though, Carl Thompson-ish style with all darks woods and brass.[/quote]

With big tall stove pipe hats? & massive mutton chop sideburns?
Thats ace, what a brilliant dream!
Wish I had dreams like that, last one I had was gutting huge fish on a windy beach!?! I don't really want to know what it means.
Oh yeah & stranglers songbook, £15 down the pan.
[u]Random Strangler legend.[/u] A mates bro in law used to roadie for the "Strugglers" (as he calls them) in the old days, he told me their keyboard player has a bag that he carries all the time & nobody ever knew what was in it, he never let it out of his sight. Nobody ever managed to see inside it.

Cheers,
Norm

[quote name='Norm' post='1142169' date='Feb 26 2011, 10:57 AM'][u]Random Strangler legend.[/u] A mates bro in law used to roadie for the "Strugglers" (as he calls them) in the old days, he told me their keyboard player has a bag that he carries all the time & nobody ever knew what was in it, he never let it out of his sight. Nobody ever managed to see inside it.

Cheers,
Norm[/quote]

I wonder what was in the bag?? My guess is this. Possibly a [i]midget maestro,[/i] who would sneak out of the bag. Which had been nonchalantly placed under the Organ[size=4][b]*[/b][/size] just before the gig started, then, out of sight of the audience and the rest of the band, reach up and play the keys whilst Dave's hands flew left and right giving the impression of him doing the playing.

Well thats keyboard players for ya. They make drummers look normal by comparison.

[size=4][b]*[/b][/size]Dave Green played huge Organs[i] not [/i]keyboards

Edited by daz

[quote name='Norm' post='1142169' date='Feb 26 2011, 10:57 AM'][u]Random Strangler legend.[/u] A mates bro in law used to roadie for the "Strugglers" (as he calls them) in the old days, he told me their keyboard player has a bag that he carries all the time & nobody ever knew what was in it, he never let it out of his sight. Nobody ever managed to see inside it.[/quote]

Well judging by the lyrical content of the songs 'Don't bring Harry' and 'Golden Brown' and the band's alledged fondness for 'chasing the dragon' I can only surmise.
Although I'm not suggesting the mighty Dave Greenfield dabbled in such things, I do know he participated in Medieval battle reenactments and would like to think his bag
contained a chalice, a cloak and a crown! :)

As a side note, Dave not only played the gargantuan Hammond L100 but also a Minimoog synth, which can be heard underpinning JJ's Precision on tracks like 'Peaches'.

[quote name='daz' post='1139519' date='Feb 24 2011, 05:16 AM']Indeed it was. To his family and friends he's just [i]John[/i][/quote]

[quote name='Spike Vincent' post='1140362' date='Feb 24 2011, 08:13 PM']I recall some decades ago he was threatening extreme black belt violence against somebody calling him John,rather than Jean.Maybe he's mellowed a bit..[/quote]

"Did you just call me John?" ... :)
[attachment=73283:Jean_Jac...s_Burnel.jpg]

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1142496' date='Feb 26 2011, 04:50 PM']You can't just assume that because songs were written mostly for a particular instrument that means it's what instrument you're going to get: my mum got a thin lizzy songbook out of the library yesterday arranged for PIANO![/quote]

Yep I saw a Pixies songbook the other day for Guitar, vocals and [b]piano.[/b] F#kin piano!!!! when the hell has a piano ever been anywhere near a Pixies song? (or a Thin Lizzy one for that matter?) I mean why on earth bother with a piano arrangement ? Why not put kim deal's bass on there it'd be a lot easier for a start. Hey why not go all the way and arrange for Tasmanian nose flute or Kentucky arse trumpet ?

Some publishers want shooting. Or at the very least a cuffing around the back of the head with a plank so their false teeth shoot out, like in the Beano or something. Honestly. thick as a brick.

I mean piano!! Bleedin Piano ffs ............................... [size=6]Arghhhhhhhhhhh[/size] Rant rave gnash gnash Grrrr

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='1142320' date='Feb 26 2011, 01:40 PM']Well thats keyboard players for ya. They make drummers look normal by comparison.

[size=4][b]*[/b][/size]Dave Green played huge Organs[i] not [/i]keyboards[/quote]

+1. Mostly eccentric, often strange, very strange.

[quote name='daz' post='1142507' date='Feb 26 2011, 04:59 PM']Yep I saw a Pixies songbook the other day for Guitar, vocals and [b]piano.[/b] F#kin piano!!!! when the hell has a piano ever been anywhere near a Pixies song? (or a Thin Lizzy one for that matter?) I mean why on earth bother with a piano arrangement ? Why not put kim deal's bass on there it'd be a lot easier for a start. Hey why not go all the way and arrange for Tasmanian nose flute or Kentucky arse trumpet ?

Some publishers want shooting. Or at the very least a cuffing around the back of the head with a plank so their false teeth shoot out, like in the Beano or something. Honestly. thick as a brick.

I mean piano!! Bleedin Piano ffs ............................... [size=6]Arghhhhhhhhhhh[/size] Rant rave gnash gnash Grrrr[/quote]

The Kentucky arse trumpet is a very difficult instrument to master!

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1138682' date='Feb 23 2011, 03:19 PM']HC's guitar playing was perfectly congruent with the ensemble sound.[/quote]

yes it was i agree. I just let my annoyance get the better of me here.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1142496' date='Feb 26 2011, 04:50 PM']You can't just assume that because songs were written mostly for a particular instrument that means it's what instrument you're going to get: my mum got a thin lizzy songbook out of the library yesterday arranged for PIANO![/quote]

I have the [url="http://ebookee.org/Off-The-Record-Dedication-The-Very-Best-Of-Thin-Lizzy-Band-Score-Edition-_373035.html"]Thin Lizzy [dedication] the very best of full band songbook[/url] in .pdf format if you want it.

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='1143730' date='Feb 27 2011, 07:37 PM']I have the [url="http://ebookee.org/Off-The-Record-Dedication-The-Very-Best-Of-Thin-Lizzy-Band-Score-Edition-_373035.html"]Thin Lizzy [dedication] the very best of full band songbook[/url] in .pdf format if you want it.[/quote]

It's my mum who wanted it (she can only play the piano...)