Why become a member? ×

FS: fender cowpoke

ahpook

ok folks after spending an afternoon with my cowpoke i think it's time to admit it has to go.

i'm going to take some better pictures in the light of day, but here's one to give you an idea.

it's been put back to the state i got it in about 7 years ago, pickups and hardware-wise.

it some issues:

1) earth hum - this has always been a slight issue, even when i got it. i've spent the afternoon trying to fix it and i've had enough. a good tech would no doubt put this right in a jiffy.

2) the previous owner replaced some of the wiring (see 1 above) the active still works fine.

3) iirc the front pickup isn't stock - it's a kent armstrong OPB (??) sounds fab tho !

4) there's some chipping in the finish round the control cavity plate at the back.

4) it needs a set-up.

bearing in mind the above, it's a great bass, in good condition and is quite a head turner.

this is [i]pick-up only[/i] from tottenham, north london.

£250

Edited by ahpook

For me, it's just timing - things are quiet at the mo :/

I have a black one of these that I've owned & loved since Fender GBI gave it to me in 1996, & I'd buy a second one with no hesitation, if only I had the cash. These are excellent basses, very versatile, great players & great sounding.

This is crazy cheap!!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1157911' date='Mar 11 2011, 12:10 PM']Maybe it's the shipping? Considering adding it, to see if that doesn't bring some people out of the wood work.

Looks like a great bass, all told.[/quote]

then i'd need to buy a guitar case !!

tho, i think you're right...

i would be prepared to travel, within reason, but i'd need to come to an arrangement with the buyer about fares.

[quote name='ahpook' post='1147181' date='Mar 2 2011, 02:49 PM']ok, is the 'lectrics that are putting people off ?

or is it me ?

/wails and kicks feet/

:)[/quote]

It's the fact that it's in Tottenham - some of us don't have the insurance to travel there :)

[quote name='ahpook' post='1147181' date='Mar 2 2011, 02:49 PM']ok, is the 'lectrics that are putting people off ?

or is it me ?

/wails and kicks feet/

:)[/quote]

As an outsider I'd have to say that NOT getting the problems fixed and getting it set-up (mentioning that it needs a set-up indicates that 'something' needs to be done), could well hamper your sale at any price!

I've no idea if £250 is a good or bad price for one these days (I had one when they first cane out and recall that £250 was about the going rate back then), but if the fixes are as cheap and easy as you say then getting them done could justify a couple of quid added onto your present sale price... otherwise potential buyers could be stroking their chin thinking; '£250 plus cost of new electrics, possibly inc pups, PLUS the cost of a set-up... could get expensive'! However, £275 for a fully sorted bass with no issues could be attractive.

As I say I'm just playing 'Devil's Advocate' and looking at this as a neutral outsider; fear of the unknown is a sure way of folks keeping money in their wallets especially when times are hard. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1160471' date='Mar 13 2011, 01:57 PM']As an outsider I'd have to say that NOT getting the problems fixed and getting it set-up (mentioning that it needs a set-up indicates that 'something' needs to be done), could well hamper your sale at any price!

I've no idea if £250 is a good or bad price for one these days (I had one when they first cane out and recall that £250 was about the going rate back then), but if the fixes are as cheap and easy as you say then getting them done could justify a couple of quid added onto your present sale price... otherwise potential buyers could be stroking their chin thinking; '£250 plus cost of new electrics, possibly inc pups, PLUS the cost of a set-up... could get expensive'! However, £275 for a fully sorted bass with no issues could be attractive.

As I say I'm just playing 'Devil's Advocate' and looking at this as a neutral outsider; fear of the unknown is a sure way of folks keeping money in their wallets especially when times are hard. :)[/quote]

Totally agree. Ive been looking at this thinking "if it was £50-60 cheaper I'd snap it up". I'd even brave Tottenham too :)

[quote name='molan' post='1158281' date='Mar 11 2011, 04:42 PM']It's the fact that it's in Tottenham - some of us don't have the insurance to travel there :)[/quote]

:)

thanks for the advice about sorting the issues out...i think you folks may be right. i was hoping the (what i consider to be) low price would tempt people, but it seems not.

time to take it down to the bass gallery i reckon.

[quote name='ahpook' post='1160506' date='Mar 13 2011, 02:40 PM']:)

thanks for the advice about sorting the issues out...i think you folks may be right. i was hoping the (what i consider to be) low price would tempt people, but it seems not.

time to take it down to the bass gallery i reckon.[/quote]

Or sell it to me for £200 :)

[quote name='ahpook' post='1160506' date='Mar 13 2011, 02:40 PM']:)

time to take it down to the bass gallery i reckon.[/quote]
Just to add the caveat that any bass has a ceiling price!

Spending £100 on the bass will not make it worth £350. I'd establish if there is a going rate for similar basses in 'sorted' condition and then when you get a quote (always dodgy getting an estimate as that leaves the door open for all sorts of extra work) for repairs, I'd weigh up if the bass is going to sell for what you need to recoup. There's always a price at which someone will take a punt and take it off you regardless of issues... OHM has thrown his hat in the ring! :)

Again; just trying to ensure you don't get blinkered.

I reckon a decent luthier would only charge 50-60 quid to put all that right. I send my stuff to Tito Dalmedo in Preston (miles away from you), but just as a guide to repair costs, I'd imagine his £60 deluxe setup including a re wire would sort all this out as well as include a setup.

[url="http://www.dalmedoguitars.co.uk/REPAIRS.htm"]Prices[/url]

If someone says £100+ to you for this work I'd walk away. Good luck.

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='1160524' date='Mar 13 2011, 02:56 PM']If someone says £100+ to you for this work I'd walk away. Good luck.[/quote]

I simply quoted £100 as a throw away figure... however, if (and I'm not saying it is so with the OP bass) the active preamp or a pup were defective then it could easily be £100 to have a bass sorted inc' set-up!

[quote name='ahpook' post='1160516' date='Mar 13 2011, 02:48 PM']/thinks/[/quote]
or give me it free and enjoy that good feling you get knowing you helped a new player,needy but new.....karma like that is f***ing priceless m8...especially since ive 2 months to live.......ok im lying ffs....worth a go eh :)

• 2 weeks later...