Why become a member? ×

Action

Bass-ic

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='131723' date='Feb 1 2008, 08:43 AM']fellas!
Umm, originally , i was trying to find out just how far my strings should be from the frets, as i could almost get my fingers through the gap on mine. This has been covered here , which is great, and many thanks for that, but i havent got as far as strings yet! what are you all on about!!! Strewth!
cheers
Matt (AB)[/quote]

Sorry mate :)

[quote name='Buzz' post='131690' date='Feb 1 2008, 02:25 AM']While we're on the subject of action and relief, who else shims their fender instruments? I know at least one person does on here, and I'm curious if anyone else does, the quite frankly mahoosive gap on my VMJ is annoying the crap out of me at times and I'm considering trialling it.[/quote]

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='131734' date='Feb 1 2008, 09:17 AM']Am laughing.
Being the sort of handy , (possibly logical) person i am, i removed the bridge and made a new one. It is a simple bar affair, but it sems to have helped a bit. Am now down to a 4mm gap. Its started to buzz a bit tho.
Hmmm[/quote]

I have a wicked gap on my USA 2004 Jazz, doesn't seem to move though, I had a late 90's early 2000 from someone on here and it's perfect, Fender madness, gotta love 'em though , what do you mean by trailling it??

I've never noticed a difference in tone if I raise the action... how can a high action equate to better tone? Looking at the physics of it (with 27 years playing experience), having a higher action can't give you more/better tone than a low action! If you mean that when you play you are having issues with the action and you have to raise it to get it to play then that is a different matter but if when playing a bass in your normal style you can do so with a lowish action, you won't get a better tone by then jacking the action up and playing in the same manner. That's silly talk!

For me a bass that plays nice is one that gives me a low action with no buzzing or choking for my given technique/style. I've always had my pups jacked up as close to the pups (without inteference) to get the best output and so that it feels comfortable under my fingers. At the end of the day it is what you are used to and like but I've never had anyone play my bass and say that it was a terrible set-up whereas I have on occasion picked up instruments (particularly in shops) that I find horrendous to play.

[quote name='ARGH' post='131745' date='Feb 1 2008, 09:45 AM']Crash course on Harris.

Crank the volume,roll off half to 3/4 treble (I take it you use roundwounds) and compress the signal to hell and back.[/quote]

....and maybe a Precision with a maple board...clickety clack!

How hard do you hit the strings? If you have a low action you need a better set up, straight neck, level frets etc to get a better tone out of playing softly. If you play hard then you can get a better tone out of a high action, but you need a lot of left hand strength and you don't really need any set up at all.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='131775' date='Feb 1 2008, 10:16 AM']I've never noticed a difference in tone if I raise the action... how can a high action equate to better tone? Looking at the physics of it (with 27 years playing experience), having a higher action can't give you more/better tone than a low action! If you mean that when you play you are having issues with the action and you have to raise it to get it to play then that is a different matter but if when playing a bass in your normal style you can do so with a lowish action, you won't get a better tone by then jacking the action up and playing in the same manner. That's silly talk!

For me a bass that plays nice is one that gives me a low action with no buzzing or choking for my given technique/style. I've always had my pups jacked up as close to the pups (without inteference) to get the best output and so that it feels comfortable under my fingers. At the end of the day it is what you are used to and like but I've never had anyone play my bass and say that it was a terrible set-up whereas I have on occasion picked up instruments (particularly in shops) that I find horrendous to play.[/quote]

[quote name='chris_b' post='131791' date='Feb 1 2008, 10:30 AM']How hard do you hit the strings? If you have a low action you need a better set up, straight neck, level frets etc to get a better tone out of playing softly. If you play hard then you can get a better tone out of a high action, but you need a lot of left hand strength and you don't really need any set up at all.[/quote]

Ah Ok. This is good. Im probably hitting the strings quite hard, although i try not to, b8t have arranged some lessons for better guide lines on this aspect of my playing!
I hear both of your points. THe previous , and possibly ludicrous height of the action prior to my engineering masterpeiece was making my left hand ache a lot, so ill see how the new setting goes.
Ill seee how it all goes.
Cheers
Matt (AB)

[quote name='sgt-pluck' post='130030' date='Jan 29 2008, 02:39 PM']There's a rough guide to Fender bass action set-up here.

[url="http://www.fender.com/support/basses.php"]http://www.fender.com/support/basses.php[/url]

Pluck[/quote]

I use the fender factory specs and find them just right for my jazz bass and Str****casters.
Having spent years trying to get the "perfect set up" I now just adjust to these settings play the instrument and get used to them. Personally I've always preferred to play a little on the high side as far as action goes.

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='131734' date='Feb 1 2008, 09:17 AM']Am laughing.
Being the sort of handy , (possibly logical) person i am, i removed the bridge and made a new one. It is a simple bar affair, but it sems to have helped a bit. Am now down to a 4mm gap. Its started to buzz a bit tho.
Hmmm[/quote]

What sort of bass are you using? - ie make / model.

[quote name='OldGit' post='131905' date='Feb 1 2008, 01:17 PM']What sort of bass are you using? - ie make / model.[/quote]

My dad got a bass player mate of his to make a bass, its a full size bass, but i got it when i was 5! thats quite some time ago. I have no idea what its made from, but it is a single pick up passive bass ,21 frets, wood finish , well varnished it is!
it works and doesnt sound too bad . However there is no adjustment anywhere on it hence the action question.
The fingerboard gets wildly out of tune as i work my way up the neck. I am blessed with a good ear, so it sounds like a night-mare to me!
Ill never get rid of it as it raises a smile evertime i see it, but as an instrument it has its flaws. Wouldnt want to take it out in public!
I will probably get a yam/Ibanez to start me off and get some lessons. at least these might be closer in tune with themselves!
Matt (AB)

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='131922' date='Feb 1 2008, 01:45 PM']My dad got a bass player mate of his to make a bass, its a full size bass, but i got it when i was 5! thats quite some time ago. I have no idea what its made from, but it is a single pick up passive bass ,21 frets, wood finish , well varnished it is!
it works and doesnt sound too bad . However there is no adjustment anywhere on it hence the action question.
The fingerboard gets wildly out of tune as i work my way up the neck. I am blessed with a good ear, so it sounds like a night-mare to me!
Ill never get rid of it as it raises a smile evertime i see it, but as an instrument it has its flaws. Wouldnt want to take it out in public!
I will probably get a yam/Ibanez to start me off and get some lessons. at least these might be closer in tune with themselves!
Matt (AB)[/quote]

Ahhh...

OK

Got a picture?

That sound like a nice wall bass (as oppoesed ot a WAL bass) but you really need something that can be adjusted. That way the bass will help you play and not present so many challenges ....

Yes, a Yamaha or Ibanez and a few lessons would be a very good investment ..

[quote name='OldGit' post='131933' date='Feb 1 2008, 01:58 PM']Ahhh...

OK

Got a picture?

That sound like a nice wall bass (as oppoesed ot a WAL bass) but you really need something that can be adjusted. That way the bass will help you play and not present so many challenges ....

Yes, a Yamaha or Ibanez and a few lessons would be a very good investment ..[/quote]

There are no pictures of this bass anywhere. I dont think there ever will be!
Matt (AB)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='131947' date='Feb 1 2008, 02:14 PM']Also the more bottom your bass has, particularly the sustain of the lowest harmonics and fundamental, the higher your action will need to be.

Alex[/quote]

Care to explain that?