Why become a member? ×

Anyone played the Yardbirds Rock Club, Grimsby?

Roland Rock

Yes, my metal band played there last summer with Godsized. It's run by a biker group and has an eight-bed dormitory in the back.

It was a four or five band line-up. The PA was huge and sounded good, the sound guy seemed to know what he was doing but the stage was raised and boomy.

It was packed but we didn't go down too well, if I recall. Godsized fared better but they headlined.

Afterwards, the bikers looked after us very well. We partied with them until about 5am. They were great guys.

It's worth going for the experience but, as you say, the money doesn't really make it worthwhile. To top it off, I got a speeding ticket on the way home -- watch that stretch of the M180 for cameras and coppers.

Cheers

Mark

I played there with a Paul Rodgers band last year. The money was pretty good, but they'd played there a few times before. I did get my expenses paid though, so that probably made it more worthwhile.

It is quite a big room, and the sound is good.

The other guy is quite correct in that it's owned by a biker gang, I think they're called the Warlocks. They did look after the band pretty well. There was quite a good crowd too, despite the fact that there was a blizzard raging outside, and the temperature was something like minus 15C.

Robbo and his Warlocks are a lovely bunch of guys who are really supporting live music.
They will look after you AND your gear and you will have a great time. Money depends on your pulling power andhow many times you've been in/proven yourself...

[quote name='cetera' post='1135449' date='Feb 21 2011, 01:39 PM']Robbo and his Warlocks are a lovely bunch of guys who are really supporting live music.
They will look after you AND your gear and you will have a great time. Money depends on your pulling power andhow many times you've been in/proven yourself...[/quote]

They are very friendly, though I didn't really want to do it. It was really, really bad weather, and had been forecast all week. The singer wouldn't cancel though, he was a bit scared of waking up with a horses head next to him :).

[quote name='cetera' post='1135449' date='Feb 21 2011, 01:39 PM']Robbo and his Warlocks are a lovely bunch of guys who are really supporting live music.
They will look after you AND your gear and you will have a great time. Money depends on your pulling power andhow many times you've been in/proven yourself...[/quote]

Cheers for the replies. We've now committed to doing the gig. To be fair, the money was offered on the strength of a phone call, so can't expect too much! They said that if it goes down well, the fee would go up in future. I'm really looking forward to it now - nothing better than a good sound AND an enthusiastic crowd. Let's hope they like Bowie!

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1136152' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:16 PM']Cheers for the replies. We've now committed to doing the gig. To be fair, the money was offered on the strength of a phone call, so can't expect too much! They said that if it goes down well, the fee would go up in future. I'm really looking forward to it now - nothing better than a good sound AND an enthusiastic crowd. Let's hope they like Bowie![/quote]

Bowie ???????? :)

Just make sure the wire netting is fixed firmly in place.

Edited by Soliloquy

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1150478' date='Mar 5 2011, 12:41 PM']City Mariner! Love the Town flag!![/quote]
Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankly,
Have you heard of the North Bank, Highbury
Bill said "No, I don't think so"
But I've heard of the Pontoon, Grimsby!

Can't make it today mate:

a) Embarrassed by the running of the club
:) That 'protest' will turn ugly
c) I'm gigging tonight! (Thank the good Lord)

Back on topic, The Yardbirds is open to pretty much anything. I've seen many a gig (although not recently now being based 37miles away) and have caught a plethora of genres.

[url="http://www.myspace.com/yardbirdsrockclub"]http://www.myspace.com/yardbirdsrockclub[/url]
[url="http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=47731538569"]http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=47731538569[/url]

[quote]A GREAT BAR/CLUB FOR BIKERS AND ROCK MUSIC FANS IN GENERAL...OWNED BY BIKERS, RUN BY BIKERS,AND FOR BIKERS....(the only one on our stretch of the east coast by the way) NO MEMBERSHIP COSTS, (ITS A PUBLIC BAR) WITH LIVE BANDS VIRTUALY EVERY THURSDAY,FRIDAY, SATURDAY,AND SUNDAY,THROUGHOUT THE YEAR. REASONABLY PRICED DRINKS,(none of that £4 a pint bullshit)AND A GREAT ROCK PARTY ATMOSPHERE. IF YOURE INTO LIVE MUSIC,YOU GOTTA CHECK THIS PLACE OUT[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, it's done and dusted now - and what a cracking night!
We were impressed with the setup, with monitors more powerful than many places' entire PAs! Liam the engineer got a great sound, the Warlocks were very accommodating and the atmosphere was great with lots up dancing.

Many thanks to all for your advice/info on the place. We'll definitely be playing there again.