Why become a member? ×

Vintage Stringray

radansey

[quote name='radansey' post='1134028' date='Feb 20 2011, 08:30 AM']I have the chance of first refusal on a Vintage Stringray 5-stringer maple board for £50. Are these any cop? For £50 is this a no-brainer?

PS. I don't wish to start a cheap 'Sue Ryder' bass flame war though. JTUK take note![/quote]

Do you have pics..?

[quote name='JTUK' post='1134077' date='Feb 20 2011, 09:41 AM']I must admit I read the thread as vintage 5st maple board so I thought we were talking about a MM maple board for £50.
I wasn't sure MM did 5 strings early enough to quality as vintage though.[/quote]

And you really thought that if it were a 'real' MM stingray for that money I would be here asking the question :)

[quote name='radansey' post='1134028' date='Feb 20 2011, 08:30 AM']I have the chance of first refusal on a Vintage Stringray 5-stringer maple board for £50. Are these any cop? For £50 is this a no-brainer?

PS. I don't wish to start a cheap 'Sue Ryder' bass flame war though. JTUK take note![/quote]

That IMO is a very good deal, I got one on the bay for £75 a few years back and I thought that was a bargain. If you like it, i'd say you can't go wrong.

[quote name='radansey' post='1134088' date='Feb 20 2011, 09:50 AM']And you really thought that if it were a 'real' MM stingray for that money I would be here asking the question :)[/quote]

As in necks/board only, but I would have doubted the authenticity myself... as MM 5 st necks/boards wouldn't likely qualify
as vintage.

I don't have any 1st hand experience of these but because of the words "stingray" and "vintage" my ears have pricked whenever they've come up. I would seem that most folk that have had them (first timers etc.) have been pleased enough with them. Do not for one minute expect it to sound remotely like a MM 'ray of any ilk though.

A young guy in last nights support band was using one of these - had me a little confused for a while, it looked like an MM from a distance but didn't sound quite 'right'.

It was however, a reasonable instrument, and he was quite happy playing it.

For £50 it sounds like a bargain, as long as you're not expecting a 100% authentic MM type sound.

When I tried one (active, 4-string), tagged at £199 I thought "not for me".
There was nothing particularly wrong with it. It just lacked a Stingray feel/sound. It simply was shaped like one. But it was decent. At £50 it's still not a Stingray sound-alike, but it is an ok bass. Even better value than the Sue Ryder... oh, God, I mention the unmentionable! :)

Best thing is if you don't like it, you'll get your £50 back. Or a bit more. So nothing to lose really.

Went for a butchers this afternoon. Oh Dear.

It was covered in a layer of sticky dust. The action was so high you could drive a double-decker bus under the strings. The body had a dull finish - like the cheap 'Kay'acoustics from the 70's. Back scratched, one knob (oo-err) different from the other three. Fretwork and neck were OK but a bit 'clubby'.

So I walked away.

I don't think that I would have played it much since I'm very satisfied with my Tanglewood Curbow 5-er and Ibanez SR200.

Money saved for another rainy day - maybe a new racing bike.

Lesson learnt.

Ross