Why become a member? ×

Aguilar DB112's x 2, any experience?

risingson

I want to downsize my rig a little, currently running an Eden WT-800 + 410XLT but the weight of the rig is astronomical and I need something a bit more portable, so I'm going to look into buying the Tone Hammer 500 when it comes out and probably two 112 cabs, the idea being I can split the rig for smaller gigs and also studio use.

I was wondering if anyone had used two DB112's (with tweeters) in conjunction with a similar setup and what results you've had live, are they loud enough, what the tones are like etc. Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated, I of course intend to try them out before I buy but I just wanted some feedback from you lovely BC'ers if you've had any experience before I went and sold my entire rig off!

Love to hear some feedback on this! Cheers

Loads of views on them if you do a quick search but in summary; I love mine to bits.

As single cabs they are good but when doubled up they are excellent. IMHO they are never going to give you loads of 'zing' but what they do they do well. As a pair they will hold their own a rock band situation playing pubs and clubs and I've yet to be defeated by guitarists even when using 4x12's (not that it is a competition). I've not had mine complaining, nor pushed to the limits but by the time they've reached their limits you really should be using FOH PA support. Cracking cabs but don't expect featherweight as they are still a nice chunk of weight... maybe that's why they do what they do so well! :)

I'm really enjoying mine. A while back Higgie described his as being just "there" and I know exactly what he means. There is a 3D quality to the sound and plenty of low end despite the size. I was using an old American Hartke 410 (which still sounds very good indeed) but the Aggies rattle ribs much more easily. I used to play with a very loud drummer indeed and never got the Hartke past 11 o clock on the dial. Whilst I haven't had the chance yet to meet up with him yet and rag the new ones I have AB'd the two rigs side by side and the 12s are really loud indeed.

In terms of tone I'm finding I'm having some unusual issues with some of my old settings on the bass I use in that the tone disappears compared to the Hartkes, but this maybe due to the fact I changed heads at the same time as well, and it could be this causing the problem. However on my 2 favourite settings it's my old sound turbo'd and I find all the articulations I use speak through with real weight to them. You have to be careful that the sound doesn't get too thick at volume. I bought one with a tweeter with resale in mind but I really like it and have found myself using it all the time.

I did lend my rig to a friend for a rehearsal and he went straight out and bought the exact same rig to go with his fretless Alembic. He now sounds like the world's biggest double bass!

Hear mine in action at [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkv5hudteY8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkv5hudteY8[/url] if you want, there's no drummer to get in the way!

Hope this helps.

Harry

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1130174' date='Feb 16 2011, 08:12 PM']Loads of views on them if you do a quick search but in summary; I love mine to bits.

As single cabs they are good but when doubled up they are excellent. IMHO they are never going to give you loads of 'zing' but what they do they do well. As a pair they will hold their own a rock band situation playing pubs and clubs and I've yet to be defeated by guitarists even when using 4x12's (not that it is a competition). I've not had mine complaining, nor pushed to the limits but by the time they've reached their limits you really should be using FOH PA support. Cracking cabs but don't expect featherweight as they are still a nice chunk of weight... maybe that's why they do what they do so well! :)[/quote]

The weight of them in comparison to the 410XLT I expect will be a breeze! What I need is for the cabs to the deliver punch and I'd prefer to not invest in the DB212 if I can because that would defeat the idea of being able to split the cabs off in the studio or at smaller gigs. I'll be interested to see how the new SL 112's fair as well but at the moment they're looking too pricey for what they are.

[quote name='scalpy' post='1130190' date='Feb 16 2011, 08:24 PM']I'm really enjoying mine. A while back Higgie described his as being just "there" and I know exactly what he means. There is a 3D quality to the sound and plenty of low end despite the size. I was using an old American Hartke 410 (which still sounds very good indeed) but the Aggies rattle ribs much more easily. I used to play with a very loud drummer indeed and never got the Hartke past 11 o clock on the dial. Whilst I haven't had the chance yet to meet up with him yet and rag the new ones I have AB'd the two rigs side by side and the 12s are really loud indeed.

In terms of tone I'm finding I'm having some unusual issues with some of my old settings on the bass I use in that the tone disappears compared to the Hartkes, but this maybe due to the fact I changed heads at the same time as well, and it could be this causing the problem. However on my 2 favourite settings it's my old sound turbo'd and I find all the articulations I use speak through with real weight to them. You have to be careful that the sound doesn't get too thick at volume. I bought one with a tweeter with resale in mind but I really like it and have found myself using it all the time.

I did lend my rig to a friend for a rehearsal and he went straight out and bought the exact same rig to go with his fretless Alembic. He now sounds like the world's biggest double bass!

Hear mine in action at [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkv5hudteY8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkv5hudteY8[/url] if you want, there's no drummer to get in the way!

Hope this helps.

Harry[/quote]

Thanks Harry, the tracks sounds great too, the bass sits really great in the mix!

I agree that the SL NEO's look pricey.

Personally, I'll give them a miss until they get some time in as I am not convinced by NEO's at this time.
I think Warwickhunt has put a lot of time AB'ing his DB's and still uses them so that tells you a lot, I think.

But, of course, the sound may not be for you but coming from Eden..I don't think you'll be far off. Eden always had that mid bias
but in a different place to say, SWR.. so I would expect a deeper fuller bass from the 12's over your 10's and a tad less mids.

I would expect this to be an exciting matchup of Eden and Ag cabs.. I would certainly like to hear it.

The DB212 is loud enough for me, I can only imagine its very similar if not the same as the two DB112s.

I can see the DBs being a classic setup for a long time. They seem to have really caught on, despite the fact they are fairly heavy.

Most amps seems to take well to mine...I havent used the Orange that much through it due to the fact the amp is hard to move about, but the LM3 sounds great!

Edited by Musicman20

Cheers JTUK and Musicman20, appreciate your input. The Eden XLT's seem a low mid bias which depending on venue to venue can end up saturating the stage, and although I got some great sounds from it from the studio it's starting to become a pain to get in and out. I'm looking for a more focused on stage sound from the Aguilars, I'm thinking slightly higher midrange sounds that cut well. I'll probably look at getting one of the DB112's with a tweeter and one w/out.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1131264' date='Feb 17 2011, 04:54 PM']The DB212 is loud enough for me, I can only imagine its very similar if not the same as the two DB112s.

I can see the DBs being a classic setup for a long time. They seem to have really caught on, despite the fact they are fairly heavy.

Most amps seems to take well to mine...I havent used the Orange that much through it due to the fact the amp is hard to move about, but the LM3 sounds great![/quote]

I'd like to chime in as I've had both the DB112x2 rig and a DB212 rig.

The DB112's are awesome. They are my favourite small cabs. They do hold up pretty well in a rock band (I'm in a rock covers band - Don't shoot me Bilbo!) but in the end, I found I was pushing them to the limits trying to get the volume out of my amp (was using an Aguilar AG500SC at the time). Don't get me wrong, they sound fantastic, and can really put out a good beefy sound, at least more than they look like they could, but for me it just wasn't enough to keep up with my band without PA Support. For rehearsals and smaller gigs (or larger ones with PA support) they would be absolutely perfect, but in the end I moved up to 2 DB212's.

While I didn't A/B them directly, as I had to sell one set of cabs to purchase the other, I found a single 8ohm DB212 to be louder and bassier than both 112's at 4ohm. I don't know if anyone else has had similar experiences, but that's what I found! The bigger enclosure size just gives even more "depth" and to me, it's the sound I've been looking for the whole time. I also moved up to the DB750 and I really couldn't be happier. Well, short of the whole rig weighing half as much! :)

[quote name='risingson' post='1131297' date='Feb 17 2011, 05:23 PM']Cheers JTUK and Musicman20, appreciate your input. The Eden XLT's seem a low mid bias which depending on venue to venue can end up saturating the stage, and although I got some great sounds from it from the studio it's starting to become a pain to get in and out. I'm looking for a more focused on stage sound from the Aguilars, I'm thinking slightly higher midrange sounds that cut well. I'll probably look at getting one of the DB112's with a tweeter and one w/out.[/quote]

Just as an aside, that's what I did. I had a tweeter'd 12 and one without. The tone was incredible, but I just didn't have the volume. That's what made me go for a couple of 212's, as the 12's gave me the exact tone I wanted, I just needed more volume. Using 1 2x12 therefore gave me the same sound as the 2 single 12's just louder and a bit deeper, and then I can add another 212 if I really need to push some air. As I say, YMMV depending on the size of gig/PA support situation, but all the Aguilar cabs I've tried have been incredible.

PS. I should note I didn't need THAT much more volume. It could have been solved by the guitarist turning down a bit. But you know what they're like...

Edited by Higgie

[quote name='Higgie' post='1131341' date='Feb 17 2011, 06:01 PM']Just as an aside, that's what I did. I had a tweeter'd 12 and one without. The tone was incredible, but I just didn't have the volume. That's what made me go for a couple of 212's, as the 12's gave me the exact tone I wanted, I just needed more volume. Using 1 2x12 therefore gave me the same sound as the 2 single 12's just louder and a bit deeper, and then I can add another 212 if I really need to push some air. As I say, YMMV depending on the size of gig/PA support situation, but all the Aguilar cabs I've tried have been incredible.

PS. I should note I didn't need THAT much more volume. It could have been solved by the guitarist turning down a bit. But you know what they're like...[/quote]

Hi Higgie how to the 212s sound with your p-bass ? I play a USA Fender P aggresively with a pick and need a cab that gives me plenty of growl and bottom end. Is the DB212 up to the job?

[quote name='Algae' post='1131356' date='Feb 17 2011, 06:10 PM']Hi Higgie how to the 212s sound with your p-bass ? I play a USA Fender P aggresively with a pick and need a cab that gives me plenty of growl and bottom end. Is the DB212 up to the job?[/quote]

Has it in spades mate. Where abouts are you from? I'll be playing it Saturday night in Colchester! P Bass, DB750, and a 212 :)

:) [quote name='Higgie' post='1131370' date='Feb 17 2011, 06:19 PM']Has it in spades mate. Where abouts are you from? I'll be playing it Saturday night in Colchester! P Bass, DB750, and a 212 :)[/quote]

Great! I think I may get myself one. It's good to hear a review from a rocker - so often I read about a cab and it gets praised only for the guy to turn out to be a slap player after a totally different sound. Gonna get one to go with my Ashdown head - should be awesome ! BTW I'm nowhere near Colchester mate - I'm Newcastle area. Way aye !

[quote name='Algae' post='1131504' date='Feb 17 2011, 08:29 PM']:)

Great! I think I may get myself one. It's good to hear a review from a rocker - so often I read about a cab and it gets praised only for the guy to turn out to be a slap player after a totally different sound. Gonna get one to go with my Ashdown head - should be awesome ! BTW I'm nowhere near Colchester mate - I'm Newcastle area. Way aye ![/quote]

If you want to hear what the Aggie tone is like, I'm about 12 miles from Newcastle and gigging with the pair of DB12's this weekend in Hexham! :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1131475' date='Feb 17 2011, 07:59 PM']Awesome rig Higgy.[/quote]

Cheers Dude :)

[quote name='Algae' post='1131504' date='Feb 17 2011, 08:29 PM']:)

Great! I think I may get myself one. It's good to hear a review from a rocker - so often I read about a cab and it gets praised only for the guy to turn out to be a slap player after a totally different sound. Gonna get one to go with my Ashdown head - should be awesome ! BTW I'm nowhere near Colchester mate - I'm Newcastle area. Way aye ![/quote]

I think they are great all around cabs. I slap with my Jazz, play a P with a pick, Stingray 5/fretless with fingers, and it sounds awesome with all of them. I don't even change my settings (apart from turning the bright switch off for the 5string/fretless as they are both active Stingrays). Anything from Rock to Funk to Pop. Absolutely awesome.

[quote name='molan' post='1131674' date='Feb 17 2011, 10:59 PM']Should be getting my white ones in a couple of weeks.

I am soooo tempted to get a white head cover for my DB750 as well, lol.[/quote]

Do it! Then drop 'em at my house and be done with it :lol: