Why become a member? ×

The Basscentre is no longer a shop.

6stringbassist

[quote name='Marshy' post='216495' date='Jun 10 2008, 11:14 PM']Well, damn, don't I wish I'd read this a while back. I had two basses there on commission sale: a teal green stringray 5 and a yamaha fretless 5. Got a call in *February* to say the shop was closed in favour of online only, would I collect the 'ray, and the fretless was sold.

I note from earlier comments that the retail shop shut before Christmas. That's a long long delay before calling me. And, oh, I had to burn a day's holiday to get down on a weekday to pick up the 'ray too (thank god I did though, eh?). They couldn't find the paperwork for the Yamaha, and said a cheque would be in the post. That was March 6th and guess what: I'm still sat here three months later with no money for the Yamaha sale. Lots of phonecalls from me to them, lots of empty platitudes or unreturned calls.

Barry owes me a phonecall. Again. He knows it, Nick knows it, the other staff there know it.

They owe Companies House a set of accounts too.

Will I ever see my cash? I'm guessing not.

Having spent two grand with them just before they closed the shop up, this is all a touch disappointing.

If you're watching guys, please do the decent thing.

--Chris[/quote]

Sounds to me like they haven't lost the paperwork at all but rather they're robbing peter to pay paul. Or waiting to rob another unsuspecting peter in order to pay you. Hope you get this sorted

Update: I visited Barry & the Bass Centre in person today (at the guitar show) to try and resolve my commission sale situation. To be fair, Barry was very apologetic, didn't dodge the issue, and within short order I had the agreed sale price for my Yamaha bass in cash (plus a couple of sets of strings).

So, while I shouldn't have had the issues I did, they are now resolved satisfactorily.

--Chris

Edited by Marshy

[quote name='Marshy' post='219452' date='Jun 15 2008, 09:15 PM']To be fair, Barry was very apologetic, didn't dodge the issue, and within short order I had the agreed sale price for my Yamaha bass in cash (plus a couple of sets of strings).[/quote]
The most important thing was you got your money. Nice one.

• 1 year later...

Hmm.. A lot of opinions here about the BC. Though, I'm noting that the last post was June 2008 or something. Now we are over a year and a few months later, and the BC is still going. Does anyone have any more recent experience with them?

I just bought some gear from them. The bass will take a couple of weeks to be sent from Germany, so I'm hoping it arrives when they say it will. Also, I'm overseas and so will not receive the item until December, the item being stored in my parents house until then.

I'll be sure to inform you how my experiences where with them. A little anxious about this whole thing, but I'm really just hoping for the best. They where quite friendly on the phone.

J

Edited by jdiddleymspot

IMO the biggest issue with the bass center was due to the sometimes bad attitude of some of the staff.
I live about 15mins from where the Shop used to be at Liverpool st and used to go in there regularly over a period of about 3 years.
Some of the people working there would go out of their way to help you but some would go out of their way to avoid being helpful.
By then end it just wasn't worth going in there as stock was always low and while prices were generally good it seemed like anything i actually wanted to buy would have to be ordered in. To much hassle really as the delivery dates were rarely met IME.
Saying that they did lend me amps in the past so they werent all bad.

Good luck with them, im sure you wont have any bother.

[quote name='jdiddleymspot' post='648568' date='Nov 8 2009, 09:38 AM']Hmm.. A lot of opinions here about the BC. Though, I'm noting that the last post was June 2008 or something. Now we are over a year and a few months later, and the BC is still going. Does anyone have any more recent experience with them?

I just bought some gear from them. The bass will take a couple of weeks to be sent from Germany, so I'm hoping it arrives when they say it will. Also, I'm overseas and so will not receive the item until December, the item being stored in my parents house until then.

I'll be sure to inform you how my experiences where with them. A little anxious about this whole thing, but I'm really just hoping for the best. They where quite friendly on the phone.

J[/quote]

Just out of interest, what is it that you've ordered that will take them several weeks to have sent over from Germany?

[quote name='Linus27' post='166447' date='Mar 30 2008, 05:52 PM']Who was the big stocky american with blonde hair that worked at the Bass Centre in the late 90's when it was at Wapping??? Is that Nick or Alex or somebody else??[/quote]
That'd be Grant. Think he might have been Canadian, though.
Cut me a superb deal on my Vigier...

I recently put an order in to the Bass Centre London for a MarkBass Standard 104HF cabinet, in September.....Im still waiting now, ive been in contact with them via phone on 3 occasions, what struck me is they seem legite and the customer service is polite, friendly and apologetic for delays, but my patience is wearing thin now. i cant help but think Im being taken for a ride, I have a feeling theyre trying to have me off. Im going to phone them tommorow and i want definate answer or I'll b demanding a refund, Ill be onto trading standards if they decline!!

Edited by Smythe

[quote name='zero9' post='653016' date='Nov 12 2009, 08:37 PM']I think you'll find that the refund will probably take longer than waiting for your order to arrive!
It's taken me well over a month to get a refund.
Good luck.[/quote]

I was thinking the same, I'm gonna have a good crack with them on the phone tommorow and make sure they dont try and cut the convo short. i wanna know an honest time on the order......... or if they are even capable of supplying it!