Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried a EB MM stingray HH with a maple neck?

Jimelliottbassist

Jim, I don't think there's that much difference in sound between maple and rw boards (ducks for cover), had both and in a dark room I'm buggered if I'd hear it. However I can understand personal preference, with me I prefer rw on a Ray because the oiled board on a modern EBMM can get caked up and takes some care. Now the finished ebmms of the 80s and early 90s I think are better as are pre ebs

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='Raggy' post='1129083' date='Feb 15 2011, 11:26 PM']I got one, black and maple. I must admit I prefer my P bass. But it's a comfy bass to play. An incredible array of sounds. Powerful EQ.

If your ever heading Swindon way your more than welcome to try it out.[/quote]
cheers lads Ill post some pics when I get it back from being set up. Just looking forward to using it live!

[quote name='cocco' post='1129218' date='Feb 16 2011, 08:29 AM']I'd miss the space you get with the single pickup I think. And what's the point in more tones when the one you want is the basic one that every ray does?[/quote]

Ive not played the HH, but I have a HS, and believe me the extra tones are very nice. The classic Ray tone is there, and 4 other great ones! Weirdly enough my favourite is one I never expected, and the different single coil tones are like a Jazz or a P bass (single coil Jazz bridge or single coil P) with more sonic punch.

You dont lose a lot of room with the HS, and IMO its a good 'inbetween' setup. Cool H sounds like a normal Ray, and more.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1129275' date='Feb 16 2011, 09:42 AM']You dont lose a lot of room with the HS, and IMO its a good 'inbetween' setup. Cool H sounds like a normal Ray, and more.[/quote]

Yep, I have HH and the extra pup doesn't get in the way for me either. It only took a few minutes playing to adjust to where everything is. As for the tone, the mid coils or outer coils (positions 2 and 4 on the selector) have the edge I think. Its always those ones I go back to anways :-)