Why become a member? ×

Becoming 'one' with a bass

parker_muse

Today i finally clicked with a bass! Sat down and it felt like playdoh in my childlike hands which i could manipulate to play anything i wanted in any sound I desired!

I've had a VMJ before but I had a pop on one of the new black ones with white block inlays. My my. Warm phat tones from the neck pup rolled off the tone and a sweet nasal sing from the solo'd bridge.

All for 300 smackers.

You could call me a very very happy boy!!!!

I A/B'd it with the sunburst and maple with blocks but not rosewood.

Full volume on the neck and roll of the tone you've got all the dubby thump you'll need with a bass heavy EQ.

The neck on the 77 is also slimmer then on the sunburst one IMO. Just felt rapid! It's also lighter then my old natural VMJ... feels a little slimmer?

[quote name='Spike Vincent' post='1125397' date='Feb 12 2011, 12:21 PM']I don't live there any more but I still rehearse there.I challenge your claim![/quote]

To the thought of becoming 'one' with the bass - it happens sometimes not for a day or a week - but I find that if I am playing for more than 20 minutes or so, then things get a lot easier and somehow there's a communion of sorts where one actually has a flight of freedom and less thinking about playing.

The notes just come naturally and the fingers find their mark with no mental gymnastics.

This is why the second set in most play nights is usually the best. Everyone is in the same groove and it's just 'the music' at that point.

I get some 4-set gigs sometimes, and the first and forth are the sloppiest for various reasons - but the first is cold and the last is just plain tiredness and slop.

Many times I just wing-it and play what I feel opposed to what is written and that's when the creative juices start to flow. Now one cannot do that with every song, as there is the perception of the way it's supposed to sound - but one can take certain licenses with a song and get away with it (insert grin).

It's kinda like 'hitting the zone' when I used to run cross country - after the first 3 or 4 miles, then it was a floating feeling and the strides opened up and I didn't feel anything but the wind and the ground just flowed under me for the next 8 or 10 miles. Vision even narrowed to not see the peripheral things around me - but just concentrate on the route and the desire to get to the finish line with no other distractions.

Same with playing music - it all narrows down to just 'the bass and me' feeling.

[quote name='redstriper' post='1125369' date='Feb 12 2011, 08:10 PM']Thanks for the information - I've just read the thread on TB and there's not much love for them over there.

I'm not too bothered about the blocks and binding, so I might go for the sunburst model with rosewood neck if I can find a nice lightweight one.

And I will definately try before I buy.[/quote]

my youngest son just got one of these - plays nice and good QC