Why become a member? ×

Peavey Milestone 3

Bass_Guardian

I have a chance to get a Peavey Milestone 3 bass in red. It is a bit rusty round some of the screws and that due to the exposure to dampness i assume. Not been played in probably 5 years and needs new strings as theyve rusted. Should i get it?

We're talking cheap as chips here folks, also what does everyone think of these basses?

Regards

Alex

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1120837' date='Feb 8 2011, 11:47 PM']I have a chance to get a Peavey Milestone 3 bass in red. It is a bit rusty round some of the screws and that due to the exposure to dampness i assume. Not been played in probably 5 years and needs new strings as theyve rusted. Should i get it?

We're talking cheap as chips here folks, also what does everyone think of these basses?

Regards

Alex[/quote]

they're good low end basses... if cheap enough, it probably makes more sense than a Sue Ryder :)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1120840' date='Feb 8 2011, 11:50 PM']they're good low end basses... if cheap enough, it probably makes more sense than a Sue Ryder :)[/quote]
The owner isnt a bass player of any sort and hasnt used it since it was bought. So might be able to get it for about £20 maybe even free if im charming enough but probably £20 or more...

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1120842' date='Feb 8 2011, 11:52 PM']The owner isnt a bass player of any sort and hasnt used it since it was bought. So might be able to get it for about £20 maybe even free if im charming enough but probably £20 or more...[/quote]

eh??? sounds like a very good deal. If you tidy it up it can be quite fun.

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1120861' date='Feb 9 2011, 12:19 AM']Aye I'll find out this Sunday what's happening. Hopefully I'll be able to clean up the rust fine any suggestions on a best method??[/quote]

The rust is probably through the chrome plate so you'll not have a huge amount of joy there I imagine.
Something like Brasso perhaps?

[quote name='icastle' post='1121088' date='Feb 9 2011, 10:44 AM']The rust is probably through the chrome plate so you'll not have a huge amount of joy there I imagine.
Something like Brasso perhaps?[/quote]
Ill see the extent of the damage this Sunday as ive not looked at it in detail and will let everyone know how the deal goes down :)

Is rust usually fairly easy to come off?

I had one of these as my 'starter' bass. It was lightweight, well balanced and, considering how much it cost, had a superb neck - really skinny and fast. The sound was weak but easily beefed up with a pedal. Not the best bass in the world but as a back up perfectly ok. I wish I had kept mine TBH and pimped it. They don't go for much but £20 is a steal.

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1121090' date='Feb 9 2011, 10:46 AM']Is rust usually fairly easy to come off?[/quote]

The heavily oxidised bits come off quite easily witha bit of elbow grease but you'll get 'pitting' left in its place.

Ironically, what you'll end up with is the 'roadworn' look that many people complain they can't get on fresh chromed hardware... :)

[quote name='neepheid' post='1121198' date='Feb 9 2011, 11:54 AM']Try soaking the chrome bits in a diet coke bath. My G-3 bridge went from this:

Not perfect by any means, but a damn sight better than it was. Remember to rinse and dry thoroughly before putting it back together :)[/quote]

...or wasps will chase you... :)

Had one of these as my main / gigging / recording bass for a few years now. Fab bass - lightweight, well balanced, nice neck, good sound. Twice I've tried to "upgrade" to a more expensive bass, only to end up selling the new bass and returning to this. I got mine for £50 from a Crack Converters - one of the best musical purchases I've ever made.

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1122968' date='Feb 10 2011, 06:14 PM']*UPDATE* :) good news im getting it for FREE no postage needed as collecting this friday night :lol:

I know its not the best bass in the world but for FREE :D well chuffed

:P[/quote]

How cool is that! :)

I'm not a huge fan of them myself, but there's some substantial pockets of love for Peavey basses round here - it might be better than you imagine!

Edited by icastle

[quote name='icastle' post='1123069' date='Feb 10 2011, 07:30 PM']How cool is that! :)

I'm not a huge fan of them myself, but there's some substantial pockets of love for Peavey basses round here - it might be better than you imagine![/quote]
Maybe :) just needs a clean big time. Ill maybe put up photos friday night of it to show the damage.

Maybe do a before and after

[quote name='Earbrass' post='1123574' date='Feb 11 2011, 09:26 AM']Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks these basses are gig-worthy:

[url="http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/review-23922290-a-forbidding-triumph-for-esben-and-the-witch.do"]http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/review...nd-the-witch.do[/url][/quote]
Its the exact same bass!!! ( except my ones a bit mojoed)

Right thats me got it :) its actually not as bad as i thought. only a wee bit of rust and action is pretty bad but amazingly after 5 years lying about in the cold and damp it was still in tune!!!!!!???!?!!! with rusted strings.
[attachment=71927:11022011123.jpg]
[attachment=71926:11022011118.jpg]
[attachment=71928:11022011124.jpg]
[attachment=71929:11022011125.jpg]
[attachment=71930:11022011126.jpg]
[attachment=71931:11022011127.jpg]
Some pics sorry about photo quality was taken with phone camera

So u think this was worth it? :)

FREE!!!!