Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4001 bass for sale

utopiummusic

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='128643' date='Jan 27 2008, 12:51 PM']Who benefits from posts that show little or no respect for other foum members??[/quote]

I'd say that the question is more:- 'What constitutes a lack of respect' ?

And who decides? My answer I guess would be that a free and open forum should regulate itself.

If a poster is out of order then other posters'll let him know soon enough.

As long as it doesn't degenerate into a flame war (then the mods should step in) I think people can look after themselves.

[quote]If a poster is out of order then other posters'll let him know soon enough.[/quote]

I supose that I occasionally do that anyway, accepting that what I consider inappropriate might be fine for others.

I sort of have an 'ouch' meter. I'm aware that replies to posts that make me go 'ouch' seem to be more frequent than they used to be 'back in the good old days'.

That's what I mean about not treating others with respect regardless of misguided pricing or youth/inexperience/naievity.

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='128638' date='Jan 27 2008, 12:42 PM']My opinion (for what it's worth) is that it's a free market, and that goes for [b]opinions[/b] (some of which are learned, others less so) and to [b]prices[/b].

It comes back I think to a basic divide; on one side the members who like a very moderated environment, like to be told what to post and where...

And others who value a more free environment. Discounting the obviously abusive posts I can't see the problem with discussing a bass and it's value.

Most of the discussion in this thread has been about Rickys, rather than the posted asking price of this example. Interesting points have come up...

To me this is a [b]discussion[/b] forum, not a [b]free ads site[/b]. If someone has an opinion, why on earth not hear it. Who benefits from deleting opinion?[/quote]

+1. There are newbies around who aren't as well informed as most of us. IMO stuff like this should be allowed to be discussed in the open... in a civil fashion, of course.

It works both ways... If someone posts to say something is overpriced and that isn't the case, I'm sure people would chip in to defend the seller.

Still, the mods can regulate BC as they see fit, and I respect that.

ps - I'm new to this thread - I'm guessing something went down that wasn't pleasant.

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='Machines' post='128354' date='Jan 26 2008, 06:25 PM']I've been quite lax about it to be honest but i'm now getting bored of it. If you disagree with price someone has put their item up for, then PM them saying why you believe it is too high. Something is of course only worth what someone is willing to pay, what YOU are willing to pay may be different to someone else. If they choose to take your advice then great - if not then it isn't your problem.

If you believe the seller is purposely being dishonest about the item then please PM a moderator who will look into it.

The vigilante style self-moderation that is becoming commonplace is a nice theory, but can leads to this kind of situation. It doesn't benefit the forum and doesn't give a favourable impression of the people who are discrediting the item.

I will from now on begin to delete any posts where I believe a member is discrediting the seller for the only reason that they disagree with the price of the item.[/quote]

+1 - Thanks

Hamster

[quote name='tombboy' post='128636' date='Jan 27 2008, 01:33 PM']Back in the days of bassworld I was selling a MIM Jazz, newish with case, strap, straplocks, new strings, extra strings etc and posted was I believed was a fair and honest price. Before I knew it, forumites were flashing up posts knocking the price all over the place. It got a bit heated as I requested such comments to be PM'ed and we could discuss their concerns. Instead they chose to publically berate my selling methods. The bass sold a few days later for the asking price and the buyer was very happy with his package. Those knocking the price were not even in the market for a MIM Jazz so it was pretty much a waste of effort on their part.
Makes me wonder who many of the price knockers on here are actually in the market for a 4001? I can only presume 'none' as they would have PM'ed the seller to negotiate a deal.
Personally, Ricks are not my bag although I can appreciate their beauty and unique tonal qualities. Is this one overpriced? Possible, maybe not. What I won't do, however, is trample all over this thread spouting my 'valued' opinion.

Good luck with the sale Andy, and welcome to Basschat.[/quote]

thank you very much! while I sure appreciate everyone's opinion ,if we post something for sale on a public forum we have to face the "valued" opinion of all sorts of people, price knockers included.

Maybe it is overpriced, maybe not, so far I've had very few PM cpncerning my bass. I insist: the price is negociable and I am ready to listen to offers.

Thank you very much once again.

Andy

[quote name='utopiummusic' post='134091' date='Feb 5 2008, 08:41 AM']euuhh... no thanx, it will have to be a better offer!

Andy[/quote]
That's quite a realistic price for a bass like yours on a forum like this, though - because it's a community, people generally ask a little less than one might find on Ebay, or through a dealer.

BTW welcome to BC. :)

Jon.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=SR&f=19"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=SR&f=19[/url]

Guidlines from Ped - the Root admin of the site - Guidelines to buyers point 4 seems to say it all - and I have to say personally I agree - if I had something to sell I would welcome constructive criticism on a post if the price were not appropriate - i would also welcome the opportunity to discuss my pricing in public. The key really being that it is done in a constructive non aggressive respectful manner

Sorry to ask this, but are you sure that finish is original ? Do you know the history of the bass ?

The reason I ask is that, the body is a yellow/red fireglow sunburst, whereas the headstock appears to be a darker and uniform colour. I've had quite a few 4001 Rickys in my time and on fireglow/autumnglow models the headstock has always been sunburst finish that reflects the body colouring. In contrast a burgundy rick (which is a non sunburst colour) has a uniform colour and looks just like yours.

Maybe it's the lighting conditions under which you took the headstock picture, if so perhaps you might post some more ?.

Whatever, GOOD LUCK WITH THE SALE !

Best wishes :)

Might be worth getting a second opinion from the very well-informed RickResource community - but I think it's a refin.

Like LTT says, the headstock should reflect the colour of the body, with red across the top & bottom, and amber in the middle. Also, the woodgrain is flawed - there's a dark mark, like a knothole, just above the scratchplate, and the grain pattern's quite coarse. Typically Rickenbacker will finish instruments with less than aesthetically perfect woodgrain in solid colours - if this was the case with this one, it could probably be confirmed by having a look inside the body cavities - it's likely that the original finish will remain, to one extent or another.

I also can't help feeling the finish is a bit gaudy for an original - particularly on a vintage instrument, where Fireglo tends to darken naturally with age.

J.