Why become a member? ×

What's it like down your way for gigs?

Marvin

I mostly play weddings and corporate with 5catfish and this year is very, very busy. My side project, a 'Disco covers' band is just getting on the Pub scene in Essex and so far it's looking good. We have at least two gigs in the diary each month so far and it's early days so I'm optimistic. We don't want too many more than this to be honest as it will mess with my regular gig. I think it's going to be a good year.

With regards the press ads for gigs in my area I suppose it could just be that pubs etc just aren't bothering to inform the newspapers. It is unfortunate that the pub that put on the most live music in my town has now shut, and somewhat ironic as on new year's eve it had a band and was by far and away the busiest place in town.

The singer my wife and I know, we've agreed, does tend to lack that go out and get the gigs attitude and somewhat limit's themselve's to a small area.

I've just started practising with a band and I think they're wanting to cover a decent sized area. Furthermore the singer is very proactive.

For original bands in north devon though I should imagine it's dire. Very few places to play if any. Masses of karaoke nights as well. :)

I agree you can't sit by and let them just happen...you need to go out and make an effort.
We have 3 guys out of 5 that are prepared to do this.

Lots of beands chasing the same gigs but newer venues trying things all the time.

Even some of the classic places that went offline years ago to be restaurants etc ..are coming back with a music night.

If a place has karaoke nights, then some of them must be suitable for bands..so you would think one of them would do this..???
karaoke nights round here are old hat...and have been replaced by open mics as every now and again you might get someone half decent.
Some pubs...mischievously...have an audition night where you play for a few drinks, but no one decent just starting will bother with that...

We play a mix of original material and covers in (predominantly) the Burnely area. We choose to play once or twice a month max and so far so good this year. We used to get £150 on average, but now it's dropped to C £100

[quote name='deepbass5' post='1119279' date='Feb 7 2011, 07:05 PM']Note, we are a four piece, how the hell are you 7 - 9 piece soul bands getting on.[/quote]

Very well. It's all function work,but the 8 piece funk band that I work with seems to get busier all the time.

Not too bad in the West Mids and beyond for our punk covers band. We did 39 gigs last year and have 30 lined up this year already. We wont go out for less than £200, and average about £300

Not much happening in Birmingham, strangely, where many venues insist on door deals, and expect a Wembley-sized crowd.

Stay groovy,

BB