Why become a member? ×

Fattening up my passive jazz bass tone

Gunsfreddy2003

Seen a lot of suggestions for the SansAmp - could I also throw in my £0.02?

Try the SansAmp Para-driver - it's the same as the BDDI but has a sweepable mid control (which is very good). Roll off the blend i.e. 100% dry and it acts like a three-band pre-amp and DI in the same box, or use the blend + drive controls to add some valve-y warmth to the mix.

I've recently taken to trying the SansAmp suggested settings for 'Active bass simulator' which is the mid sweep and the three-band EQ all the way to the right, blend on about 75% wet/dry ratio. Works a treat with my all-passive Ibby jazz bass, just needs a smidge of 'drive' and it's there.

HTH,
Ian

[quote name='mcnach' post='1117689' date='Feb 6 2011, 02:27 PM']I haven't tried all the options presented here, but I'll tell you why I would go for the J-Retro in your situation:

1) I know it sounds great

2) It is the only one with a mid frequency sweep, and this is tremendously useful. It has a pretty wide sweep. So when I decide I want to "add" something, I just turn the mid knob up a bit and scan with the mid-sweep until I find the sound I want. If I want to reduce an annoying frequency, I do the converse.

3) You can turn off the preamp entirely and have your passive sound, if you wish (you will lose the tone controls then, 'though). If your battery dies and you did not pay attention to the signs (it doesn't die suddenly, you'll have enough warnings!), flip it to passive and keep playing.

4) Installation is a 5 min job. Solderless. Easily reversible. It does not require you alter your bass, as the preamp and battery fit inside the control cavity. So just keep the original plate when you remove it, and if you decide to restore it, it'll be extremely simple.[/quote]

+1 to all of this!

I haven't had much experience of the other preamps, but the J Retro will take some beating. A superb piece of kit and I'll never not have one on any serious bass of mine! What impresses me about it, aside from what mcnach highlighted above is that it really does [i]enhance [/i] the natural sound of the bass.

Guys,

Thanks for all of the help and advice with this one.

I have managed to find a well priced Sadowsky pedal so am going to try that for a bit and see how I get on. It seems to be that all options are well respected and I am not sure that there is a right or wrong answer here but the Sadowsky seems the simplest version and that is why I am going to try that first. Hell if that doesn't work out I will just try the next option!!

• 1 month later...

I did seriously consider going for the Nordy pups but there was just a nagging feeling that I did not want to take out the original pups as that felt like it was taking out the heart of a vintage bass and made little sense. Not saying that this is wrong just that it made no sense to me.

I have since bought the Sadowsky pre and then Aguilar Tone Hammer. I opted to keep the Aggie and moved on the Sadowsky simply because the ability to adjust the mids on the Tone Hammer made such a difference to me.

One thing is for sure that there is no way that I could go back to the jazz without a pre-amp now as the difference in tone is huge.

[quote name='paulo m' post='1195514' date='Apr 11 2011, 11:06 AM']hi everyone....
ive been a jazz bass player...forever...i have a 76 & 78....ive tryed emg...baddass etc...not with great results!!!!!
now i have nordstrand nj4 pups & the j east j retro in the 78 jazz.........this works for me!!!
all of these so called outboard pre amps....offer variations of the same thing....take five" & look @ the specs of these...
so called tone shapers.....aguliar "sadowsky"eden"sansamp"ebs"...etc etc......subtle variations of the same thing!!!!
[ years ago i met mr will lee...asked him about....recorded bass etc...donald fagan... walk between the raindrops.....studio sound..etc etc etc....he said.............
I HAVE MY OWN ENGINEER BEFORE IT GETS TO THE BOARD.....so jazz bass players.......take what you like from this...
the j retro....in conjuction with overwound custom pickups.....is an interesting combo.....INMHO...of course.[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1195565' date='Apr 11 2011, 12:00 PM']I did seriously consider going for the Nordy pups but there was just a nagging feeling that I did not want to take out the original pups as that felt like it was taking out the heart of a vintage bass and made little sense. Not saying that this is wrong just that it made no sense to me.

I have since bought the Sadowsky pre and then Aguilar Tone Hammer. I opted to keep the Aggie and moved on the Sadowsky simply because the ability to adjust the mids on the Tone Hammer made such a difference to me.

One thing is for sure that there is no way that I could go back to the jazz without a pre-amp now as the difference in tone is huge.[/quote]

i totally agree about removing pickups from vintage basses" by adding the pre amp onboard or outboard" the depth & width
of tone available is magnified
i personally have been disapointed with sadowsky products simply because of the price"hype" build " & final product
quality.
lastly your 100% on the money about mids" this is where the refined tones truly are.