Why become a member? ×

Pino Clawhand

leroybasslines

[quote name='gjones' post='1114787' date='Feb 4 2011, 12:51 AM']Ahhhhhh Pino.......such a groovy guy

Here's some Pino neck bobbing action you may have/have not already seen (he's using the usual two finger method here but very effectively)[/quote]

I love this clip! I thought it was a brilliant decision by the director to focus on Pino for the vast majority of the song - you get a real insight into the world of the bass player - and well done to Mayer for allowing his band to take the limelight for a bit, not something a lot of pretty boy rock stars would normally do!

In fact, I love this clip so much that I wrote a blog about it! [url="http://runningbomb.blogspot.com/2009/10/magic-thats-between-linesbehind-scenes.html"]http://runningbomb.blogspot.com/2009/10/ma...ind-scenes.html[/url] if you're interested. I wrote it for non-bass players, so forgive me if it's somewhat patronising to those of us already in the know. I'd be preaching to the converted on here... :)

[quote]he plays on the 4 tracks produced by Rick Rubin of the new Adele album "21"[/quote]

It's great to hear what he's working on at the moment. Unlike a lot of players, he doesn't advertise much what he's up to. He doesn't appear to be massively into the Internet at least - his website hasn't worked for years! He seems like a pretty quiet guy anyway, so it's quite hard to find out what he's up to.

I know that he's still pretty much the most sought after session player in the world and one of the most well respected musicians too - a real musician's musician. Jeff Beck wanted him for the tour that Tal Wilkenfeld played on, but he wasn't available and recommended Wilkenfeld to Beck instead. Beck said "I trust Pino's opinions implicitly" and hired Tal for the tour. Not a bad plan B that!

I had the pleasure to speak to Pino Palladino once in the lounge of a Brussels hotel for about 45 minutes and he was polite and friendly...They had played in the lobby to pay for their expenses in the hotel.
He came up to me himself because he seemed to have noticed that I was a bass-player (one can not stop looking at him :-)) and sat down for a chat.
He was very down to earth and indeed very humble about his projects.. When I asked him what his future plans were he said that he was leaving the day after for a tour with Jeff Beck.. Certainly not in a bragging way but only because I asked.

[quote name='wombatboter' post='1114912' date='Feb 4 2011, 08:32 AM']I had the pleasure to speak to Pino Palladino once in the lounge of a Brussels hotel for about 45 minutes and he was polite and friendly...They had played in the lobby to pay for their expenses in the hotel.
He came up to me himself because he seemed to have noticed that I was a bass-player (one can not stop looking at him :-)) and sat down for a chat.
He was very down to earth and indeed very humble about his projects.. When I asked him what his future plans were he said that he was leaving the day after for a tour with Jeff Beck.. Certainly not in a bragging way but only because I asked.[/quote]

Wow! How cool to have met him and how cool that he's a decent guy. According to his wiki page he's on tour with Herbie Hancock at the moment. That's what I call a gig!

Just adding a few things into the playlist based on what his Wiki says he's been up to recently.

Check out this with Jeff Beck and Joss Stone: [url="http://open.spotify.com/track/0K0ZhXX3E3TO1feHSCh6P1"]http://open.spotify.com/track/0K0ZhXX3E3TO1feHSCh6P1[/url]

That octave riff is MASSIVE! I've just decided to buy an OC-2.

Just watching the video in the original post, did anyone else spot him playing a 5 string fretless Ray copy? he has his 4 string there and the Jaguar but there is a Ray-a-like with what looks like a soapbar pickup. I wonder what it is?

Got sidetracked there for a second, superb video, I am a big fan of Pino after seeing him with John Mayer. He is a real class player with a wicked groove. Thanks for posting the video I had not heard this stuff before.

[quote name='leroybasslines' post='1114088' date='Feb 3 2011, 04:25 PM']OK...this is where I admit to the true extent of my geekery on Pino.

If you're a spotify user, get involved with my Pino playlist: [url="http://open.spotify.com/user/owen_liam/playlist/4J0KMwu3HUz9u2joumbZ2Z"]http://open.spotify.com/user/owen_liam/pla...3HUz9u2joumbZ2Z[/url]

Feel free to add or contest as you see fit!

As far as I'm aware, Pino played on everyone of these tracks, from Sugababes to Manu Katche, Gary Numan to Daniel Bedingfield!

My fave at the moment though are his contributions to Roy Hargrove's Hard Groove. Awesome playing![/quote]

Great playlist. Thanks!

[quote name='Lo.' post='1116047' date='Feb 4 2011, 11:56 PM']Great playlist. Thanks![/quote]

Hey, those of you that are listening to the playlist, check out [i]Pastor T[/i] by Roy Hargrove. Great track! I especially like the drumming on it and the almost jamming vibe going on. The low key, minimal funk bass playing led me to think Pino was playing on it (I don't have any kind of personnel listing for the album)...but listening closely the other day I think it's a double bass now! When it breaks down near the middle I can hear some fingerboard growl and slap going on. Do you agree that it's double bass? The player isn't playing in a traditional double bass way - the line is punchy and aggressively on the 1 like an electric player. And if it is...that can't be Pino can it? I've never seen or heard of him playing upright.

I'd be delighted if you say he does though!

[quote name='leroybasslines' post='1116248' date='Feb 5 2011, 09:44 AM']Hey, those of you that are listening to the playlist, check out [i]Pastor T[/i] by Roy Hargrove. Great track! I especially like the drumming on it and the almost jamming vibe going on. The low key, minimal funk bass playing led me to think Pino was playing on it (I don't have any kind of personnel listing for the album)...but listening closely the other day I think it's a double bass now! When it breaks down near the middle I can hear some fingerboard growl and slap going on. Do you agree that it's double bass? The player isn't playing in a traditional double bass way - the line is punchy and aggressively on the 1 like an electric player. And if it is...that can't be Pino can it? I've never seen or heard of him playing upright.

I'd be delighted if you say he does though![/quote]

There's electric bass in the left channel and double bass in the right; Reggie Washington is also on the album so I would say the double bass is him.

[quote name='Stickman' post='1120233' date='Feb 8 2011, 04:21 PM']There's electric bass in the left channel and double bass in the right; Reggie Washington is also on the album so I would say the double bass is him.[/quote]

Do you know what, I was playing along to it last night and I thought there might be two basses on it. I like the idea of having an EB and a DB on one track...nice!

Thanks for helping me out with that one!

The playlist is amazing, but I keep finding myself drawn to 'Show Me The Real You'... The other tracks in the playlist are incredible, but as an avid following/fan of Pino, I think that track in particular captures something REALLY magical in Pino's playing. That track would be nothing without Pino's part in it.

[quote name='skej21' post='1120311' date='Feb 8 2011, 05:26 PM']The playlist is amazing, but I keep finding myself drawn to 'Show Me The Real You'... The other tracks in the playlist are incredible, but as an avid following/fan of Pino, I think that track in particular captures something REALLY magical in Pino's playing. That track would be nothing without Pino's part in it.[/quote]

Totally agree! That's why he's so in demand I guess...he really can polish a turd! :)

I'm being harsh to show off, but it's a little bit true...

[quote name='leroybasslines' post='1120762' date='Feb 8 2011, 10:38 PM']Totally agree! That's why he's so in demand I guess...he really can polish a turd! :)[/quote]

I believe that doing that is technically impossible, but Pino can certainly roll them in glitter :)

[quote name='leroybasslines' post='1120762' date='Feb 8 2011, 10:38 PM']Totally agree! That's why he's so in demand I guess...he really can polish a turd! :)

I'm being harsh to show off, but it's a little bit true...[/quote]

Spot on, thanks for the playlist. I'll be giving my workmates something it think about when I plug my laptop into their stereo. I think Pino can fit into any gig and look like he's been there for years. Top Banana.

Edited by Bassman Sam