Why become a member? ×

sorry i cant understand what this is

KERMITNT

every time i see a fender it cames to my mind this is not a thump rest so what it is
(never had a fender)
1) pinky rest
2) thump rest for leftys (turn the bass the other way)
3)usless like the covers?

what the hell is that what what what :) :) :lol: :D :P :lol: :lol:

Edited by KERMITNT

When it was first introduced, the electric Fender bass was intended to be played with a thumb as well as pizzicato, hence they placed the thumb (NOT THUMP) rest on the underside of the strings so that players could rest their little finger (pinkie) on the bar and pluck the strings with their thum[b]B[/b]

Edited by Grand Wazoo

Worth pointing out that the neck pickup cover is designed to be a hand rest - used in conjunction with the "tug bar", you place the side of your hand on the cover, curl your fingers over the bar & pluck with your thumb!

You'll find exactly the same arrangement on Gibson & Rickenbacker basses of the same era.

Jon.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1110427' date='Feb 1 2011, 01:41 AM']When it was first introduced, the electric Fender bass was intended to be played with a thumb as well as pizzicato, hence they placed the thumb (NOT THUMP) rest on the underside of the strings so that players could rest their little finger (pinkie) on the bar and pluck the strings with their thum[b]B[/b][/quote]

thats explains it thnx guys i had that cocern :) again that dingwall of urs after 50 years they will say what a progressive player for his time we cant play the olr school fanned frets :)

thnx for the info

I really don't get why Fender still piss about putting these things on. Hands up who still plays this way? Me neither, but I do have 2 screw holes in my CV Precision scratchplate that annoy me a little bit and the knowledge that a standard Fender replacement scratchplate probably won't fit. I know it's a small thing but what is the point in the first place?

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='1110529' date='Feb 1 2011, 02:13 AM']I really don't get why Fender still piss about putting these things on. Hands up who still plays this way? Me neither, but I do have 2 screw holes in my CV Precision scratchplate that annoy me a little bit and the knowledge that a standard Fender replacement scratchplate probably won't fit. I know it's a small thing but what is the point in the first place?[/quote]

If they didn't put it on then they'd have people complaining about it - whatever they do they'll not win! :)

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='1110529' date='Jan 31 2011, 06:13 PM']I really don't get why Fender still piss about putting these things on. Hands up who still plays this way? Me neither, but I do have 2 screw holes in my CV Precision scratchplate that annoy me a little bit and the knowledge that a standard Fender replacement scratchplate probably won't fit. I know it's a small thing but what is the point in the first place?[/quote]

I put the covers ON my VM-Jazz.

I thought the guards would be a problem, but they aren't.

The tug bar is great, and as I'm olde school, I like the retro-feel and playability.

I added a 1962 Fender Jazz 13-hole pickguard to it with all the holes, even a hole right in front of the neck p'up that was originally used to keep the tort from curling up on the original basses.

Notice that I used a '62 PG and it fits well. Also the PG from my 2010 Deluxe MiM Jazz fits too. They all fit with a few minor adjustments at the VEE-area where the PG and the chrome control panel meet.

The covers make me a much better player too - try it and you'll find out why.

Edited by Circle_of_Fifths

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1110479' date='Feb 1 2011, 12:19 AM']I think I went into a bar in Brighton once called "The Tugbar" there wasn't many girls in there :)[/quote]

Is that the one next to the Blue Oyster bar?

Maaaahhhooooonneeeeeyyy!!! :)

That is a beautiful VM Jazz.

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='1110529' date='Feb 1 2011, 02:13 AM']I really don't get why Fender still piss about putting these things on. Hands up who still plays this way? Me neither, but I do have 2 screw holes in my CV Precision scratchplate that annoy me a little bit and the knowledge that a standard Fender replacement scratchplate probably won't fit. I know it's a small thing but what is the point in the first place?[/quote]
The point is that Fender only put tugbars on the '57 and '62 vintage reissues because that's how they were in '57 and '62 and the '75 reissue has a thumb rest above the E string as it was in '75. Those models all have the ashtrays too. If you don't want the vintage styling there are plenty of other Fenders to buy. The same applies with the Squier Classic Vibes (although they don't have the ashtrays) because they are classic reissues. The great majority of Fenders and Squiers don't have them.

I rarely (although very occasionally) use the tugbar on my '62 but I do like seeing it sitting there. On my CV Jazz the tugbar is now missing because I replaced the pickguard with a white pearl guard without the tugbar holes - maybe I'll drill them out.