Why become a member? ×

Shuker J J B Custom Bass

Kevin Dean

I was after a good quality working bass & it arrived this week . All for £1400 including hiscox case . Ive had Fenders ,Status,Overwater, Music Man ,Warwick , & this is the best bass I have ever had quality is very very high, Sounds ,well it can do every style I can think of. I was very impressed with the slap sound very unexpected . This is a very robust bass & I can never see my self changing it.

Edited by Kevin Dean

[quote name='Kevin Dean' post='1102729' date='Jan 25 2011, 08:51 PM']I was after a good quality working bass & it arrived this week . All for £1400 including hiscox case . Ive had Fenders ,Status,Overwater, Music Man ,Warwick , & this is the best bass I have ever had quality is very very high, Sounds ,well it can do every style I can think of. I was very impressed with the slap sound very unexpected . This is a very robust bass & I can never see my self changing it.[/quote]

pics or it never happened :)

• 1 year later...

[color=#0000FF][size=3]I got mine at the weekend.[/size][/color]
[color=#0000FF][size=3]This is my third Shuker, and much as I love the 2x 6 string headless basses, this is right on the money for me. I'm an old school guy with a penchant for top end gear... A P bass is really where my roots are.[/size][/color]
[color=#0000FF][size=3]I have the good fortune to be living only a 20 min drive from Jons workshop, so I can discuss builds with him in person, at a whim. (not that I'd bother him unduly) [/size][/color][color=#0000FF][size=3]What a lovely fella, and what a craftsman.[/size][/color]
[color=#0000FF][size=3]I had a few requests for a Precision bass, and not all of them were totally in keeping with the JJB sig bass (black headstock)[/size][/color]
[color=#0000FF][size=3]However Jon had kept back the serial number 16 for a special version of the JJB, the "Suite XVI" and after a little persuasion (and a couple of drinks in Sheffield at the Stranglers gig,) agreed to make this bass 'the one'. I prefer a rosewood neck to maple and Jon had a piece of the rarer Indian Rosewood in his store which I was keen to get my hands on, literally...[/size][/color]
[color=#0000FF][size=3]The mirror scratch plate is purely because I'm currently doing a lot of Lizzy based material in my band... Jon is making a Black one for me as a spare.[/size][/color]

[color=#0000FF][size=3]So here it is, a real one off bass... [/size][/color]
[color=#0000FF][size=3]"Suite XVI"[/size][/color]

[size="2"][color="#0000ff"][size="2"][color="#0000ff"][size=2][/size][/color][/size][/color][/size]

[color=#0000FF][size=3]Right away this bass sounds the business... I plugged it in and immediately it just sings out... Just a hint of aggressive growl from the handwound overwound pickup, all the big thump you'd expect from a P, and it plays like a dream... Furthermore the strings are *really* even tonally anywhere on the neck. It doesn't seem to matter where you play, it sounds like the note just 'belongs'. No swampy E and no thin reedy high notes on the G... just hitting a chord makes it obvious this is a real beauty.[/size][/color]
[color=#0000FF][size=3]I'm not going to go on about this bass at lengths. All I will say is that if you're looking at a top end build at a reasonable price (considering it's totally hand built), you can't go wrong with a Shuker JJB. [/size][/color]

[color=#0000FF][size=3]ah PS The only thing to remember when/if you order is to add a good month to the time quote, as Jon is such a perfectionist he'll not be happy with it at the expected delivery date, and will fix and polish it until he is happy that it is good enough. Most people moan about delays like this, but to be honest I'd rather have a bass take 7 months, than have one that the luthier wasn't happy with in six... It's all part of the price of having a hand-built bass.[/size][/color]

[quote name='GremlinAndy' timestamp='1347998519' post='1807994']
[color=#0000ff][size=3]ah PS The only thing to remember when/if you order is to add a good month to the time quote, as Jon is such a perfectionist he'll not be happy with it at the expected delivery date, and will fix and polish it until he is happy that it is good enough. Most people moan about delays like this, but to be honest I'd rather have a bass take 7 months, than have one that the luthier wasn't happy with in six... It's all part of the price of having a hand-built bass.[/size][/color]
[/quote]

Having met Jon in person, I will absolutely second this - so, you might get the odd delay... but you will [i]absolutely get[/i] the product you want, and at the utmost quality. I'd be happier with that approach than any alternative for a handmade instrument :)

• 1 month later...