Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thread On Tb...

bubinga5

[quote name='LeoFender' post='1096079' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:16 AM']Delusion or desire to continue playing the bass? Kicking the SH1T out of some ones confidence, misplaced or other is going to do nothing for him as a player, or us as a community of musicians.[/quote]

+1000

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1096080' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:16 AM']..and as such is open to judgement from anyone who cares to comment.[/quote]

Commenting and constructive criticism is a world apart from ridicule. I'm not saying that is what you have done Michael as I have not read the thread in its entirety but you have to admit there has been a certain amount of sneering and sniggering in some of the posts.

[quote name='LeoFender' post='1096079' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:16 AM']Delusion or desire to continue playing the bass? Kicking the SH1T out of some ones confidence, misplaced or other is going to do nothing for him as a player, or us as a community of musicians.[/quote]
Are you really this warm and cuddly in real life?

[quote name='cd_david' post='1096085' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:20 AM']Commenting and constructive criticism is a world apart from ridicule. I'm not saying that is what you have done Michael as I have not read the thread in its entirety but you have to admit there has been a certain amount of sneering and sniggering in some of the posts.[/quote]
So what constructive criticism would you give jaxsn then?

And one must take care with constructive criticism as it can come over as rather patronising.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='cd_david' post='1096085' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:20 AM']Commenting and constructive criticism is a world apart from ridicule. I'm not saying that is what you have done Michael as I have not read the thread in its entirety but you have to admit there has been a certain amount of sneering and sniggering in some of the posts.[/quote]
Of course, but it's a fine line though, isn't it?

We all ridicule people regularly... it's part of life. Just because we don't know them, or it's not to their face, does that make it OK?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1096080' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:16 AM']..and as such is open to judgement from anyone who cares to comment.[/quote]

You wouldn't get a professional art critic writing in his column

"Yeah had a look at it and its sh*t"

Im sure their deconstruction of the work would have some educated analysis not just dismissive and full of ridicule.

[quote name='LeoFender' post='1096103' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:30 AM']You wouldn't get a professional art critic writing in his column

[b]"Yeah had a look at it and its sh*t"[/b]

Im sure their deconstruction of the work would have some educated analysis not just dismissive and full of ridicule.[/quote]
Brian Sewell does sometimes.

[quote name='silddx' post='1096087' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:22 AM']Are you really this warm and cuddly in real life?[/quote]

Yes

[quote name='silddx' post='1096093' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:25 AM']So what constructive criticism would you give jaxsn then?

And one must take care with constructive criticism as it can come over as rather patronising.[/quote]

That is down to his peers. I would not be so arrogant as to assume this position. Love and Cuddles x

[quote name='LeoFender' post='1096103' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:30 AM']You wouldn't get a professional art critic writing in his column

"Yeah had a look at it and its sh*t"

Im sure their deconstruction of the work would have some educated analysis not just dismissive and full of ridicule.[/quote]

?

We're not profssional critics, the last time I looked. We're all just a cross-section of Joe and Jenny public.

[quote name='LeoFender' post='1096109' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:34 AM']Yes

That is down to his peers. I would not be so arrogant as to assume this position. Love and Cuddles x[/quote]
Nevertheless, you have assumed that position on here with constructive criticsm of some of our attitudes to jaxsn.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1096111' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:35 AM']?

We're not profssional critics, the last time I looked. We're all just a cross-section of Joe and Jenny public.[/quote]

Then do not assume that role.

If people didn't laugh at his playing there wouldn't any thread. Just seems very ironic that this thread was born out of contempt for the very attitude on display throughout most of these posts.

[quote name='LeoFender' post='1096123' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:41 AM']If people didn't laugh at his playing there wouldn't any thread. Just seems very ironic that this thread was born out of contempt for the very attitude on display throughout most of these posts.[/quote]
No it wasn't. It was born out of Bubinga5's soliciting opinion on what was happening on the tb thread.

[quote name='silddx' post='1095999' date='Jan 20 2011, 09:19 AM'] [/quote]

:lol:

I'm half Welsh and living in the Midlands, so I'm used to a multitude of different accents, but I could only understand one word in six of this clip.

Even making allowances for my strong suspicion that the 'chip on the shoulder' is nothing more than a fashion accessory, I always believed that the concept of a good performance was that it should be able to transcend geographic boundaries and is accessible to any who want to listen to it... :)

Still, it is the X Factor - perhaps one day they'll find the Y chromosome as well... :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1096119' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:39 AM']Nevertheless, you have assumed that position on here with constructive criticsm of some of our attitudes to jaxsn.[/quote]

No I object to your attitude, I have taken exception to the way he has been treated I have not criticised the way you have delivered your criticisms, quite the opposite in fact, I find the way people have ridiculed his ability as a musician and his performance of high merit. In fact nobody could deride the fellow musician with a greater expertise.

Seems to happen a lot round here.

[quote name='LeoFender' post='1096127' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:47 AM']No I object to your attitude, I have taken exception to the way he has been treated I have not criticised the way you have delivered your criticisms, quite the opposite in fact, I find the way people have ridiculed his ability as a musician and his performance of high merit. In fact nobody could deride the fellow musician with a greater expertise.

Seems to happen a lot round here.[/quote]
Why me in particular?

[quote name='LeoFender' post='1096127' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:47 AM']No I object to your attitude, I have taken exception to the way he has been treated I have not criticised the way you have delivered your criticisms, quite the opposite in fact, I find the way people have ridiculed his ability as a musician and his performance of high merit. In fact nobody could deride the fellow musician with a greater expertise.

Seems to happen a lot round here.[/quote]
I know this isn't aimed at me, but I'm fairly sure I haven't criticised JAXSN's ability. He can slap better than me, for sure.

[quote name='silddx' post='1095338' date='Jan 19 2011, 04:29 PM']

HAHAHAHA! I hadn't seen the vids until ten minutes ago. This is my favourite so far.

Sheer madness, X Factor audition quality :)[/quote]

I think he is better than X factor audition quality.
At 02.16 on the video, he reminds all the folks that got lost in the vast array of movement, key & time changes that are
In the complex arrangement - where ONE is.
Now not many X Factor folks can claim to know that [or even Drummers]

Garry

[quote name='silddx' post='1096137' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:52 AM']Why me in particular?[/quote]

If the cap fits?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1096140' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:52 AM']I know this isn't aimed at me, but I'm fairly sure I haven't criticised JAXSN's ability. He can slap better than me, for sure.[/quote]

No not at all WOT, much better than me too.

[quote name='LeoFender' post='1096079' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:16 AM']If you think his confidence out weighs his ability then that should be regarded as a positive tool for self development I would think.
Delusion or desire to continue playing the bass? Kicking the SH1T out of some ones confidence, misplaced or other is going to do nothing for him as a player, or us as a community of musicians.[/quote]

I did mention that I wasn't commenting specifically on Jaxsn, just in general terms.

For someone to improve in any endeavour, it is usually necessary for them to have a reasonable measure of their current abilities, so they know what to prioritise in their practice/learning. Those whose confidence is in considerable excess of their current ability by definition are not objective in this way, or perhaps you could say they have a different way of measuring "success".

I certainly do not advocate kciking the sh1t out of someone's confidence.

Jennifer

Edited by endorka

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1094743' date='Jan 19 2011, 04:03 AM']What do you think of this thread and what do you think of its subject..im saying nothing..

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=727140&page=4"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.p...7140&page=4[/url][/quote]

Now look at what you have gone and done - Five pages and counting... :)

Garry