Why become a member? ×

Wal Pro Bass Sold/ Traded

thestick

:) I have my WAL pro bass, in black i think 81 (from wal database)
serial no, pb1692
great bass not a mark on the rosewood board, frets all good, some cracking in paint on back of body only see at angle,not to front.
the only downside to bass is someone at one time changed the pick ups, (i dont know why)
well i surpose they wanted active it was the 80,s,
I think they are emg,s in , look good done well but ,i was going to put wal pick up back in, spoke to Paul
he said he could replace with wal not a problem.
but i already have a mk2 wal , and got a gas for a musicman stingray 4 single pick up.
looking for £1000 comes with hardcase not a wal case. Edited by thestick

[quote name='thestick' post='1094002' date='Jan 18 2011, 04:02 PM']:) I have my WAL pro bass, in black i think 81 (from wal database)
serial no, pb1692
great bass not a mark on the rosewood board, frets all good, some cracking in paint on back of body only see at angle,not to front.
the only downside to bass is someone at one time changed the pick ups, (i dont know why)
well i surpose they wanted active it was the 80,s,
I think they are emg,s in , look good done well but ,i was going to put wal pick up back in, spoke to Paul
he said he could replace with wal not a problem.
but i already have a mk2 wal , and got a gas for a musicman stingray 4 single pick up.
looking for £1000 comes with hardcase not a wal case.[/quote]

Ooh... I just happen to have a black and maple stingray :) Did Paul say how much replacing the pickup would cost?

thepurpleblob
Sorry Paul did not say, as he was busy at time i rang, he said i could leave it with him and he would sort it out.
regards Trev
I will put some more photos on soon..
can you pm me details of stingray?

Edited by thestick

[quote name='thestick' post='1094064' date='Jan 18 2011, 04:41 PM']thepurpleblob
Sorry Paul did not say, as he was busy at time i rang, he said i could leave it with him and he would sort it out.
regards Trev
I will put some more photos on soon..
can you pm me details of stingray?[/quote]

Oh noes... I love that Ray but a Wal is Wal... you wouldn't be more interested in a 5 string would you?? :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1094196' date='Jan 18 2011, 06:42 PM']Does anybody want to take a stab at what replacing the Wal pickup would cost? Presumably the electronics have been changed too?[/quote]

MB1. :)
Twelvety Pounds?

Edited by MB1

[quote name='basslondon' post='1094883' date='Jan 19 2011, 10:29 AM']Mr Gorman in the house![/quote]
Absolutely!! And yes - I do know what you mean Shaun! :) Leigh was fantastic at the Matthew Ashman Tribute gig in London in November btw...

This bass used to be mine many years ago..bought second-hand from a shop in Buckinghamshire for £400 in 1993! I sold it on when I bought a 2 pick-up version later that year.. Tonally, it was a very nice bass and it played as most Wal's do; i.e. perfectly!

It used to look like this:

[attachment=69304:Pro_1_PB1692.jpg]

Would be interesting to hear it with the different p/ups and controls..

Good luck with the sale!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='1095016' date='Jan 19 2011, 12:30 PM']Absolutely!! And yes - I do know what you mean Shaun! :) Leigh was fantastic at the Matthew Ashman Tribute gig in London in November btw...[/quote]

Matthew Ashman Tribute gig in November?????? Aaaaaaghhh!!!!! Didn't know anything about it. Excuse me while I bang my head against a wall repeatedly. C30, C60, C90, DOH!!!!!!!

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' post='1095091' date='Jan 19 2011, 01:15 PM']Matthew Ashman Tribute gig in November?????? Aaaaaaghhh!!!!! Didn't know anything about it. Excuse me while I bang my head against a wall repeatedly. C30, C60, C90, DOH!!!!!!![/quote]
:)

It was an amazing night..will PM you so we don't hijack this thread!

A friend went to a music fair in Germany many years ago and met Ian Waller and Pete Stevens and ordered the very first Wal Bass around here in Belgium... No one had heard of those basses around here but he liked the sound and the feel.
Years later he sold it to me but the electronics had broken down and everything was replaced by EMG circuitry
I sold the bass later on and lost track of it.
A couple of years later I saw an ad of someone who sold a Wal MKI around here in Belgium and I bought it. It's the one in my avatar
When I asked the seller why he sold it he told me had this old Wal bass which he preferred above the MKI.
Someone had told him that it wasn't an original one and that the "real" Wal basses were a lot better.
So he took a plane from Belgium to end up in Manchester and bought an MKI only to conclude that he preferred the old one above the MKI (good for me since I was able to buy it).
When I asked him if I could see this old Wal bass he came back with the old Wal with EMG's I used to own :-)
He said that the EMG pick-ups sounded better in his opinion and it was his favourite bass..
As to say that the change in pick-ups don't make this an inferior instrument..
Good luck with the sale..