Why become a member? ×

NEW MEMBER ALERT!!

kdphysio

Hiya everyone,

I've just began playing again at 40 years old, after a 23 year break following the traumatic break-up of my school band!!!

Over the years i've kept the fingers going with the old six string, but the wife surprised me at xmas with offering to buy me a new four string!

Would welcome any advice re best value 'starter' guitars, practice amps, or any 'must buy' instruction books/dvds etc, to help get my head around it all.

Hope to be in touch with some of you soon.

Karl

Edited by kdphysio

Hi Karl - a prodigal maybe, but we won't kill the fattest moderator because ............................... (insert mods name when quoting reply) will get upset :)

I'm sure you've got lots of questions. Make good use of the search facility because you'll find they may have been asked before :huh:

Enjoy the site.

Hamster

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='125047' date='Jan 21 2008, 09:39 PM']Back to bass after 23 years.....it's like the Prodigal Son returning :)

Welcome Karl.[/quote]
Welcome. Anyone remember where we left the fatted calf? Never mind just get a tinny from the fridge

Welcome!
Your wife has taste .. :)

Just find a local tutor and sign up for a few lessons to make sure you are going in the right direction with your technique and then try to play with other people as soon as possible. It's the fastest way to feel good about your playing ...

Then see if there's a adult education class in your area for whatever type of music you fancy, (we have a blues one and few jazz ones near us) go along and have a look that might do it for you ..

+1 on loads of advice on here ... Just ask

OG

Edited by OldGit

Hi Karl

Congrats on restarting ! I had a similar lay off, "only" 15 years in my case. You'll find this place friendly helpful and non judgemental on any questions even those you might think are silly.
By the way, try Line 6 for a practice combo. T'aint perfect but prices seem OK for the flexibility they have.

Best Chop