Why become a member? ×

Aguilar DB751 into 112 cab

Steve Spector

Would it be disastrous to put an Aguilar DB751 through a single GS112 when travelling light. The DB751 puts out 400W at 8 ohm, while cab is rated 300W at 8 ohm - obviously a slight mis-match, but would that be problematic? It would be for small places and therefore amp not turned up much, so should be safe or not?
Thanks,
Steve

Won't have any problems at all, as long as you don't crank the head to the max

[quote name='Steve Spector' post='1086163' date='Jan 11 2011, 10:13 PM']Would it be disastrous to put an Aguilar DB751 through a single GS112 when travelling light. The DB751 puts out 400W at 8 ohm, while cab is rated 300W at 8 ohm - obviously a slight mis-match, but would that be problematic? It would be for small places and therefore amp not turned up much, so should be safe or not?
Thanks,
Steve[/quote]

Of course you could do it... but IMV, the 112 cab is only fit for quiet gigs ...I don't even bother with one at rehearsals even though I am running 1 x 200w side in 4 ohms..so for a 8 ohms cab, maybe 135w or ???

But sure, it is possible, but you will be pretty quiet,

FWIW, I love my 2 x 112, but am not knocked out with the 1x112.
The combined sum is far greater, IME,

Tell you what, sell me your 750 and buy a LMll or something :)

[quote name='JTUK' post='1086187' date='Jan 11 2011, 10:35 PM']Tell you what, sell me your 750 and buy a LMll or something :)[/quote]

Thanks guys. I'm looking at a 412 to make good use of the head - just thinking it'd be massive massive overkill in a lot of circumstances and a little handy cab would be nice to have sometimes.
Steve

You'll be just fine. Keep your ears open for signs of stress coming from the cab. I'm in a worse situation, i'm putting a 500W@8ohm head trough a 300W@8ohm 1x12 cab (although the cab says it's 375W in the back plate...) and i haven't had the need to crank the amp to a point it would bother the cab!

I've recently been using a DB750 into a GS112 for a couple of rehearsals in a large, acoustically 'dead' room against a drummer who's not desperately loud.

It coped really well and didn't need a lot of driving to get to some pretty serious volumes. It was backed right up against a wall & raised about 2-3 feet off the ground.

Had to boost mids on the amp to about 3 o'clock but everything else flat.

[quote name='Steve Spector' post='1086216' date='Jan 11 2011, 10:59 PM']Thanks guys. I'm looking at a 412 to make good use of the head - just thinking it'd be massive massive overkill in a lot of circumstances and a little handy cab would be nice to have sometimes.
Steve[/quote]

Shameless hijack, but I may be selling my Marshall VBC 412 if that is of any interest?

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1086880' date='Jan 12 2011, 04:33 PM']Shameless hijack, but I may be selling my Marshall VBC 412 if that is of any interest?[/quote]

Got the 751 today. Was presuming I'd sell my Peavey Tour 450 but actually they look really nice stacked together!
Be interesting to see just the 2 compare over the next few days. At present only have the Peavey 410 cab to put the through the.
Learned something new today - I thought all Speakon connectors could take a 1/4" jack within them (the Peavey's can) but obviously some do and some don't - the Aggie don't so I had to pop out and buy a Speakon/jack cable.
Steve

I've been using a DB750 with an Epi ul112 for a couple of years without any problem - I don't tend to play at high volumes but on the occasions that it's been necessary, the cab has coped admirably. Just don't really push the amp and listen for signs of stress as others have indicated