Why become a member? ×

Recommended replacement for a Peavey Black Widow

Guest MoJo

I have acquired a Peavey 115BX BW cabinet with a blown Black Widow 1502-DT driver. Can any of you technical bods advise me on a suitable Eminence replacement please?

Specifications of the Black Widow:

Re: 6.1
Fs: 42.4
QTS: 0.32
QMS: 7.5
QES: 0.34
VAS: 205
No: 4.5%
Xmax: +/- 2.8mm
VD 225

Many thanks in advance

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1084805' date='Jan 10 2011, 08:38 PM']Just out of interest why aren't you just fitting another BW?[/quote]

Too bleedin' expensive :)

[quote name='bassman2790' post='1084816' date='Jan 10 2011, 08:43 PM']Too bleedin' expensive :)[/quote]

Good point!

The Peavey drivers have replaceable baskets so if it's just that then it could be a simple fix. Just out of interest what is the cost difference between buying the Peavey & Eminence?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1084827' date='Jan 10 2011, 08:49 PM']Good point!

The Peavey drivers have replaceable baskets so if it's just that then it could be a simple fix. Just out of interest what is the cost difference between buying the Peavey & Eminence?[/quote]

A quick scout on fleabay reveals that I can expect to pay around £90 + shipping for a replacement basket which isn't bad but, I've heard that the Black Widows aren't the best driver for reliability. This may be an urban myth, in which case, I'd gladly buy a replacement basket

Went through the same issues when my 15" BW gave up about 2 years ago - the glue on the cone gave up - it was new in 1985 so I had my £s worth. FWIW an Eminence Kappalite 3015 would make a premium lightweight replacement and is better value than a replacement basket/cone. Kappalite 3015 as used in Barefaced Compact.

Measure the internal volume of the Peavey cab, then look at the Eminence website designs for 3015. If the Peavey cab is in volume (cm3) range go ahead. Also note the port sizes and resize the Peavey cab ports. It won't be exact but near enough should be OK.

With my Peavey I did not worry about the specs, I bought a Fender (Eminence) 15" used 4 Ohm off the forum and fitted it. Worked a treat, maybe I got lucky! I was moving it on & just wanted it to work whilst getting some £ back after 28 years use.

Do you want a 4 Ohm 15" BW with duff voice coil, free on pick up.

edited for sense

Edited by 3below

I have to say that I've found Black Widow speakers to be fantastically reliable... I know that may seem odd as you have a blown driver but I used a pair of 350w BW Hi-SysII PA cabs for 15 years and we put the whole band through those (bass drum et al) and we used power amps from 1000w-2200w and we never ever had a problem with them. In fact they DJ who bought them from me was just saying the other day that they are still going strong after 18 years and the best sounding drivers that he has!

Oh and I am not sponsored by Peavey nor do I presently use them but I have had various Peavey cabs over the years and for the price they are hard to beat. :)

Watch out for Post Office handling charges if you import from USA, not to mentions import duty & VAT. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you get unlucky on this one. Last time stung for £8 handling because of £1 customs charges.

Might be cheaper to buy another BW fitted bass cab - they appear often enough on *bay. Use the spare wood to keep warm, though MDF is a b* to burn.

Refitting the new basket is not as easy as it sounds - I dismantled my BW to identify the problem. The speaker coil never went back in correctly despite care. Result was distorted grinding sounds.

It is possible to get them reconed in the UK, but my conclusion is that the Eminence Kappalite 3015 is the way ahead. Later when you get bored with the weight of the Peavey MDF cab you can self build a lightweight 15" cab e.g. BFM Jack 15 or clone something else.

I have used Peavey kit for over 32 years - currently Tour 700, and 2 valve guitar combos. Previously 2 bass combos & Firebass 700. Failures - one only, the BW speaker glue gave up after 28 years. Bomb proof & reliable. The only downer (at my age) is the weight of some kit. The 1x12 BW guitar combo is a beast, weighs far more than the Barefaced Big One, is heavier than the 2x12 Duece combo. MDF vs plywood as they are both 120W valve chassis.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1084962' date='Jan 10 2011, 10:39 PM']I have to say that I've found Black Widow speakers to be fantastically reliable... I know that may seem odd as you have a blown driver but I used a pair of 350w BW Hi-SysII PA cabs for 15 years and we put the whole band through those (bass drum et al) and we used power amps from 1000w-2200w and we never ever had a problem with them. In fact they DJ who bought them from me was just saying the other day that they are still going strong after 18 years and the best sounding drivers that he has!

Oh and I am not sponsored by Peavey nor do I presently use them but I have had various Peavey cabs over the years and for the price they are hard to beat. :)[/quote]

Completely concur with this experience. The BW are phenomenally great speakers that can handle anything. Might be worth looking out for a secondhand BW equiped TNT/TKO combo they are fairly cheap and sell between £60 - £150

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peavey-1x15-Black-Widow-Bass-Cab-Great-condition-/150546279807?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item230d41ed7f"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peavey-1x15-Black-Wi...=item230d41ed7f[/url]
[url="http://southampton.gumtree.com/southampton/27/71637927.html"]http://southampton.gumtree.com/southampton/27/71637927.html[/url]
[url="http://glasgow.gumtree.com/glasgow/97/70549097.html"]http://glasgow.gumtree.com/glasgow/97/70549097.html[/url] - WELL WORTH CONSIDERING!
andy

Edited by andy67