Why become a member? ×

Support slot available - Shepherds Bush Empire

coasterbass

Copied up from 'Gigs' Section....

Evening All,

I'm organising an event booked in at Shepherds Bush Empire for a Friday in late July and our first choice of support band dropped out so we have a slot available. I'd much rather give what is a great opportunity to someone on BC than pick a random act from elsewhere, so if you fancy it then please PM me with descriptions/links etc.

Here's the deal:
Its a 3 act event and we're looking for the main support act, ideally for a 40min slot
Originals bands preferred - something rock/indie ideal.
There will be a charitable aspect to the gig so ticket sales are important. You must be able to shift at least 200-300 tickets without struggling, and be able to demonstrate that you can do that. That probably means that you're from the London area, or already famous
You'll need to be amenable to a degree of gear-share, and be nice guys (that includes any guitarists! )

In return you'll get:
A top slot in a proven event, with hopefully 1000 punters lapping up your creative genius
Being able to say that your next/last gig was at Shepherds Bush Empire
(Possibly) a multitrack recording of the gig that you can mix together (haven't worked out the technicalities yet)

So, anyone keen? I can't labour enough that you need to be able to shift the tickets as otherwise the whole event with fall flat, but if this sounds like you then please get in touch

Cheers

Nick

[quote name='coasterbass' post='1087632' date='Jan 13 2011, 09:47 AM']No one interested?? Thought there would be loads of interest in this. :)[/quote]

I think the 'must be able to shift at least 200-300 tickets without struggling' far out ways the 'being able to say that your next/last gig is was at the Shepherds Bush Empire'.

To be honest,to me it sounds like more of a hassle than a 'great opportunity',as it sounds like a typical pay-to-play scenario.

[quote name='coasterbass' post='1087632' date='Jan 13 2011, 09:47 AM']No one interested?? Thought there would be loads of interest in this. :)[/quote]
There were a LOT of lurkers when I first clicked on this thread. Whilst I'm sure people can't see this as anything other than a serious offer I think it's a case of hanging on to see who the other bands on the bill are & who the charity is. We could just about manage about 300 but we'd really have to take a hit and pull out the stops. And we wouldn't even entertain that unless we knew exactly what we were doing it for & getting ourselves into. Shepherds Bush would be amazing but I've played other (smaller) world famous London venues like The Marquee and The Troubadour where the stakes have been a lot lower.

I only offer my thoughts as you raise the question / point and hope it's not seen as me being in any way antagonistic. I'm sure there are a lot of bassists here who are in acts that could pull 300 easier and equally a fair few more who simply wouldn't be able to get 300 in the first place but this is just my perspective on why I'm not chewing my arm off to do it at this stage.

I would never agree to play a charity gig at a venue of this size unless the following was agreed in advance

1) You had the support, backing and PR muscle of the intended charity
2) You clearly stated the percentage of profit going to the charity in question
3) You could prove some element of official corporate sponsorship to minimise the potential for losses
4) You had secured at least one name headline band

All fair points, so thanks for flagging these up. Guess maybe I thought the appeal of doing a show at that venue for a good sized audience was more appealling than it seems from an outside perspective. Its good to get different views on things - I guess thats why we're all here!

Perhaps I should provide some further explanation... I put in a 'requirement' to be able to pull a crowd because, to be frank, a venue of that size is expensive and also looks rubbish half-empty. If there are three bands playing then they would all need to pull their weight in terms of bringing a crowd and 200+ is what each band would need to bring in.

I've organised these each year for the past 5 years, in increasing sized venues - from Bush Hall to Indigo2. We underwrite the hire costs and all the organisation costs and in return some 'up and coming' bands get to play a venue they wouldn't otherwise be able to, and generally to an audience much larger than they have played previously. Its a good fun thing to do.

I found it interesting how the charity aspect attracted the most comments. Basically the event breaks even and of what is left over we give some away. We don't seek backing of the charities - we just write them a cheque. A couple of years ago we put an air conditioning unit into the Renal Unit at St George's hospital, then we did a larger cancer charity, then the following year we made a loss. So, best to put the charity aspect aside and just look at it as a gig opportunity (which is how I intended my original post).

Cheers all.

[quote name='coasterbass' post='1089529' date='Jan 14 2011, 04:55 PM']Guess maybe I thought the appeal of doing a show at that venue for a good sized audience was more appealling than it seems from an outside perspective.[/quote]

Its MASSIVELY appealing but my band could not pull in 200-300 punters sadly ... and I suspect therein lies the rub for most of us :)

Best of luck with this