Why become a member? ×

Bass Collection?

BASainty

Lately iv noticed quite a few Bass Collection basses knocking round.
I have had no experience with them and at the moment I am looking into getting a new bass,
Iv had my eyes on a few Squires for a while but I thought I would find out what people think of Bass Collection before I make a decision.

So what do people think?

These are from the same people who didn't mind selling their comfort strap which happened to have plastic clips that kept breaking and dropping like flies left right and centre, cheaply made in indochina? Well... on that account, would I buy a bass from the same people who cares so little about a selling a strap that could possibly damage my hard earned good quality bass? I would think twice!

Which then again explains why so many Bass Collection are found, as you've righlty put it.... knocking around.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1083955' date='Jan 10 2011, 09:57 AM']These are from the same people who didn't mind selling their comfort strap which happened to have plastic clips that kept breaking and dropping like flies left right and centre, cheaply made in indochina? Well... on that account, would I buy a bass from the same people who cares so little about a selling a strap that could possibly damage my hard earned good quality bass? I would think twice!

Which then again explains why so many Bass Collection are found, as you've righlty put it.... knocking around.[/quote]

Depends on the Bass Collection basses you are refering to, the original vintage Bass Collection basses from the early to mid-nineties are cracking basses, well made for the price that they now command secondhand.

I have no experience of the current Bass Collection basses, and it is these ones that are associated with the comfort strap retailer.

If you are looking for a lightweight bass that's well put together with a very slim, fast neck the I'd have to say the bass collection.

I spent an entire day in Glasgow trying everything. I had about £2000 in my pocket to spend on whatever I wanted. I went home with a Bass Collection. One of the new ones.

The older ones are well worth a look as well. Made in Japan, Gotoh Tuners, some with gotoh bridges. choice of fretted and fretless 4,5 and 6 string versions and loads of different ranges from a simple passive PJ to a 6 string zebrawood topped, gold hardware active jobbie

Can't comment on the new ones but the original SGC Nanyo Bass Collections (which the new ones must be licensed copies of) are an absolute steal at the prices they go for now. Beautifully light and well-balanced, proper decent Gotoh hardware (much better than the Squiers), and very fast, playable necks. Not entirely convinced by the pickups on the SB310/320s (but then, nor am I by the Squiers), but the soapbar models sound very nice in a modern sort of way. My fretless 330 is going nowhere!

Nonetheless, if I wanted a vintage Fender sound I'd go for the (fretted) VM over all the other options. I know the CVs have better quality control etc but I don't think their core tone is up to much whereas the VMs I've tried have the potential to be absolute monsters.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=697&hl=obscure"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=697&hl=obscure[/url]

SGC Nanyo (Made In Japan) Bass Collection basses are (IMHO) easily the most under-rated, under-priced instruments out there. They have a LOT of fans on Basschat.

Go looking for a late-80's/early-90's SB320 in excellent nick ... they frequently go on eBay for £200 or less. These are instruments which had a list price at the time which approached £800, and they are of a quality to match that price.

At the sort of prices you can get them for today, they're a complete no-brainer.

As an alternative, our very own Silent Fly has an excellent current version of this bass for sale right now which he has retro-fitted with his own-design pre-amp. I've played it, and the electronics make it a match for any of the four originals I've owned.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1084158' date='Jan 10 2011, 01:11 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=697&hl=obscure"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=697&hl=obscure[/url]

SGC Nanyo (Made In Japan) Bass Collection basses are (IMHO) easily the most under-rated, under-priced instruments out there. They have a LOT of fans on Basschat.

Go looking for a late-80's/early-90's SB320 in excellent nick ... they frequently go on eBay for £200 or less. These are instruments which had a list price at the time which approached £800, and they are of a quality to match that price.

At the sort of prices you can get them for today, they're a complete no-brainer.

As an alternative, our very own Silent Fly has an excellent current version of this bass for sale right now which he has retro-fitted with his own-design pre-amp. I've played it, and the electronics make it a match for any of the four originals I've owned.[/quote]

+100 on the early ones. Mind you, the original pups aint great in the passive ones. I got a 1991 SB301 that I bought new, its a bit 'roadworn' now, but still a great bass.