Why become a member? ×

Humbucker pickup into a Fender P bass

Helloooo!

I have a '51 reissue Japanese Fender P-bass.

Sounds deep and growly...just like Fender intended. It feels great, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

However, I have always been a fan of the Stingray sound...(but not the bass itself...which is odd).

I am seriously considering buying and fitting a Stingray humbucker (for instance like these: [url="http://www.guitarpartsshop.co.uk/acatalog/Music_Man.html"]http://www.guitarpartsshop.co.uk/acatalog/Music_Man.html[/url] ) in the bridge position to my Fender.

Although the Fender's tone is amazing, I sometimes wish that I could have a little more clarity, but with a bit more balls if you know what I mean...

Aside from the cosmetic look (which many Fender fans may crucify me for!!), would anyone be able to lend me some useful advice on whether this would be a good-ish idea or not?

I have experimented with basses in the past, and have never really been disappointed with what I have done, but I've never added a pickup that wasn't there in the first place...

I realize that a lot of the signature Stingray sound is because, put simply, it IS a Stingray bass....but would it sound all too much different if I got it fitted on my P-bass?

Apologies if there is already a thread on this subject, but I couldn't find one...!

Many thanks,

Matt.

It depends if you plan on keeping the '51 long term. they are now discontinued so prices are on the rise. modifying one would drop the value.

Have you considered getting a regular P and doing it? Something along the lines of a mex or even going for one of the Squier vintage 50s things the same shape as what you already have.

Speak to Ou7shined and ask him about his Pingray. I'm sure he'll be able to offer some sensible advice and insight into such a project, having done it himself.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86953"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86953[/url]

Edited by EBS_freak

The Stingray sound is as much to do with the MM pre-amp as with the PUP type and position, just dropping in a MM-style PUP will not do the job you want. In short, you're going to run into a lot of expense with hardware and routing (and probably a custom pickguard) that likely will not be justified by the result. Remember, over and above these issues, your two PUPs have to work with each other tonally and electrically (passive P with active MM), which might result in your needing to buy another P-PUP and possibly even a custom circuit/pre-amp (I'm not sure whether there is an after-market MM-like preamp that will accommodate the P-PUP).

If you want to stay with Fender, get an old Precision Deluxe with P-PUP and MM-Style PUP (there have been a few on sale here over the years), it'll be as close as you're going to get. If you need a mix of Precision and 'ray, there's plenty of other manufacturers who can do the job for you, and probably a lot cheaper!

C

The Pingray is great! Funny how the jazz body suits perfect :)

+1 With getting a Deluxe Precision.

If not how about the MM + neck jazz pup method?

Theres a Cort in my local shop with this. It plays amazing, sounds even better and doesnt look too bad for the asking price. Ive seen some nice Corts go for pennies quite recently.

Lakland would be the next best thing.