Why become a member? ×

Too much fuzz?

fraff

Hello all

I have a Bass Bug Muff, a Prunes & Custard and a 3XFX Buzz Bomb – now looking for a flexible (dirty) OD / fuzz that I can potentially leave on more or less all of the time, boosted when needed by something else on the board. I’m currently GASing about the Wounded Paw Battering Ram and the Iron Ether Oxide.

Key for me on this I think is a good blend control - I have the P&C and the Buzz Bomb on separate loops through my LS2 so can use that for blend control on those, though the P&C does have a clean Mix control too.

Any thoughts / suggestions folks? Apart from 'get over your fuzz fixation' :)

Cheers

Ian

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1077190' date='Jan 4 2011, 12:18 PM']I always say it but Zvex Mastotron if you haven't already tried it.

With that and my Russian Big Muff my fuzz GAS is long gone.[/quote]

Cheers

The Mastotron has definitely got my interest in the past - was tempted when Theo (Dosi Y'Anarchy) was selling one a while back - but I think the lack of a blend control rules it out this time.

I'm a big fan of the DHA stuff. You can have simple (VT1) or with added EQ (VT1 EQ) or have two channels, one more subtle and one filthy (VT2EQ)
You can also swap valves for different tones. The DI is pretty good too.
I don't think there's a battery option though, so you'll need to lug a mains adaptor around with you, and the look is quite marmite.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1077364' date='Jan 4 2011, 02:44 PM']I'm a big fan of the DHA stuff. You can have simple (VT1) or with added EQ (VT1 EQ) or have two channels, one more subtle and one filthy (VT2EQ)
You can also swap valves for different tones. The DI is pretty good too.
I don't think there's a battery option though, so you'll need to lug a mains adaptor around with you, and the look is quite marmite.[/quote]

My VT2EQ doesn't quite get me "fuzz". I'd like to try the Fuzzy Feeling.

[quote name='TomTFS' post='1078182' date='Jan 5 2011, 06:25 AM']Way Huge Swollen Pickle.

New one has loads of options and is very versatile. No blend though, but holds the low end very well.[/quote]

Yeah, another great pedal from what I've heard. So much fuzz, so little time... If it had a blend I reckon it could have been the one.

Having checked out Battering Ram availability with Preston at Wounded Paw, looks like the next batch will be ready in about 3 weeks. His UK shipping though is 60 Canadian dollars, while Tone Factor will ship at $15 US dollars. Mind you, his is couriered / tracked all the way.

I'm thinking the Ram is the way to go, unless you know different?

[quote name='ahpook' post='1082165' date='Jan 8 2011, 02:58 PM']i'd say yes...

have you looked at the reviews on bassfuzz.com ?[/quote]
I have yep, makes the ram a front runner as it should cover both OD and fuzz.

Will check out the pickle pie b too

Thanks guys

[quote name='Wud' post='1084751' date='Jan 10 2011, 08:06 PM']Do you have a specific Fuzz sound in mind ?

The Oxide is one immense pedal!!!
Well worth the wait/additional import VAT & delivery charges incurred on importing any items over from the US.[/quote]
Well, I'm no great shakes on matching particular sounds to particular fuzzes, but I'd say that the Prunes&Custard covers the filter-y / slightly synth-y end of things and the Buzzbomb is crazy but really versatile in fact, from the fizzy end of things to the out-and-out face melting. I like it! The Muff does what it says on the tin as everyone knows.

Sooo, I guess I'm looking out for something that gives me a good range of tone and blendability. I'm after something that's likely to be on on a low blend throughout tracks - and I think the OD and Fuzz sides of the Battering Ram would give myriad varieties of dirt.

Edited by fraff