Why become a member? ×

RH450 - Gain

JustaBass

I have recently bought an RH450 2nd hand but appear to have a problem and was wondering if anyone can advise.
When i try to set the gain level on the amp the red light overload indicator does not come on i can put it all the way round.

I have a shuker jazz bass and mainly play it in passive mode the leads i use are the pro series NP2X-AU-SILENT
which i bought from bassdirect.

Has anyone got a suggestion to resolve this am i doing something wrong for instance. :)

[quote name='JustaBass' post='1076675' date='Jan 3 2011, 07:31 PM']I have recently bought an RH450 2nd hand but appear to have a problem and was wondering if anyone can advise.
When i try to set the gain level on the amp the red light overload indicator does not come on i can put it all the way round.

I have a shuker jazz bass and mainly play it in passive mode the leads i use are the pro series NP2X-AU-SILENT
which i bought from bassdirect.

Has anyone got a suggestion to resolve this am i doing something wrong for instance. :)[/quote]

First thing to try is another bass as well and see if the problem goes away - then a different lead. What brand and model of pickup is in the Bass? I know there are some with a particularly low output level such as Seymour Duncan ASB actives, in comparison to say EMG pickups - but I would at least expect that you can get enough signal to drive the input gain hard enough to flicker the gain LED!

Oh - even though you are running the Bass in passive mode (and correct me as I am not sure what electronics you are using) do you have a fresh battery on board?

Hi all,

Thanks for all your advice i have changed the battery and tried again with no luck but then followed doods suggestion and
used my old (Cheap) lead and would you believe it the gain light is reactivated.

Now i have paid a fair bit of money for two leads that i thought would be pretty good is it possible that they have some sort
of resistor in them that will not activate the gain light?

I feel as if i have wasted my money and should have got a couple of new cheap ones...any thoughts.?

My TC gain can be quite high on some passive basses , so may not be a problem with the amp, although I know its off putting to crank it up as usually this is not the done thing on most amp heads

Is the out put on the bass low anyway ? I raised the pick ups on my MIM and it made a massive difference

[quote name='lojo' post='1080433' date='Jan 6 2011, 08:52 PM']My TC gain can be quite high on some passive basses , so may not be a problem with the amp, although I know its off putting to crank it up as usually this is not the done thing on most amp heads

Is the out put on the bass low anyway ? I raised the pick ups on my MIM and it made a massive difference[/quote]

The bass has 2 Delano JMVC 4 FE/M2 pickups so fairly meaty sound it really looks like the leads i bought
are the issue.