Why become a member? ×

Kid Charlemagne

jakenewmanbass

I remember reading here a few times that Kid Charlemagne was a favourite bassline of a few people on here, so I decided to post this:

[url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=157445473"]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=157445473[/url]

Myself and a few North West guys got this band together to headline at the 2006 Manchester Jazz Festival (for a bit of fun really) we had such a good time that we got a couple more gigs and this one was recorded. The mix is not great but once your ears adjust you can hear there is some great talent at work here, and that we are all having a fantastic time.
Jake

[quote name='Darryll-Profane' post='122920' date='Jan 18 2008, 03:48 PM']Hey Jake. Sounds great man. Some familiar faces in that group too. Gotta love Mike Walker!!

I remember one evening Richard giving me a lift back from BOTW and playing me some Donald Fagen (which album it was escapes me) and it was another of those eye opening experiences!

Take it easy squire.

Darryll[/quote]

Cheers Darryll
Mike is world class, there's no other way to say it!
Jake

[quote name='jakesbass' post='122726' date='Jan 18 2008, 11:00 AM']there is some great talent at work here, and that we are all having a fantastic time.
Jake[/quote]

Great sound there - thought the lead vocal was good on both the SD tracks - as you say, sounds like you had a ball!

Hamster

Great stuff.
I've just rec orded KC with a couple of mates as a little side project. Great bass part but very challenging isn't it, I found the guitar solo section especially tough but got there in the end.

Any Dan fans should go and see Nearly Dan at the jazz Cafe on sunday.

Edited by lonestar

[quote name='Hamster' post='123001' date='Jan 18 2008, 05:33 PM']Great sound there - thought the lead vocal was good on both the SD tracks - as you say, sounds like you had a ball!

Hamster[/quote]

Funnily enough the singer on that recording as well as being a great singer is also a superb bass player, nice to do a gig with another bassist, very talented guy. His name is Neil Fairclough

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='lonestar' post='123150' date='Jan 18 2008, 09:48 PM']Great stuff.
I've just rec orded KC with a couple of mates as a little side project. Great bass part but very challenging isn't it, I found the guitar solo section especially tough but got therfe in the end.

Any Dan fans should go and see Nearly Dan at the jazz Cafe on sunday.[/quote]

The drummer on that recording (Brian Hargreaves) often plays with Nearly Dan

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='123751' date='Jan 20 2008, 12:21 PM']Just got to listen - great, love it but can't help wondering why people don't do their own thing? As good as it is, its only second hand glory...

Would do the gig in a minute, tho'[/quote]

I do do my own things too, I do think that some of the great music deserves to be played, kept current in the aural tradition, passed on, the constant striving for the new sometimes leads people up their own arses. We are in touch today in many many guises with the earliest sounds cavorting as music known to the species, and as players we are driven to learn it then pass it on. I understand you enjoy it, and that pleases me, but because I posted it does not mean I am not involved in original music, and I would be no less an artist if I wasn't.
I'm glad we've still got Bach, Parker and hope there'll be more of them to come
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='124164' date='Jan 20 2008, 09:42 PM']I do do my own things too, I do think that some of the great music deserves to be played, kept current in the aural tradition, passed on, the constant striving for the new sometimes leads people up their own arses. We are in touch today in many many guises with the earliest sounds cavorting as music known to the species, and as players we are driven to learn it then pass it on. I understand you enjoy it, and that pleases me, but because I posted it does not mean I am not involved in original music, and I would be no less an artist if I wasn't.
I'm glad we've still got Bach, Parker and hope there'll be more of them to come
Jake[/quote]

Very well said!! :) :huh:

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='124555' date='Jan 21 2008, 01:13 PM']No probs. Just a chip on my shoulder. Our local scene here is Suffolk is 96% covers bands. I just wish the percentages were a little less weighted against something fresh.[/quote]

I feel for you living in an area with a paucity of enjoyable gigs and I applaud the largess of character you display in admitting to a "chip" on your shoulder. I hope you find something to stimulate your obvious hunger for something good.
Jake