Why become a member? ×

Yowsah Yowsah Yowsah

hairyhatman

Bass Brothers and Sisters

Absolutely essential that I draw your attention to an upcoming book from Stuart Clayton's Bass Publishing company on the extremely cool and much missed Bernard Edwards.

He often came off stage with bleeding fingers due to his playing style. He played with an index finger/thumb plectrum action .... but didn't actually use a plectrum if you see what I mean. Now that's committment to your art. Try it out and see how far you get.

Good call Stuart. Come out of the closet all you funkdisco disciples and pay homage to the great man.

[url="http://www.basslinepublishing.com/ultimatefunkdisco.htm"]http://www.basslinepublishing.com/ultimatefunkdisco.htm[/url]

Al

PS

[i] “Bernard never changed strings,” says Nile Rodgers. “Bernard was asked, ‘So, what kind of strings do you use?’ He looked at his bass and went, ‘I don’t know; what kind of strings come on a Music Man bass?’”[/i]

Edited by hairyhatman

• 1 month later...

[quote name='hairyhatman' post='122578' date='Jan 18 2008, 01:12 AM']Bass Brothers and Sisters

Absolutely essential that I draw your attention to an upcoming book from Stuart Clayton's Bass Publishing company on the extremely cool and much missed Bernard Edwards.

[b]He often came off stage with [u]bleeding fingers [/u][/b]due to his playing style. He played with an index finger/thumb plectrum action .... but didn't actually use a plectrum if you see what I mean. Now that's committment to your art. Try it out and see how far you get.

Good call Stuart. Come out of the closet all you funkdisco disciples and pay homage to the great man.

[url="http://www.basslinepublishing.com/ultimatefunkdisco.htm"]http://www.basslinepublishing.com/ultimatefunkdisco.htm[/url]

Al

PS

[i] “Bernard never changed strings,” says Nile Rodgers. “Bernard was asked, ‘So, what kind of strings do you use?’ He looked at his bass and went, ‘I don’t know; what kind of strings come on a Music Man bass?’”[/i][/quote]

sounds like someone from THE SIMPSONS...
the sax player in the simpsons is called bleeding gums murphy
if they ever have a bass player sketch, the character should be called BLEEDING FINGERS EDWARDS

Big thanks for the mention hairyhatman (now that's a name!). The book went on sale yesterday, and has proved enormously popular, even though I haven't had the opportunity to mention it on any bass-related forums yet! Thanks to those of you who have purchased so far, all orders have been shipped where funds have cleared, so copies should be reaching you all on Monday. Probably Tuesday knowing the way the postal service is in this country.

For those of you who haven't heard of the book, it's an indepth analysis of the music that Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers created with Chic, Sister Sledge, Diana Ross etc. It contains 20 songs, transcribed for bass AND guitar! The book is in the same format as books like Standing in the Shadows of Motown and The James Brown Rhythm Sections in that it's not full transcriptions in the traditional sense, rather each section is analysed a bit at a time: verse, then chorus etc. All the classic lines and fills are present and correct of course.

The songs are: 'Good Times', 'Le Freak', 'We Are Family', 'He's the Greatest Dancer', 'Dance Dance Dance', 'I Want Your Love', 'Everybody Dance', 'My Forbidden Lover', 'Burn Hard', 'Chic Cheer', 'My Feet Keep Dancing', 'I'm Coming Out', 'Why', 'Strike Up The Band', 'Upside Down', 'My Old Piano', 'Thinking Of You', 'Lost In Music, 'Happy Man', 'Pretty Baby'.

There's also an indepth analysis of their career, playing styles, discographies etc - some of you might have seen a chunk of this in the latest issue of Bass Guitar Magazine.

I'll be running a basschat-exclusive competition later today, or tomorrow. There will be three copies of the book up for grabs in the form of a competition. I'll write the questions and post the competition later.

Best,
Stuart

Edited by Stuart Clayton

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='153646' date='Mar 8 2008, 04:03 PM']Big thanks for the mention hairyhatman (now that's a name!). The book went on sale yesterday, and has proved enormously popular, even though I haven't had the opportunity to mention it on any bass-related forums yet! Thanks to those of you who have purchased so far, all orders have been shipped where funds have cleared, so copies should be reaching you all on Monday. Probably Tuesday knowing the way the postal service is in this country.

For those of you who haven't heard of the book, it's an indepth analysis of the music that Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers created with Chic, Sister Sledge, Diana Ross etc. It contains 20 songs, transcribed for bass AND guitar! The book is in the same format as books like Standing in the Shadows of Motown and The James Brown Rhythm Sections in that it's not full transcriptions in the traditional sense, rather each section is analysed a bit at a time: verse, then chorus etc. All the classic lines and fills are present and correct of course.

The songs are: 'Good Times', 'Le Freak', 'We Are Family', 'He's the Greatest Dancer', 'Dance Dance Dance', 'I Want Your Love', 'Everybody Dance', 'My Forbidden Lover', 'Burn Hard', 'Chic Cheer', 'My Feet Keep Dancing', 'I'm Coming Out', 'Why', 'Strike Up The Band', 'Upside Down', 'My Old Piano', 'Thinking Of You', 'Lost In Music, 'Happy Man', 'Pretty Baby'.

There's also an indepth analysis of their career, playing styles, discographies etc - some of you might have seen a chunk of this in the latest issue of Bass Guitar Magazine.

I'll be running a basschat-exclusive competition later today, or tomorrow. There will be three copies of the book up for grabs in the form of a competition. I'll write the questions and post the competition later.

Best,
Stuart[/quote]

Nile Rodgers has been on radio 2 all this week talking about his favourite songs that he's produced. Funny story about "Le Freak" .. it started off with him and some mates jamming the groove , and they added the words " F*** Off" as the main line. After careful consideration that it wouldnt be commercially viable they changed it to " Freak off" decided that sounded naff , so changed it to " Freak Out" ..... I think he went on to say it became his most successful to date . Cool story ... made me chuckle when I heard that ! lol

[quote name='NickThomas' post='153703' date='Mar 8 2008, 07:00 PM']Nile Rodgers has been on radio 2 all this week talking about his favourite songs that he's produced. Funny story about "Le Freak" .. it started off with him and some mates jamming the groove , and they added the words " F*** Off" as the main line. After careful consideration that it wouldnt be commercially viable they changed it to " Freak off" decided that sounded naff , so changed it to " Freak Out" ..... I think he went on to say it became his most successful to date . Cool story ... made me chuckle when I heard that ! lol[/quote]

It's all in the book....

Stu