Why become a member? ×

Fender Price in 1950s?

KiOgon

Cheerz, I just dug out the Fender Bass book & it does indeed show, " List price of the new Fender Precision bass is $199.50. The new Bassman Amplifier lists at $203.50, subject to usual dealer discount."

I imagine most working bass players had to save long & hard to pay for their kit, or more like 'God bless Hire Purchase!'

[quote name='Sibob' post='1072531' date='Dec 30 2010, 10:34 AM']Which, according to dollartimes.com, is worth about $1727.59 in 2010.

Interesting :)

Si[/quote]

Which is getting towards what an NOS custom shop reissue would cost... which is probably the closest current model in terms of how it is constructed in the factory.

Edited by dlloyd

[quote name='Sibob' post='1072531' date='Dec 30 2010, 10:34 AM']Which, according to dollartimes.com, is worth about $1727.59 in 2010.

Interesting :)

Si[/quote]
This is what I was wondering when I saw this post. My folks had a mortgage for £2k in 1970. It's easy to forget about inflation. My 1978 Fender Precision bass has the original receipt. It was £254 on November 27th 1978 and the original buyer paid cash.

Edit - According to the Bank of England website my bass would now cost £1086.36 as of 2009.

Edited by BurritoBass