Why become a member? ×

Need a small lightweight cab under £500 HELP!!

willyf87

Yeah science wasn't one of my strong points lol!! But I do understand what your saying!! So you reckon an 8ohm 1x12 cab COULD be just as loud as both my MAG cabs at 4ohms, but maybe not project quite as well. i have a feeling the efficiency in my two MAG cabs isn't going to be as good as buying one high end cab.

tbh, if you can't get loud enough with a Midget, I would say it's your amp you need to rethink.

I agonised for ages before getting the midget; I couldn't believe such a wee thing could do the job. But believe me, those Midgets are seriously loud.

I've comfortably cadged a lift home, sitting in the back seat of a Corsa with three other people in the car. The Midget was on my knee (no comments, please :)), and my bass between me and the door. The guitarist had his gear in as well. Try that with a 4X10 .

Edited by fatback

[quote name='willyf87' post='1067621' date='Dec 23 2010, 11:27 AM']Yeah science wasn't one of my strong points lol!! But I do understand what your saying!! So you reckon an 8ohm 1x12 cab COULD be just as loud as both my MAG cabs at 4ohms, but maybe not project quite as well. i have a feeling the efficiency in my two MAG cabs isn't going to be as good as buying one high end cab.[/quote]

Yes in theory BUT if you are talking about stacking a single 1x12 driver against a 1x15 and a 2x10 chances are (almost certainly) that the bigger stack would win by virtue of the multiple drivers and more importantly some of the drivers would be closer to your ears!

However that wouldn't put me off looking at the options available and not getting to hung up on the biggest badest cab available!

There must be someone off BC lives near enough to let you have a little play through a cab such as a Schroeder or a Barfaced! I have a Tech Soundsystems 2x12 cab (courtesy of LukeFRC) and it is the size of a 1x12 and is designed exactly the same as Schroeder (one speaker on an angled, recessed baffle that you can barely see) and I would happily gig that in my 6 piece rock band (twin guitars, keys etc. doing Skynyrd ZZ Top etc) HOWEVER (sound of the the 'Can of worms' being opened), I rely on my cab(s) as part of my sound (rarely put my bass through the PA so FOH is my rig sound) and I like the sound that I get from my pair of Aguilar DB12's more than the Tech cab... does that matter so much to you? :)

There's a guy near me selling his tec amp 210 cab 300 quid and he's pretty close to me, yeah in a perfect world I would like to rely purely on the sound made from the cabs I'm using without FOH support, except it's not a perfect world and I have a lack of funds lol, but as long as I sound good through both mediums I'd be happy!! I'm definitely not looking for a huge cab, just something that can hold it's own be lobbed in the boot of a band mates car with my board and bass and still have enough room to get other members gear in as well!!

I feel your pain, I literally leave it at our rehersal studio, and moving it out of the corner to the middle of the room is a nightmare and it's only 10 feet, I just drag the whole stack haha, getting the thing into my mates car with a big boot with all the back down it just about all fit in and all he had in there was a couple of cymbal stands and his cymbal bag.

i'm now looking at the promethean p5210 combo wit the 2 ten inch speakers, only thing I can't work out is whether the stack is 4 ohm or 8 ohm!! Ibanez site isn't too clear but indicates to me that that particular model is 4ohm so I should get full power from the head, anyone know??

[quote name='willyf87' post='1067905' date='Dec 23 2010, 04:28 PM']i'm now looking at the promethean p5210 combo wit the 2 ten inch speakers, only thing I can't work out is whether the stack is 4 ohm or 8 ohm!! Ibanez site isn't too clear but indicates to me that that particular model is 4ohm so I should get full power from the head, anyone know??[/quote]

Don't get sidetracked now! :)

Are you likely to use the Promethian on its own in which case the 4/8ohm is immaterial, if you are adding an ext cab then you need it to be 8ohm but you are back to that dilemma of transporting the ext cab as well! I've heard the Prom 1x10 and it's a fascinating bit of kit but I seriously doubt that you'd be putting that up against 2 guitars... however, with a 1x10 Prom and an ext cab you are looking at pretty damn small.

If it were me I'd be looking around to see what is available used in your locality, then see if you can blag a trial. See if you can manage with just a sensitive 1x15/2x10 or whatever config.

[quote name='willyf87' post='1067666' date='Dec 23 2010, 12:03 PM']There's a guy near me selling his tec amp 210 cab 300 quid and he's pretty close to me, yeah in a perfect world I would like to rely purely on the sound made from the cabs I'm using without FOH support, except it's not a perfect world and I have a lack of funds lol, but as long as I sound good through both mediums I'd be happy!! I'm definitely not looking for a huge cab, just something that can hold it's own be lobbed in the boot of a band mates car with my board and bass and still have enough room to get other members gear in as well!![/quote]

That Tech cab sounds like a good bet. If it's not for you then you won't lose out in selling it on i suspect.

RE the Schroeder questions on the previous page, they definitely don't put out a flat response.
There is a well documented mid-hump which gives the cab (well, my 1221r anyway) a huge amount of grunt. On a noisy stage it's handy, especially if your drummer has an old, mid-heavy kit (the type made before drums were commonly mic'd up on everyday gigs). I used to have to really hammer my old Hartke stack to get the required volume, with the Schroeder i barely have to tickle the volume knob :)

Some people on here say they lack bottom end but i don't find that, it is there and is quite impressive for a cab with all those drivers crammed into such a small space, but the mids are quite dominant unless you eq them out.

The 1212r i have is perfectly capable of a clean, flat, modern sound - just eq to taste basically, same as you would with every other cab. When we had gigs with in ear monitors (ie when the drummer didn't hammer the cr@p out of his kit and i had loads of frequency spectrum to play with) i got, to my ears, a very modern and "hifi" sound.

Really the idea is to try (ideally gig) the suitable cabs and pick the one you like the best. As this isn't always possible it's advisable to buy second hand as you won't lose money each time you sell on. Have a look at the FS section here

If you can scrape together some more cash then have a look at this:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=114170"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=114170[/url]

A bit over budget but you also get a 400w Markbass head in there, so it evens out!

[quote name='willyf87' post='1067930' date='Dec 23 2010, 04:45 PM']I think my brains literally had enough lol, I should probably just get a nice powerful head and a good sensitive speaker except I know that's gonna cost nearly a grand and i really cannot afford that!![/quote]

Check out that MB combo i linked to, seeing as you've budgeted £500 for a cab a combo like that is worth a look.

[quote name='willyf87' post='1067905' date='Dec 23 2010, 04:28 PM']i'm now looking at the promethean p5210 combo wit the 2 ten inch speakers, only thing I can't work out is whether the stack is 4 ohm or 8 ohm!! Ibanez site isn't too clear but indicates to me that that particular model is 4ohm so I should get full power from the head, anyone know??[/quote]
I don't know fer sure, but I'd be suprised if it's 8ohm. I'm pretty sure it's 4ohm.

Based on my experience with the 1x10, I'm fairly confident the 2x10 will handle most gigs in decent-sized rooms. Unless you're in a Sunn O))) tribute.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my GK MB210, especially as I now use it with a GK MBE115 extension cab, it sounds huge and is very loud, I can carry the combo and cab from car to stage in one visit :) even without the cab the combo is good, I have had the combo nearly a year, have put some egg crate foam on the back wall to smooth out the sound a bit, it was boomy but I now put that down to my Gibson SG`s humbuckers since I got my IBanez BTB770 with its more versatile EQ . Great product from GK