Why become a member? ×

Going in circles

newbass1000

Hi all

I'm 15 and i've been playing about 10 months now
Bass pretty much occupies most of my free time and i find myself playing 4-5 hours on a good day.
But no matter what I do, I can't progress in any direction, i'm confident in playing both pick and fingerstyle, i'm confident on all the basic scales and arpeggios all over the neck and I have at least a basic grasp of theory but i'm really not sure where to go from here, I learn at least a few songs a day but it seems as I practise new songs, I begin to forget old ones, I've tried literally everything and for the last 3 months my playing hasn't improved at all, i feel like i'm not good enough to join a band just yet.

Could anyone give me some advice?
Thanks.

[quote name='newbass1000' post='1066230' date='Dec 21 2010, 10:25 PM']I've tried literally everything and for the last 3 months my playing hasn't improved at all, i feel like i'm not good enough to join a band just yet.

Could anyone give me some advice?
Thanks.[/quote]

Yeh, join a band! I think one of the wisest things you can do as a young bass player is to join a band, irregardless of your perceived or actual level of ability. Here's why

1. You'll have fun
2. It will help build your muscle memory and with any luck you'll start to remember left hand patterns and the different ways your playing operates underneath a bunch of musicians
3. You can be as serious as you like, there are a lot of opportunities for bands of all ages, levels and abilities to get out there and perform, you can strive for that or just have fun rehearsing every week.
4. Girls like lads in bands. Fact

Of course practicing at home is key as well, have a good listen to how your favourite bass players play and try and get your timing together. Don't focus on how good your technique is at first as this will come with time. Practice with a metronome and nail your timing. If there's one universal truth it's that no one likes a sloppy bass player, no matter how fast they can play.

What kind of music do you like to play?

EDIT - I would also agree with Thombassmonkey in that it's probably a good idea to seek a competent teacher, but whatever you do make sure he knows his stuff and isn't just a guitar player masquerading as a bass teacher!

Edited by risingson

I was in a band for a while when i just started playing but we didn't share any music tastes really and we didn't get on so that didn't work out.

And I like to play all sorts of stuff, but at the moment i'm focusing on learning material from : Led zeppelin, Radiohead, Kings of leon, Muse, Pixies , Stone Roses , Rage against the machine and Rush ( i'm really getting nowhere with this last one ) But as I say, I keep forgeting a large proportion of basslines, and i'm not sure just learning songs is going to help for the future.

If you can afford it, have lessons. I'd also recommend just playing with other musicans. Don't worry about if people like different stuff, you'll progress faster playing with other players. At 15yrs old there is plenty of time to find your dream band / players so you may as well learn with some others whilst you are getting yourself up to speed.

[quote name='newbass1000' post='1066253' date='Dec 21 2010, 10:49 PM']I was in a band for a while when i just started playing but we didn't share any music tastes really and we didn't get on so that didn't work out.[/quote]

Ahh welcome to first major problem of being in a band. You should look at putting something together that isn't too serious, and never be too worried about perhaps playing some stuff you're not too keen on, it's all a learning curve. At the same time your band mates should understand that you might not be so keen on covering a tune that isn't to your taste either. If you do create a band make sure it has people in it that are relaxed and are just keen on having a good time.

[quote]And I like to play all sorts of stuff, but at the moment i'm focusing on learning material from : Led zeppelin, Radiohead, Kings of leon, Muse, Pixies , Stone Roses , Rage against the machine and Rush ( i'm really getting nowhere with this last one ) But as I say, I keep forgeting a large proportion of basslines, and i'm not sure just learning songs is going to help for the future.[/quote]

You've got a broad spectrum of music you like to listen to here. The Pixies might be a good place to start. Take the bass line from 'Monkey Gone to Heaven', you'll notice that the bass in the verses jumps out at you. It's all just a case of listening to what Kim Deal is playing and replicating it on your bass. This might seem like a daunting task but I believe that the best way you can learn the bass is by using your ears, and I promise over time the ability to learn bass lines will become marginally easier. It's all about using your ears. Don't focus too much on stuff that is too difficult to begin with, come back to it once you're ready and have built your confidence.

Finally, as I'm sure a few posters will tell you, a great thing is to invest at least a few lessons in a good teacher. It's difficult for us to dole out advice over the internet on how to do things, the way you'll learn best is through example and repetition. Best of luck!

Thanks a lot for your help.
What you've just mentioned was what pretty much split up the band, I was just starting out and not looking to start somthing serious.
And I'm currently taking bass lessons from a guitar teacher but they're only for 25 minutes a week during school time.
I wouldn't know where to look for an experienced bass teacher.

[quote name='newbass1000' post='1066230' date='Dec 21 2010, 10:25 PM']i feel like i'm not good enough to join a band just yet.[/quote]

You will not know that to you have tried.
Maybe think about finding some Musicians or a band local to you, that might be possibly at the same stage as you.
At your age you kinda help each other along - its worth giving it ago, and you might surprise yourself.
As others have said, get a good teacher if you can. Apart from getting your chops together it will motivate you.

Edit - what part of the country are you?

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='newbass1000' post='1066283' date='Dec 21 2010, 11:13 PM']Thanks a lot for your help.
What you've just mentioned was what pretty much split up the band, I was just starting out and not looking to start somthing serious.
And I'm currently taking bass lessons from a guitar teacher but they're only for 25 minutes a week during school time.
I wouldn't know where to look for an experienced bass teacher.[/quote]

Where abouts are you based my friend?

Something to take you completely out of your comfort zone would be to have a go at the Registry of Guitar Tutors bass syllabus
(RGT - here - [url="http://www.rgt.org/"]http://www.rgt.org/[/url]. If you want, you can find an alternative (or additional) tutor or,
given you have some grounding, take a look at, say, the grade 3 or 4 bass syllabus to kick off with. Not only would thid give you a taster of different genres,
but if you wanted you could take an exam and get graded as well!
You can take it at your own pace or dip in and out when you want. It's done me nothing but good and I'd recommend to anyone.

You got to play with real people as well, no substitute, but have an aim - decide on material before you pick up instruments, sort out a date, practice together regularly and work towards a performance, even if only for family, friends, school, etc. It'll be worth it.

G

Edited by gicut58

To repeat.... find a tutor, join a band.

Also, if you are learning four or five songs a day then you are not pushing yourself. Find something to learn that you can't learn in a day.

Have you considered learning to play something else? - learning keyboards / guitar / drums will open up some new perspectives.

Can you read music? If not, why not? Consider doing all that grade nonsense to improve your theory? Learn jazz?

The trick is to keep one step outside of your comfort zone but a good tutor would help immensely with that.

You sound level headed, which is always a good start. As others have said, get a teacher, get in band or at least get together with other players, and simply enjoy yourself. You'll find over time that you will have progressed, you just won't realise it.

Also, the tender age of 15 you've loads of time to grow into the instrument and find your way. Plus, I'm guessing you'll be leaving school next year? Maybe a college course in music is something to strive for when you do eventually leave school.