Why become a member? ×

Made me think Wayne would like this

SS73

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/1977-Vintage-Rickenbacker-4001-Bass-Custom-Paint-Job-/220712557651?pt=Guitar&hash=item33637e5c53#ht_4195wt_1139"]http://cgi.ebay.com/1977-Vintage-Rickenbac...#ht_4195wt_1139[/url]

Not sure what happened with the binding though.

I'm always amazed by how so many people are too dense to fit the pickup covers correctly - that looks bloody stupid. Quite like it in general (apart from the clunky FatAss II mod) but the RickResource Faithful will definitely be choking on their own spew over this!

What's wrong with the binding?

Jon.

[i][b]with a very unique custom black and white angle checkerboard paint job[/b][/i]

I suspect that playing checkers on that board would be something of a challenge. I wouldn't even fancy it for a quick game of noughts & crosses.

But I'm glad to see that it's [i][b]very unique[/b][/i]. I really hate it when things are only partially unique.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1063301' date='Dec 19 2010, 10:41 AM'][i][b]with a very unique custom black and white angle checkerboard paint job[/b][/i]

I suspect that playing checkers on that board would be something of a challenge. I wouldn't even fancy it for a quick game of noughts & crosses.

But I'm glad to see that it's [i][b]very unique[/b][/i]. I really hate it when things are only partially unique.[/quote]

Backgammon?

That is a nice looking Ric but it's still a Ric.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1063734' date='Dec 19 2010, 05:12 PM']Is the owner expecting U-Boat attacks? :)

[url="http://twistedsifter.com/2010/02/razzle-dazzle-camouflage/"]Dazzle camouflage[/url][/quote]

:) , good ploy, I hear Phil Lynott's Dazzle worked well for post gig fun.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='1063319' date='Dec 19 2010, 10:52 AM'][url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicstorelive/5269190968/in/photostream/"]It's a bit Happy Shopper in places[/url][/quote]

The binding is only on the body wings on Ric basses, not on the heel of the through neck, so this is correct for a genuine Ric. It looks OK with a stock Rickenbacker bridge, as that extends down to the bottom of the body. It looks weird here because of the Badass bridge which has been fitted.

[quote name='simon1964' post='1065934' date='Dec 21 2010, 05:18 PM']this is correct for a genuine Ric.[/quote]
It's also correct for all the old through-neck copies I've seen, apart from a peculiar Italian-made Gherson. Apropos of nothing at all!

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1066011' date='Dec 21 2010, 06:41 PM']It's also correct for all the old through-neck copies I've seen, apart from a peculiar Italian-made Gherson. Apropos of nothing at all!

J.[/quote]

Wrong end of stick guys, click on Bloodaxe's post and it shows a very odd looking binding, which has been off the bass and glued back on over the top of the over spray, basically it's stickin out like a sore whotsit.

[quote name='SS73' post='1066070' date='Dec 21 2010, 07:43 PM']Wrong end of stick guys, click on Bloodaxe's post and it shows a very odd looking binding, which has been off the bass and glued back on over the top of the over spray, basically it's stickin out like a sore whotsit.[/quote]
Fair point, actually - you need to look at the huge full-size images to see clearly, but that's a proper shonky job.

What a strange way to do it though - you'd think masking the binding, or scraping off the overspray with the edge of a sharp blade would be a damn sight easier than trying (and broadly failing!) to re-bind the whole bass!

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1066081' date='Dec 21 2010, 07:58 PM']Fair point, actually - you need to look at the huge full-size images to see clearly, but that's a proper shonky job.

What a strange way to do it though - you'd think masking the binding, or scraping off the overspray with the edge of a sharp blade would be a damn sight easier than trying (and broadly failing!) to re-bind the whole bass![/quote]

Looking again at the picture of the jack sockets, it seems that perhaps the binding was kept on the bass, as its showing binding beneath paint!, it just gets worse.