Why become a member? ×

Ashbory Strings

Jean-Luc Pickguard

I'm down to a single Ashbory (sold the blackbory, kept the bluebory) and have been plagued by the snapped G string syndrome recently. To try to address this problem [s]I've put on a pair of extra large boxers[/s] I've put on a set of road toad pahoehoe polyurethene strings, as fitted to Kala Bass ukes.

I didn't have to pay stupid money on getting them across the pond as they are stocked by [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/kala_ukule_bass_string_set.htm"]Thomann[/url]. I only came across them when searching thomann.de for Kala, they don't seem to come up in a search for Road Toad or Pahoehoe (or Ashbory). I added them to my order when I bought my T-bird pro-v, so I didn't have to worry about any postage cost.

I was initially concerned about the suitability as they're for a 20/21" scale, but that's not a problem and if the E was any shorter it probably wouldn't be long enough, so this set is ideal.

The strings are very slippery so they can't be knotted, so to fit them a few cable ties were needed to prevent slippage. A bag of 100 2.5mm black ties was 65p from the local screwfix.

I have them fitted now & Wow! They feel great. No talc is needed as the strings are smooth, not grabby like the silicone ones. They also sound very good. Perhaps not such an obvious double-bass tone as the silicone ones when played solo, but still a nice deep woolly fundamental, and a more clearly defined note.

Intonation is much easier as the strings don't stretch so much under my fingers, so less compensation is needed in the fretting position.

Once on the bass, they do stretch, but not as much as the silicone ones, so minimal retuning is required.

I'm very happy with these so far & I don't think I'll be going back to the standard ones. I expect I'll add a set to my next thomann order to keep as spare.

I made the same change about a year ago and I've never looked back.
Mine are the shorter scale low tensions, which I got from Roadtoad in the US and they arrived within a week for about $25 inclusive.
I didn't use any cable ties, I just stretched them round the posts and they've held fine - and they have continued to stretch, but they are more stable than the original strings and it's nice to be free of the white powder - it was giving me a bad name!
Mine do get a bit grabby and sticky, so I spray my fingers with silicone spray and rub the strings occasionally - this makes them very slippy and fast and a £2.19 tin has lasted me over a year so far.

[attachment=66670:P1040821.JPG]

[quote name='redstriper' post='1062546' date='Dec 18 2010, 03:20 PM'][attachment=66670:P1040821.JPG][/quote]
Love the colours - makes the bass look even more 'fisher-price'!

That's a surprising amount of length on your E string considering they're the shorter scale set. My E has only an inch poking out free and goes around the post just under a full turn.

If the strings get grabby, I'll give the spray a go - cheers for the tip

I don't think I'll be able to go back to the original strings. They were fun to play on, but these are much easier.

I'm surprised that yours are shorter - a friend of mine has a 21" scale Kala U-Bass with the same strings and they have plenty of spare.
Mine are still stretching and I'll soon have enough spare to make another set!
I think my low tensions are more prone to stickiness - the E and A feel different to those on the Kala.
I couldn't resist the 'dreads' because I play mainly reggae, but I have a set of black ones too, for any 'serious' gigs.
I was told to be careful with the silicone spray because it can damage the lacquer on the bass, but I've seen no problem so far.

• 1 month later...

I finally got to use the Ashbory in a band setting with the new strings- three of us from o5b are forming a cut-down acoustic band under a different name doing folkie/americana stuff aimed at pubs which are too small for the full lineup - the idea being totally acoustic apart from the ashbory going through a small amp - my £35 crate practice amp seems to do the job surprisingly well. We had a living room rehearsal - Mr drummer was using just a snare with jazz brushes & doing BVs, Mr guitarist was playing acoustic & singing lead. I was going to either take my NS upright or tanglewood acoustic, but settled on my Pahoehoe-equipped ashbory to see how the strings sounded in a band. It knocked me out as I managed to get the best double-bass-type sound I'd ever achieved from anything at low volume. Simlar to my weedwackered Stentor, but less hard work. We recorded the session & knocked together a demo, so hopefully we'll be gigging the lineup soon and the Ashbory will be my weapon of choice for it. Must get a spare set of strings soon.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1222531' date='May 6 2011, 07:57 PM']Based on this thread I too purchased a set and they arrived from Bass Direct today.

Perfect length, less sticky, better tension and a much fuller warm tone... Wow! A seriously worth while investment. Cheers chaps :lol:

Shep

[/quote]

That's a nice bass - where did you get it :) :)

Hope you're enjoying this - I just couldn't get my head around it though I loved the sound...

I think I need to get out more (or stay in and read more I'm just not sure...)

Steve, I thought you were avin' a laff when you talked about rubber strings the other day!

Erm...pick-up?...how?...why?...someone please edjumacate me, it's starting to hurt behind my eyes!