Why become a member? ×

My Iceni Zoot Custom 5

sk8

Mike Walsh built me a custom 5 string Zoot Bass. Build thread of sorts is [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=82578&hl=sk8"]here[/url]

Thought it was time it got its own thread in the Bass Guitar bit

Played it again today through the LM3 and Purple Chili Cab. Going from the four to the five seems quite natural now and i think i'll be ale to go between both as i think the five for church may be a step too far with the low B rumbling

I think one of the greatest strengths is the VBE (Vintage Bass Emulator) circuit. Not quite sure what this does as it was originally going to be a Low Pass Filter on a switch :) When Mike was doing the controls he decided that three switches didn't look right aesthetically so he went with knob. Think its got its basis in a lowpass filter but think mike has done a bit more. Need mike to answer that one :)

Iceni two band EQ is very effective and as some others have said the Bart pups are quite [i]dark[/i]

Suits me though

build quality is top notch and the woods mike used are superb especially the Swamp ash for the body. Its very light and comfortable.

Bonuses for me were the schaller straplocks and the adjustable brass nut. Nice touches and unexpected. One thing i really like aesthetically is the laminate between the finger board and neck. Not sure what wood it is but its a brilliant touch.

Mike really builds great basses and if funds allowed i'd like another

I love its simplicity and even though this was built on a budget i think mike has nailed my custom bass first time

If i get another i think i will stick with the swamp ash and maple neck and maybe get different pups and electronics.

A big thank you to Mike for making this possible and working within a tight budget.

If anyone is thinking about a custom bass i strongly recommend you get in touch with mike if only for his funny stories

Thanks again Mike

Edited by sk8
  • Like 2

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1060548' date='Dec 16 2010, 01:29 PM']Yummy Yumerson. Looking forward to having a wee plonk on this in Febs. :)

edit : will you be taking the Purple Chili with you too Mike?[/quote]Yeah, purple chili coming too but LB sold so it will have to be the trusty Black and Yellow for making loud purposes!

• 12 years later...
On 23/02/2023 at 22:37, greentext said:

Sorry to resurrect this age old thread but I think I bought this bass in 2014 from Bass Direct and owned it for a short period from the grain pattern this has to be the same bass, this is the only photo I have of it from my short ownership. 

zoot.thumb.jpeg.f8433c507a02f64fe159044eb7875852.jpeg

That’s insane. Definitely the same one 

2 minutes ago, sk8 said:

That’s insane. Definitely the same one

Yh gotta be, turned out to be a real stinker by the time it got to me. Don't know if you can see by zooming in my photo at the 24th fret, you can see the G string was running straight off the fretboard and if you look at the B its way in on the fretboard, so it played really bad but thought I was just adapting to the new bass but turns out it wasnt me. I didn't notice as I was just so stoked to finally own a Zoot, but my guitar tech at the time, came to pick it up from rehearsals and from across the room was like what is going on there! I returned it Bass Direct not shortly after he gave it the once over and got my first P-Bass there on starting an obsession im yet to shake, so not all bad things haha 

On 27/02/2023 at 10:10, BlueMoon said:

Calling @Cosmicrain

I can and still do for people who ask for the original Zoot bass shape.  Not sure what was going on with Geentext and the neck situation, all I know is Mike Birch would have thrown it straight back at me if I made it like that, meaning someone has tried to do something and had the neck off and then not got it back on again properly.  Oh well such is life and these things happen.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cosmicrain said:

Not sure what was going on with Geentext and the neck situation, all I know is Mike Birch would have thrown it straight back at me if I made it like that, meaning someone has tried to do something and had the neck off and then not got it back on again properly

Yh was a real shame, obviously between the original owner and me some stuff is gonna happen, someone must of been jacking around with it, just was unlucky I believe. Bass Direct handled it well and sorted me out I walked away happy. 

• Like 1