Why become a member? ×

Anyone know what the black bit inside the truss rod hole on a Fender Bass is?

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1057093' date='Dec 13 2010, 11:40 AM']Aye, I wanna know what it is or where I can get one so I can fit one to my basses[/quote]
I should imagine it's just a piece of black plastic piping that's been cut flush with the headstock during manufacture rather than something that's just installed afterwards as is.

So maybe hit up your local hardware store for something of the appropriate diameter and thickness? Shaping it might prove a bit tricky though.

[quote name='Musky' post='1057144' date='Dec 13 2010, 12:19 PM']I should imagine it's just a piece of black plastic piping that's been cut flush with the headstock during manufacture rather than something that's just installed afterwards as is.

So maybe hit up your local hardware store for something of the appropriate diameter and thickness? Shaping it might prove a bit tricky though.[/quote]

+1

It's not on the Fender spare parts list.
I suspect that, if the bass didn't have one fitted in the first place, there probably won't be room for a piece of plastic piping.

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1056905' date='Dec 13 2010, 06:57 AM']+1 @ Bloodaxe ^
I've run a magnifier over my MiM P head & it does look like a plastic liner, it's the only 1 of mine that has it.[/quote]

My Squier, Peavey, and Woodfield all have them. As stated it looks like a bit of pipe cut off to the shape of the hole.

[quote name='daz' post='1058135' date='Dec 14 2010, 03:28 AM']My Squier, Peavey, and Woodfield all have them. As stated it looks like a bit of pipe cut off to the shape of the hole.[/quote]

On my Fender Strat it's brown and very clearly made out of wood. So perhaps you could bung a bit of wood in and drill through it?