Why become a member? ×

My first Fretless - a wish list

apa

OK Im in the market for a fretless but Im not liking what Ive feen so far. The thing is Im a bit picky in what I want so heres the list. Im looking either new or second hand around the sub £300 mark. Its realy just a pointer to any specific make and model and I'll do the rest. I do like the look of an Ibanez ATK if thats a pointer.

Must haves:
Fretless
NOT Lined
4 string
MusicMan ish
Rosewood / Ebony Finger Board

Prefered but not essential:
Natural finish
J style neck (But nor J style pups etc)

Not bothered:
Active / passive

Now thats not a tall order is it?? LMAO

So if you happen to see the (bass as discribed above) Oh wont you tell her that I (am prepared to make a reasonable offer)!

cheers in advance etc.

A

You want a [url="http://en.euroguitar.com/bass/cort/gb/75p-fretless-serie-limitee/124990.html"]Cort GB74[/url]

The first thing that came into my mind when you said Musicmanish for your budget. You would need to be looking secondhand though

Or a [url="http://www.imuso.co.uk/Bass-Guitars/7711-/Cort-Curbow-4FL-Fretless-Bass-Cannon-Black?utm_source=googleproduct"]Cort Curbow[/url]

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1048518' date='Dec 5 2010, 06:22 PM']Yes that is a tall order.. the tallest bit is a £300 bass with an unlined board... an unlined board is really in the midst of higher end basses... you could get a second hand Squire and get a new neck... why do you want it unlined can i ask..[/quote]
Hi Bubinga5

Hey I like a challenge :-D and I just think they look nice. Nothing to do with 'lined is cheating etc' stuff.

A

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1048531' date='Dec 5 2010, 06:30 PM']You want a [url="http://en.euroguitar.com/bass/cort/gb/75p-fretless-serie-limitee/124990.html"]Cort GB74[/url]

The first thing that came into my mind when you said Musicmanish for your budget. You would need to be looking secondhand though

Or a [url="http://www.imuso.co.uk/Bass-Guitars/7711-/Cort-Curbow-4FL-Fretless-Bass-Cannon-Black?utm_source=googleproduct"]Cort Curbow[/url][/quote]

Interesting suggestion Delberthot Ive found one for £300 new at Thomanns

Ive also found the Vintage V940FL at £200 or am I looking at a Dog????

A

[quote name='fatback' post='1048553' date='Dec 5 2010, 06:53 PM']Maybe you can find an old Westone Thunder. They come in unlined fretless and have a jazz-ish neck.

Actives aren't up to much, but switched to passive with a good outboard pre sounds the biz and plays beautifully. :)[/quote]

Oooohhh Im liking the look of a thunder :-) but not sure about the P pups but thats going high on the list.

A

[quote name='apa' post='1048560' date='Dec 5 2010, 07:01 PM']Oooohhh Im liking the look of a thunder :-) but not sure about the P pups but thats going high on the list.

A[/quote]

I had my doubts about the pups until I started putting it passive through a sadowsky pre, and it's a different beast. Mwah by the bucket, and quite aggressive in a pleasing way once I got the rounds off and stuck some heavy elixirs on.

Very high output from the standard pups on this one anyhow.

Never goes out of tune either :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1048518' date='Dec 5 2010, 06:22 PM']an unlined board is really in the midst of higher end basses...[/quote]

Hmm - is that really true? I wouldn't say so. My first unlined fretless was a Kay back in 1989. Unlined boards don't have to equate with an expensive fretless bass.

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='1048639' date='Dec 5 2010, 07:59 PM']Hmm - is that really true? I wouldn't say so. My first unlined fretless was a Kay back in 1989. Unlined boards don't have to equate with an expensive fretless bass.[/quote]

+1. I've only ever had unlined fretlesses and the only one I ever bought that was moderately expensive was a Stingray.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='1048621' date='Dec 5 2010, 07:39 PM']Someone on here is selling a Vester for£150. I have the same model,and it's a mystery as to how it hasn't sold yet.[/quote]

I did see that one! funny enough Im looking at two others on here with big plans for both lol. So the old saying is true "Basses are a bit like buses. You wait for ages for one and two come along at once". Bit like life realy ;-)

A

[quote name='fatback' post='1048619' date='Dec 5 2010, 07:36 PM']I had my doubts about the pups until I started putting it passive through a sadowsky pre, and it's a different beast. Mwah by the bucket, and quite aggressive in a pleasing way once I got the rounds off and stuck some heavy elixirs on.

Very high output from the standard pups on this one anyhow.

Never goes out of tune either :)[/quote]

Cool. I suppose pups are replacable and it is a looker. Do like that 'Burns' Style roll top head ;-)

A

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1048531' date='Dec 5 2010, 06:30 PM']You want a [url="http://en.euroguitar.com/bass/cort/gb/75p-fretless-serie-limitee/124990.html"]Cort GB74[/url]

Or a [url="http://www.imuso.co.uk/Bass-Guitars/7711-/Cort-Curbow-4FL-Fretless-Bass-Cannon-Black?utm_source=googleproduct"]Cort Curbow[/url][/quote]

Why wasn't this available 2 years ago? I'm just getting a new fretless board put on my five string. Great bass - a bit over the OP's budget but well worth considering.