Why become a member? ×

Cabs with growl?

WonderHorse

T'other week I bought Pentode's Ampeg SVT CL and it's brilliant. I'm currently using it with a Marshall VBC412 which I'll probably get rid of due to the awkward size.

So I'm looking for something maybe a little smaller that has a lot more growl. More Geddy Lee-like if you will.

There's so many cabs out there I'm just a bit stumped.

Edited by WonderHorse

I would use the term "growl" to describe the sound that I get from either my BareFaced Vintage or the Compact. Fifteen inch speakers.... very light package.... extremely loud.

Remember though that Geddy Lee's tone is down to far more than the speakers he uses (or indeed [i]doesn't[/i] use!).

IMO, if you want an agressive growly tone, obviously its partly down to what bass you use (Jazz basses help) and having the amp just touching the 'break up' sound (if using a tube amp). Gallien's are well known for lots of growl, but obviously that doesnt help here.

Personally, Id seek a 2x10 (x2) or 4x10. I find having the horn on the cab a little brings out that brightness a little.

Depends on what you consider growl :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1045084' date='Dec 2 2010, 01:52 PM']IMO, if you want an agressive growly tone, obviously its partly down to what bass you use (Jazz basses help) and having the amp just touching the 'break up' sound (if using a tube amp). Gallien's are well known for lots of growl, but obviously that doesnt help here.

Personally, Id seek a 2x10 (x2) or 4x10. I find having the horn on the cab a little brings out that brightness a little.

Depends on what you consider growl :)[/quote]

Got a jazz bass - it's all I use at the minute.

Amp is an Ampeg SVT CL, normally played with the gain all the way up.

I've been looking at 2x10s but most of them are 8 ohms and the SVT is 4 or 2. :)

[quote name='umph' post='1045392' date='Dec 2 2010, 05:49 PM']something sealed[/quote]

I agree, plus crank the amp til it breaks up a little. Can you keep the master down whilst cranking the gain? Ive not used an SVT-CL indepth to be honest, only had a few chances to test one.

You are definitely on the right track!

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1046023' date='Dec 3 2010, 09:35 AM']I agree, plus crank the amp til it breaks up a little. Can you keep the master down whilst cranking the gain? Ive not used an SVT-CL indepth to be honest, only had a few chances to test one.

You are definitely on the right track![/quote]

The SVT CL doesn't break up as much as I'd like. Having said that playing over the bridge pick up helps, but I've never played in that position and I find it really odd.

[quote name='WonderHorse' post='1046027' date='Dec 3 2010, 09:37 AM']The SVT CL doesn't break up as much as I'd like. Having said that playing over the bridge pick up helps, but I've never played in that position and I find it really odd.[/quote]

Ah, I see. Im guessing youd have to be very loud to get it to break up. Thats one of the advantages I liked with the Orange amp; even at a low volume (practice volume) you can crank the gain right up and it breaks up nicely.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1046031' date='Dec 3 2010, 09:41 AM']Ah, I see. Im guessing youd have to be very loud to get it to break up. Thats one of the advantages I liked with the Orange amp; even at a low volume (practice volume) you can crank the gain right up and it breaks up nicely.[/quote]

Yeah, I might change one of the preamp valves out for something that breaks up a little sooner.

I've just bought two Ampeg 210AV cabs, which are sealed 200w 8 ohm, two cabs together 4 ohms. They have a very vintage tone, I'm using them with my early SVT and it really growls, 4001 and rotosounds though. I'm so impressed that I may buy another.

[quote name='WonderHorse' post='1044978' date='Dec 2 2010, 01:02 PM']Oh yea I know that, I just mentioned that as most folk on here will know what I mean.[/quote]

Geddy splits his signal i think, leaves his lows clean and distorts the top end. I hate bass distortion myself but if you are going to do it i would try and do this i think low end distortion on bass sound yuk!!!!!

[quote name='dan670844' post='1047703' date='Dec 4 2010, 07:42 PM']Geddy splits his signal i think, leaves his lows clean and distorts the top end. I hate bass distortion myself but if you are going to do it i would try and do this i think low end distortion on bass sound yuk!!!!![/quote]

I think you are generalizing and confusing a lot here, Geddy doesn't need to distort anything, it's the way he plays :) Or take Squire, lows are distorted highs are clean n that sounds far from yuk!!

[quote name='SS73' post='1047696' date='Dec 4 2010, 07:32 PM']I've just bought two Ampeg 210AV cabs, which are sealed 200w 8 ohm, two cabs together 4 ohms. They have a very vintage tone, I'm using them with my early SVT and it really growls, 4001 and rotosounds though. I'm so impressed that I may buy another.[/quote]
Been thinking about getting one of these to add in with my Orange Terror/Ampeg SVT 410HE for bigger gigs, where I need a bit more presence. Sounds like, coming from yr comments, this may be a good move. Cheers.

Presence, definitely, although I haven't actually gigged mine yet, at practices I've found that one on top of the other really would work in tight small gig's and our drummer's noted that it's nice to hear the definition as opposed to the lows, may not work for all places though. Orange Terror, very growl I think.

Edited by SS73

[quote name='SS73' post='1047954' date='Dec 5 2010, 02:07 AM']I think you are generalizing and confusing a lot here, Geddy doesn't need to distort anything, it's the way he plays :) Or take Squire, lows are distorted highs are clean n that sounds far from yuk!![/quote]

It defo is not a sound I like............... and its his eq i guess, but that is my preference!