Why become a member? ×

ray 35

fluffo

I'm thinking of getting a sterling ray 35, every review I've read says good things, I've had several stingray 5's in the past but cannot justify the high price tag for a back up bass.
Gimme your thoughts ,opinions whether you got one, tried one ect.
Black or honey burst?? ect

I believe they're Indonesian made SR5s, then they're shipped over to the US where they go through EBMM QC before being distributed. I think the materials used are all the same.

Since they're made from the same things and pass the same QC, I doubt there's much in them apart from where they're put together and the price. There's probably some slight difference in the electronics and wood quality too.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1041811' date='Nov 29 2010, 11:28 PM']Yeah im interested in these basses to...Where are they made, whats the spec difference, presuming there are some..my SR5 was killer.. could i expect the same super B string and build quality...[/quote]
acording to the reviews swamp ash body all else us design, well made, much the same the us ones but made in indonisia, as are the g&l's aswell as the corts and Laklands.

I had a Ray34 for a few months earlier this year and it was outstanding (IMO).

I sold a SUB to get it and i found the Ray34 to be better in every way to the SUB (ok, bring it on;-)

No, they aren't Real SR's but they sound like them, they play just as well, and are cheaper. I really like the matching headstocks. You would pay a lot more for a SR5 with that.

They are made in the same Cort factory they Lakland Skylines and a few others are made and when i had mine and a Duck Dunn i could see a very similar build quality.

Give it a few hours and this thread will be full of "buy the real thing second hand" posts :)

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1041969' date='Nov 30 2010, 09:02 AM']Give it a few hours and this thread will be full of "buy the real thing second hand" posts :)[/quote]

Only got SLO made MM's meself, but I would have been all over a Sterling MM if I could have got hold of a fretless Ray34 recently. Nicely made - definitely give a US one a run for it's money.

[quote name='martthebass' post='1042281' date='Nov 30 2010, 12:59 PM']Only got SLO made MM's meself, but I would have been all over a Sterling MM if I could have got hold of a fretless Ray34 recently. Nicely made - definitely give a US one a run for it's money.[/quote]

I would love a SLO SR4. i couldn't find one when i was in a position t afford one. Spent all my money then found the perfect one and couldn't afford it :-(

Im hoping to get a SB14 next year though. I wouldn't hesitate getting a SBMM again.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1042297' date='Nov 30 2010, 01:08 PM']I would love a SLO SR4. i couldn't find one when i was in a position t afford one. Spent all my money then found the perfect one and couldn't afford it :-(

Im hoping to get a SB14 next year though. I wouldn't hesitate getting a SBMM again.[/quote]

Know how you feel, I ended up buying a used SR5 fretless after waiting 3 months to pick up a fretless SR4 I could afford on BC. If SBMM's had been available fretless a lot of pain would have been spared.

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='MythSte' post='1042310' date='Nov 30 2010, 01:20 PM']I tried the 4 string version and its been the only bass to really blow me away all year :)

Felt so solid and ready in my hands![/quote]

I must admit ive only ever played two MM Stingrays but my Ray34 felt better than both. could be a set up issue as both were in shops but straight out of the box my Ray34 felt very comfortable.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1042314' date='Nov 30 2010, 01:23 PM']I must admit ive only ever played two MM Stingrays but my Ray34 felt better than both. could be a set up issue as both were in shops but straight out of the box my Ray34 felt very comfortable.[/quote]

I really cant wait for the SBMMs to start popping up second hand. I really cant justify paying full whack at the moment but boy do I want one...

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1042830' date='Nov 30 2010, 07:49 PM']Absolutpepper has one. Drop him a pm. I think he was thinking of selling it recently so it might still be in the for sale section.

Jez[/quote]

Haha thanks for the plug Jez.

I have a black on black one and it's great. I've decided to hold on to it as my GAS for another electric guitar came and went haha. I'd recommend a RAY 35 to anyone who was considering an SR5.

Chris

[quote name='MythSte' post='1042344' date='Nov 30 2010, 01:39 PM']I really cant wait for the SBMMs to start popping up second hand. I really cant justify paying full whack at the moment but boy do I want one...[/quote]

Ive only seen a couple on here so far, plus mine.

I sold mine for £350 (IIR) and that was with a Nordy in it so that brings it in line with the price of a SUB.
I know what i would buy given the choice (and having owned both).

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1043928' date='Dec 1 2010, 03:24 PM']Ive only seen a couple on here so far, plus mine.

I sold mine for £350 (IIR) and that was with a Nordy in it so that brings it in line with the price of a SUB.
I know what i would buy given the choice (and having owned both).[/quote]

If anyone reading has one up for £350 I'd take it!

• 1 month later...