Why become a member? ×

Songs you thought you'd never enjoy playing

Master blaster

Recently i joined a function band which play quite a few current pop songs. I've spend pretty much all my gigging life playing rock music but i must say i'm actually enjoying playing more cheesy repetitive pop music quite a bit more. Tbh im kinda shocked myself but im really enjoying this band and i hope to be a part of it for a while. Heres the set list so far. There are some other styles like soul, motown, hiphop and rock.

1. Superstition – Stevie Wonder
2. You’ve got the love – Florence and the Machine
3. Use Somebody – Kings of Leon
4. F*ck You - Cee Lo Green
5. Toxic – Shitney Beers
6. American Boy – Estelle
7. Beggin’ – Madcon
8. Car Wash – Rose Royce/Christina Aguilera
9. Valerie - Mark Ronson
10. Hey Ya! – OutKast
11. Rock Your Body – Justin Timberlake
12. Mr Brightside – Killers
13. The way you make me feel – Michael Jackson
14. Rihanna – Umbrella live version
15. Plan B – She Said
16. I Kissed a Girl – Katy Perry
17. Heartbeat – Scouting for Girls
18. In for the Kill – La Roux
19. You make me Wanna Die – The Pretty Reckless
20. Chain of Fools – Aretha Franklin
21. Sweet Child of Mine – Sheryl Crow
22. Rehab – Amy Winehouse
23. Rescue Me – Fontella Bass
24. About You Now – Sugababes
25. Never Forget You – Noisettes

Has anyone else found themselves playing songs/styles that they wouldn't in a million years think they'd enjoy??

[quote name='Master blaster' post='1040876' date='Nov 29 2010, 10:10 AM']Has anyone else found themselves playing songs/styles that they wouldn't in a million years think they'd enjoy??[/quote]

At family gatherings, my brother(sax), father(piano/organ) and myself(bass) will usually have a session playing a few old jazz standards. Mood Indigo, Getting Sentimental Over You, Lullaby of the Leaves, Sweet Georgia Brown, Limehouse Blues, After You've Gone, Has Anybody Seen My Gal, Ain't Misbehaving etc etc

I'm the youngest, at 50, and my father is in his eighties. I'm sure it's more fun to play than to listen to, but it's great to have an activity we can all share and enjoy.

Edited by Earbrass

Just about everything by Eyehategod. I'd quite happily play a set of this material - what I had assumed to be utter sludge, is actually a really good opportunity to have a rock out. I'm quite partial to a bit of Sister f***er, which sounds more sinister than intended, I assure you! :)