Why become a member? ×

Fretless maple Precision (or Jazz) necks

philw

All,

I have a plan to create a bits and pieces precision using the body of a Lake Placid Blue Squire Classic Vibe 50s Precision. Trouble is, to get the bass I'm after (and the look), the neck would have to be an unlined fretless with a maple fingerboard – not a standard item from the likes of Mighty Mite, All Parts or Warmouth. So any suggestions where I might find one (other than keeping an eye on eBay or ordering a completely custom neck)?

Phil

Unlined maple fretless fingerboard P-bass necks are not that common - so unless you want to wait a long time - I'd suggest these people

[url="http://www.bhefner.com/"]http://www.bhefner.com/[/url]

Funnily enough I've just received an unlined maple fingerboard equipped Jazz bass neck for a project I am putting together. - very happy with it.

A quick look on their site shows a P-bass neck with nut and satin or gloss polyurethane coating comes in at $238 - so around £158 - you'll have to add shipping and tax/import duty - so you should get one all in for about the £200 mark.

See a quick piccie I took......

[attachment=65241:Fless.jpg]

[quote name='walbassist' post='1040655' date='Nov 29 2010, 12:13 AM']Have you parked the Veillette then Phil?[/quote]

Gareth,

No, the Veillette is still on the way. Should be with me week after next. It's a piezo only one though and I'm still hankering after something Precision based in Lake Placid Blue with a maple fretless fingerboard. Got the possibility of a previously loved Squire 50s Classic Vibe, but I already know the standard neck on it will be too chunky for me – hence thinking about a replacement neck.

Phil

[quote name='philw' post='1040728' date='Nov 29 2010, 07:42 AM']No, the Veillette is still on the way. Should be with me week after next. It's a piezo only one though and I'm still hankering after something Precision based in Lake Placid Blue with a maple fretless fingerboard. Got the possibility of a previously loved Squire 50s Classic Vibe, but I already know the standard neck on it will be too chunky for me – hence thinking about a replacement neck.[/quote]

Ah I see, well that's a relief. Quick turnaround on the new bass too?

Hi Phil

They're a lot more common in the US and can be picked up relatively cheap (for a 70's Fender neck that) is through ebay. There were two complete basses with unlined maple necks for sale on here recently, one was my old '77 neck on Shaggy's lovely old '78 natural Precision, the other was the MIJ Precision which (I think) Andy Travis was selling

Good luck

Chris

Hi Phil,

I believe they (B.Hefner) can do the early 50's headstock shape if you want to preserve the vintage look.

Shoot - now you're giving me ideas !

I got my P Bass neck from the very same model of bass as Andy Travis above - natural ash body - and put it on a MIJ sunburst P-Bass body. I got my MIJ instruments from Ishibashi in Japan in 2006.

Don't think they sell new instruments now due to Fender getting all uppity, but I imagine it's not a problem for used instruments. Another possible source I suppose but not likely to be as fruitful as US e-bay or B.Hefner.

If you do go down the B. Hefner route you'll have to add tuners as well mind....

Don't forget piccies when you get the bass you want !

[quote name='dmz' post='1041639' date='Nov 29 2010, 10:00 PM']If you do go down the B. Hefner route you'll have to add tuners as well mind....[/quote]

One of the most important (and overlooked) points is the finish. The standard finish Hefner spray onto their necks might not be thick enough to cope with the constant abrasion of rounds. At the very least you'd need a urethane finish, not cellulose, sprayed rather thicker on the board than on the rest of the neck, and if you're really serious most commercial coated fretless (like Pedulla and the old Fenders) are sprayed in the dreaded polyester. The alternative is epoxy (which is what I use) as it's tough and safer to apply but you won't find much 'off the shelf'.

I'll certainly keep tabs on the fingerboard wear situation. I had a Lakland 55-02 modded by The Gallery in Camden and the unlined maple board was given a lovely thick polyurethane coating which has proven to be quite robust. So, if there is a problem on that front I can get them to do it.

I believe Mr Shuker can do such work as well, though I am sure I have heard mention of others.

Please feel free to post your recommendations !