Why become a member? ×

Machinehead

Emmaemme

Yes, bought a few items from them. The guy who owns it, or did, dunno abt now, not been there for a while, is Geoff. Very decent bloke, and sorted a great deal for me on some 2nd hand bass gear when I started playing bass in a band again. Their prices aren`t the cheapest about, but, if you`re p-exing, they seem to offer more, so it evens out in the long run.

Only 5 miles from me in Hitchin. As the bass department is upstairs it's good to be able to go in and get little disturbance from the screechers on he ground floor. They set me up with a BIG Roland combo and left me to my own devices. Played everything I wanted without a hassle. Nice.

Balcro.

Oh forgot to mention - they have a guitar tech onsite in a [b]proper[/b] workshop up on the top floor near the acoustic section, and that is [b]all[/b] he does - not a spotty little shop oik with a set of allen keys and a chisel perched on a packing crate in the corner of the stockroom :)

The deal is that they setup anything you've bought FOC and continue to tweak it to your requirements until you are totally happy.

As I said earlier on in the thread, I've not been there for a few years now as they are quite a distance away from where I live now so things may have changed - but to my mind they were one of the best shops around!

Geoff no longer owns it, it's a chap called Dave who's a very nice guy, but to my eyes the shop has seriously lost its way and is feeling very tired these days, especially in the bass department.

They also don't have Barrie (their old tech), he defected to Gig Gear in Harlow - that room seems to be used as a photo studio now for some reason :S

It's still well worth a look, and providing you get a sensible sales dood, then the service is still good but it's a bit pricey and you can't park for miles - grr!

Cheers,
James

[quote name='Moos3h' post='1040472' date='Nov 28 2010, 09:26 PM']Geoff no longer owns it, it's a chap called Dave who's a very nice guy, but to my eyes the shop has seriously lost its way and is feeling very tired these days, especially in the bass department.

They also don't have Barrie (their old tech), he defected to Gig Gear in Harlow - that room seems to be used as a photo studio now for some reason :S

It's still well worth a look, and providing you get a sensible sales dood, then the service is still good but it's a bit pricey and you can't park for miles - grr![/quote]

Ah - I've been living up here for about 5 years now so am out of touch with whats been happening down there.
I first started going there in the 80's when Keith & Pam owned it.
Parking was always a nightmare on Saturdays from what I remember - I used to try and avoid market days :) .

I now feel very very old... :lol: :)