Why become a member? ×

gibson thunderbird iv/studio

larrikin

Ok, I have a black studio which at the moment i am running through a little ashdown combi. i have an ampeg svt classic head but as of yet i don't have a cab.

what would people recommend, i am thinking of changing to an iv as i think they are lighter and look slightly cooler. what does everyone else think?

Guest TheBigBeefChief

And the Studios have a "set-in" neck whereas the IV's are through neck. Also, the Studio has a re-designed headstock. It's got a similar design but smaller in an effort to reduce the neck nive. Also, the Studio has a one piece body whereas the IV has glued on wings.

I've owned a Studio for 1 week, great sound, however Gibson's shoddy QC and the shops poor customer service meant it was sadly returned and swapped with a MIA Jazz.

Guest TheBigBeefChief

And in answer to your original question, I agree the IV is a cooler looking instrument but no idea how they play - it has that Motley Crue vibe about it. It will help shag strippers and probably lead to a heroin addiction.

Go for it I say.

I used a white Epiphone Thunderbird all last year in a metal band.

All I can tell you is, it was a nicer playing, nicer sounding, better looking bass than any Gibsons I had tried.

Close up, the build quality on the Epi was a little shakey in places, but only cosmetically. The Gibsons I tried also had finish issues by the way, especially around the neck joint.

The Epi fretboard was dark and smooth, almost like ebony, and the sound was just awesome, big bottom end with loads of punch too, very Steve Harris sounding to me. Not a lot of top end, but that's TBs for you.

If I was in the market for a TB right now, I would go straight for another white Epi. If you [i]have[/i] to have the word "Gibson" on the headstock, fair enough, fork out the cash, but IMO, the Epiphone Thunderbird is a superb bass at a fraction of the cost of the "real thing".

Mine came online from imuso.co.uk a couple of years back. They were a limited run, but I still see them about.

Here you go:

[url="http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=EG00702"]http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=EG00702[/url]

Also, FWIW, when I went to see UFO in '06, Pete Way was using an Epiphone. If it's good enough for him..............

Edited by Rayman

Well, I have a black Gibson T'bird that I bought 2nd hand a few years back and I love it. Starting to get a bit tatty in places, which makes me feel the finish could be a bit more robust to start with. I also have a worry about the headstock getting smacked off one day too.. I know it's a weak spot on these.

I love the sound I get from mine, it's big, has mondo sustain, has a dirty edge to it and I just love it. Saying that my Jazz draws me back for twiddling around at home. My T'bird is my main gigging bass (though I am in mind for a Precision that could share the billing) and it just looks damn fine too.

What do I hate? The stupid bloody neck dive!! grrrrrrr. And access to the top end frets can be a bugger too.

To date, I don't have a heroin adiction. :)

[quote name='Marky L' post='121537' date='Jan 16 2008, 03:59 PM']Well, I have a black Gibson T'bird that I bought 2nd hand a few years back and I love it. Starting to get a bit tatty in places, which makes me feel the finish could be a bit more robust to start with. I also have a worry about the headstock getting smacked off one day too.. I know it's a weak spot on these.

I love the sound I get from mine, it's big, has mondo sustain, has a dirty edge to it and I just love it. Saying that my Jazz draws me back for twiddling around at home. My T'bird is my main gigging bass (though I am in mind for a Precision that could share the billing) and it just looks damn fine too.

What do I hate? The stupid bloody neck dive!! grrrrrrr. And access to the top end frets can be a bugger too.

To date, I don't have a heroin adiction. :)[/quote]

Neck dive? Try moving the strap pin as close to the "heel" as possible (yes, I know it's a neck through, hence the quotes)

[quote name='Buzz' post='121553' date='Jan 16 2008, 04:18 PM']Neck dive? Try moving the strap pin as close to the "heel" as possible (yes, I know it's a neck through, hence the quotes)[/quote]

Yeah. I'm aware of that one and maybe I will once it gets properly tatty. I just hate hacking stuff about.

I have an Epi Tbird and it's superb. It honestly sounds like a Gibson to me, particularly through my super sweet, lovely tube amp and cab. My no.1 bass is a US Precision, but the other day i plugged in my Epi and it was just so 'Rock!' Deeper, thicker!

For the record, i did date a lap dancer for a bit when the Tbird was my No.1 bass, so the BigBeefChief is right. No heroin addiction though.

[quote name='Tee' post='122986' date='Jan 18 2008, 11:14 AM']I have an Epi Tbird and it's superb. It honestly sounds like a Gibson to me, particularly through my super sweet, lovely tube amp and cab. My no.1 bass is a US Precision, but the other day i plugged in my Epi and it was just so 'Rock!' Deeper, thicker!

For the record, i did date a lap dancer for a bit when the Tbird was my No.1 bass, so the BigBeefChief is right. No heroin addiction though.[/quote]

The US Birds have Gibson's TBPlus pickups whereas the Epi version has Korean pickups that bear very little resemblance tone and soundwise to the US version. The Epibirds have a pretty good sound on their own IMO (sounds very P-Bassish, liked the one I had) but nothing like a Gibson.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Rayman' post='121960' date='Jan 17 2008, 09:18 AM']Yeah, I just learned to live with the dive, it really didn't bother me at all after a while.

All this talk of TBs, it's making me want another one!![/quote]

Buy mine!

Seriously (coming back on topic) I started with the Epi and then moved on to the Gibson. I defy anyone to play both and not agree that there is a genuine difference. Whether that difference is enough to justify the difference in cost is another thing. But having the right badge does help in the Feel Good stakes. Like, riding a Jap chopper and wondering what a real Harley is like. One thing's for sure. Buy used. A gibson will keep its value, and if you buy-use-sell, the real cost is negligble.

Larrikin. I'm also looking for a white one. I'd rather it used than new. If it becomes too difficult or expensive, i may settle for a studio or the Gibson Gothic. I was informed the other day that Gibson don't ship over white ones, as the warranty on the finish becomes void. Something to do with the finish possibly cracking/discolouring during air transport. I have no idea if this is correct. I wonder therefore how i managed to buy a classic white SG bass (same nitro finish) here in a London shop, a couple of years back.
I can get a shop to go to the states to get me one, but they're quoting me pretty much the RRP.

Edited by Tee

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='151204' date='Mar 4 2008, 06:09 PM']I defy anyone to play both and not agree that there is a genuine difference. Whether that difference is enough to justify the difference in cost is another thing. But having the right badge does help in the Feel Good stakes. Like, riding a Jap chopper and wondering what a real Harley is like. One thing's for sure. Buy used. A gibson will keep its value, and if you buy-use-sell, the real cost is negligble.[/quote]
I agree there is a difference - the maple neck on the epi means its probably less likely to suffer decapitation, the epi can have its neck shimmed and its easy to relocate the strap button to the heel area to cure the neckdive, the epi is a lot cheaper, they do sound different, but the epi still sounds great even with the stock pickups. The truss rod cover on the Gibson is nicer though.

Joe Punter / Sally Stripper don't care what log is on the headstock - they probably don't know the difference betwen a guitar & a bass anyway. I chose an epi over a gibson because of the differences not despite (& also for the arctic white finish), - maybe I'm weird :)